Distance on a treadmill

How many is a mile?
How many estimated cals are in a mile?
Different articles show diff numbers.
I know its really an estimate but I dont wanna log in a higher number than it really is smh

Replies

• saundraxo
    saundraxo Posts: 65 Member
    What mine looks like
  • MT1134
    MT1134 Posts: 173 Member
    1600m
    5280ft

Not sure how cals are estimated.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Cals per mile from walking ~= body weight in pounds / 3.
  • saundraxo
    This is after 30 mins

@NorthCascades
    @MT1134

i take a 10 min break n start over. Its just weird i changed the cals part but my watch says 300 after 1 hr. So 60 for 30 is weird idk which is right
  • saundraxo
    I only burn 60 cals in 30 mins? Im assuming u meant divide by 3?
  • saundraxo
    Even MFP is generous with the cals
  • NorthCascades
    I weigh about 240 pounds. (Don't judge, I'm 6'1!)

Every mile I walk "costs" about 80 kcals. A little more uphill, but not as much as I wish. It's physics, mass over distance is a certain amount of work. If I walk 1 mph, I'm going to burn 80 cals in an hour, if I walk 3 mph I'll burn 240 in that hour. Give or take a little but not much.

If you want to get technical, that's how many "extra" calories I'm burning. I burn calories in my sleep, having a heart beat and dreams and everything. So every hour burns more but you can't count your background calories as exercise because you'd be burning them anyway.
  • NorthCascades
    Also:

* Log everything you eat for a month.
    * Use a food scale.
    * Log your exercise, whatever estimate you feel is appropriate, for that same month.
    * Weigh in, ideally every day, at least on the first and last day of this experiment.
    * Compare how much weight you actually lost against what the numbers say you should have.

And then you'll know.

Bonus points if you use a weight trending app, because it smooths out the random ups and downs, making it easier to focus on where you're going.
  • saundraxo
    @NorthCascades yeah i ser people weighing food and i wont do it. Not gonna add extra stress tbh lol im sire it helps but itll drive me crazy

I do 30 mins rest 10 then 30
    Or 15 rest 5 and do it 2 times

I go from 4mph to 4.5 to 5 then 5.5 so i guess theres no telling. I cant jog or anything to do HIIT cuz its small and i dont wanna leave the house so i fast walk at 5.5 any higher ill fly off then my last 5 mins i go down 4 or up 5 depending

I have no incline on my treadmill. I always under eat but if i work out it adds back up. Lmao

I don't even use the scale cuz its off. My dr said im 181 my scale says 190. So i measured myself and i guess ill measure after a month.

Im not judging. Im over weight for my heigh. Im 4"11 my goal is to be 150 but i just want my flat stomach back lmao so i mean it is what it is
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,674 Member
    If you log your exercise, there is a category "walking 5 mph". That will take your weight into account and tell you how many calories you burn in an hour.

You don't have to weigh everything you eat as long as you are still losing weight without doing that. If you find your weight loss stalling, then you will probably find it helpful to start being more careful in measuring your food.
  • MT1134
    MT1134 Posts: 173 Member
    Measuring calories isn't an exact science. I would go with what you field works best for you and try that.

There are many different calculations that are accepted but measuring how many each individual Burns over time is no easy feat.

My advice is to take pictures today and then take pictures 30 days from now. The scale will say a lot of things but your pictures will give you direction.

I've seen a lot of people ready to give up because the scale says one thing but when they take their before and after pictures they see a noticeable difference that motivates them more than the number on the scale ever could. So don't get tied to that number.
  • BasedGawd412
    BasedGawd412 Posts: 346 Member
  • saundraxo
    Yeah I dont get on the scale because its gonna drive u crazy. U can weigh diff every day depending on if u eat or poop or bladder or in my case bloat because of my menstrual cycle so theres no point. I took photos a month ago but i wasnt doing the treadmill at that tine. I was doing situps squats and tricep curls abd i added 10 every week abd i stopped when i hit 40 because i got sick and depressed from personal reasons n had nothing to do with weight loss. Now i need to try and add those back in maybe or try the kettle ball like somekne suggested

@MT114
    @spiriteagle99

@BasedGawd412 ill try that thanks!
  • saundraxo
    Calculator says 248 going 5 for 30 mins. So i guess MFP is maybe 15 cals generous ish lol. So maybe i can estimate it
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    saundraxo wrote: »
    Calculator says 248 going 5 for 30 mins. So i guess MFP is maybe 15 cals generous ish lol. So maybe i can estimate it

There's a good chance that you're actually running to achieve 5mph for 30 minutes. Maintaining that speed at a walking stride is really tough. Biomechanically it's actually easier to run 5mph then it is to walk 5mph.

If you are using a running stride (both feet off the ground at the same time), then each mile will burn 60% of your body weight per mile (for example, a 150 pound man will burn ~90 calories per mile when running). In this case, 248 calories for 2.5 miles doesn't sound too unreasonable.

If you are using a walking stride (at least one foot touching the ground at all times), then the 30% formula given above holds (for example, a 150 pound man will burn ~45 calories per mile when walking). In this case, 248 for 2.5 miles is pretty high. I'd guesstimate the calorie burn at half that.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    DX2JX2 wrote: »

There's a good chance that you're actually running to achieve 5mph for 30 minutes. Maintaining that speed at a walking stride is really tough. Biomechanically it's actually easier to run 5mph then it is to walk 5mph.

If you are using a running stride (both feet off the ground at the same time), then each mile will burn 60% of your body weight per mile (for example, a 150 pound man will burn ~90 calories per mile when running). In this case, 248 calories for 2.5 miles doesn't sound too unreasonable.

If you are using a walking stride (at least one foot touching the ground at all times), then the 30% formula given above holds (for example, a 150 pound man will burn ~45 calories per mile when walking). In this case, 248 for 2.5 miles is pretty high. I'd guesstimate the calorie burn at half that.

I agree. I'm 5'7" tall and my walking pace is just a hair over 4 mph. Achieving 5 for any decent amount of time requires more race-walking or jogging.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,292 Member
    edited June 2019
    If you log your exercise, there is a category "walking 5 mph". That will take your weight into account and tell you how many calories you burn in an hour.

You don't have to weigh everything you eat as long as you are still losing weight without doing that. If you find your weight loss stalling, then you will probably find it helpful to start being more careful in measuring your food.

walking 5mph, who can walk that fast... maybe 5kmph. not sure what OP is really asking

1mile = 1.6 kms.

So if your treadmil is in KM you can get cals burned walking by taking your body weiht in lbs and divided by it by 4.8. so if you weight 150 lbs and walked 4km that would be 150*4/ or 125 cals for miles that would be 150*2.5/3 as the 4.8/km is the same as 3/mile and the 2.5miles = 4 km
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    OP, the clear photo of your treadmill display indicates that you're measuring kilometers. Don't forget to convert to miles before using the equation supplied by @NorthCascades.

5 kilometers is 3.1 miles. That would be about 190 calories for 5 kilometers.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    I average just under 100Calories a mile for short runs and then anything over 10 it goes up a bit. But that's outside when I'm battling the elements.

Only ever run up to 3.1 on a treadmill and its normally around 100Cal/mile (330 for my last 3.1)
  • saundraxo
    DX2JX2 wrote: »

@DX2JX2 No im not running or aorinting at 5. Im just heavily fast walking. I tried at 6 which was way faster but still not tona jogging point. Treadmill isnt big enough to run that 5. So i walk it out. Which is probably why im exhausted after my 30 min session lol