Discussion removed?

How and why does a discussion get removed? I'm sure there's some long guideline somewhere I haven't read, but I was searching for a discussion I was reading yesterday and it seems to have disappeared. Did the OP remove it or was it removed by MFP? Does this site have moderators? Just curious because it was an interesting thread.

Replies

• lauragreenbaum
    lauragreenbaum Posts: 1,017 Member
    Ah... I just read the rules. Someone must have posted something that got the thread reported and removed. Bummer.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    You can remove a discussion if you started it by “reporting” your own thread and asking the mods to remove it. The mods can also remove a thread, but they usually close it and tell why first. Sometimes if a thread gets off topic they move it over to chit-chat. I would use the search tool to see if you can find it.
  • lauragreenbaum
    apullum wrote: »
    You can remove a discussion if you started it by “reporting” your own thread and asking the mods to remove it. The mods can also remove a thread, but they usually close it and tell why first. Sometimes if a thread gets off topic they move it over to chit-chat. I would use the search tool to see if you can find it.

Hi- I did the search tool and a weird notice popped up that read "you don't have permission for that". Um, ok.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    The board is pretty heavily moderated, but it's rare for them to delete entire discussions. Usually they will delete certain posts in the discussion or close it to further comments, but they will not delete it in its entirety unless the original post itself promotes something that is contrary to the rules (like very low calorie diets).
  • lauragreenbaum
    A lot of the really "interesting" threads where wide differences of opinion are being "passionately" discussed get closed down fast. I have been here for years and in the past threads had a lot more leeway to develop before being locked. They were a lot more fun and interesting too in my opinion. But these days "interesting" threads get closed fast.

There is always the debate forum that can be interesting and very informative.

Hmmmm. Well this one did get quite off topic, so maybe the OP asked to have it removed.
  • MrsTitus2
    MrsTitus2 Posts: 61 Member
    If you talk bad about soda pop or eating fast food you will get reported. :D
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,981 Member
    MikePTY wrote: »
    The board is pretty heavily moderated, but it's rare for them to delete entire discussions. Usually they will delete certain posts in the discussion or close it to further comments, but they will not delete it in its entirety unless the original post itself promotes something that is contrary to the rules (like very low calorie diets).

I find quite a few threads do get removed in their entirety - like OP I look in my notifications and see there are many replies but thread has been removed from view - I get either You do not have permission for that pop up or Thread cannot be found pop up.