Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Juice Cleanses...is there ever any benefit?

Okay, please don’t give me any hate for this. It’s just a genuine question that I can’t seem to have a concrete answer to. I am not looking for a quick fix. I am in it for the long haul. I am counting all of my calories eaten and burned. I am losing 1.5 a week and although I’m still relatively getting back into things, I have kept that consistent now for several consecutive weeks. I am not over-restricting or overeating. I just wanted to get all of that out there first.

So back to my question...is there ever any benefit to them? Are they all inherently bad for you? I used to do a cleanse when I was younger every so often when I’d fluctuate up in my weight a little. I used it for a quick fix, but it never really gave me any true feeling of benefit, so I haven’t done one in over 5 years. I found out recently, that the one I used to use is very high in sugars, and although it tasted good, it didn’t have any real health benefits. Shocker, I know! 😅 But I guess my question is, without being shot down immediately, and with everyone keeping an open mind, is there any benefits that they can provide at all? I know it’s likely none will be long-lasting, and there’s no evidence to support that any have lasting benefits. But are they all truly terrible? Or are there some good ones out there that may have something to offer temporarily? If the answer is no, I will put this to rest. I just have to know if they are all a scam, or if there are some good ones that can pose some positive effects. Thanks!

Replies

• Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,902 Member
    No hate for this lol. To add my opinion...I don't buy into any "cleansing" product or regimen. I do intermittently fast on occasion, but that's more due to simply not eating if I'm not hungry, usually breakfast. As far as the juice goes - enjoy juice if you like it, maybe even choose what you're drinking for it's nutritional value, but let your body do it's own natural cleansing. Our bodies are pretty good at it.

Keep it simple - no magic cleanses required.

Like I said..just my opinion.
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    I do either a 3 or 5 day juice diet a few times a year. The benefits are related to my chronic pain, illness and inflammation. In between I work specific juices in each week in addition to my normal diet. I have never seen any benefits related to weight, cravings, etc. The juice shop I get mine from also customizes it for my specific health issues, its not a generic one you buy online or at a grocery store.

So there can be benefits outside of what the weight loss industry tells you, and people use juicing for a lot more than weight loss.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,958 Member
    Probably very little if any, and no real evidence for it.

^^^This...

• floofyschmoofer
    floofyschmoofer Posts: 209 Member
    If you enjoy being relentlessly hungry, it might be fun.
  • floofyschmoofer
    floofyschmoofer Posts: 209 Member
    I do either a 3 or 5 day juice diet a few times a year. The benefits are related to my chronic pain, illness and inflammation. In between I work specific juices in each week in addition to my normal diet. I have never seen any benefits related to weight, cravings, etc. The juice shop I get mine from also customizes it for my specific health issues, its not a generic one you buy online or at a grocery store.

So there can be benefits outside of what the weight loss industry tells you, and people use juicing for a lot more than weight loss.

I struggle monthly with my cycle due to extreme period pain/likely endometriosis. I would totally try a Woo-woo juice cleanse if it would help the pain.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,581 Member
    edited June 2019
    I think juicing could provide nutritional benifits if it helps you consume a wide range of fruits and veggies that you would not otherwise eat.

I do not think they provide any detoxing benifits - and isn't really comparable to temporary stopping alcohol consumption.

Stopping consuming something potentially harmful, certainly in excess ( ie alcohol) isn't really comparable to adding something like juices.

No harm in juices, unless the calorie amount is too high for you.

But no magic benifits either.

This.
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    @Phirrgus Nonetheless, it's still a juice cleanse. That is what it is called. It's not called a detox. So it further proves that there can be good ones, and beneficial ones, but not all of them are and whether you will find them beneficial depends on many factors, including your reason for doing it and the quality of cleanse you buy.
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Just to piggy back off of this a little, the argument I’ve heard for them, is that the body cleanses itself (which I know) but a good cleanse can give your body a break from the hard work of doing this itself for a few days. Again, not sure if it’s true or a complete lie, but figured I’d add that in.

Your body simply doesn't need a break from performing its normal everyday functions. If you really think about it, that would be like holding your breath to give your lungs a rest. So, yes, that's complete hokum. ;)

And, honestly, if your body isn't able to naturally rid you of whatever needs to be gotten rid of, you need prompt medical attention, not a boatload of juice. :)
    :joy: I like this a lot