Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Shady coworker poll. Am I over reacting?

gearhead426hemi
gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
I work rotating 12 hour shift work. There are 4 shifts of 2 people plus a couple trainees. I finally convinced management to allow us to get some workout equipment to keep around for nightshifts and down time to stay active. A couple guys here have had heart attacks and we sit around for the majority of our shift so I want to encourage others to get more active. I found a long term free loan for a Concept 2 rower and a entire tower of dumbbell weights. My shift partner and I workout for 60 minutes every shift including at least 30 minutes on the rower. On my shift rotation out one of the other guys said he polled all the employees and they said they would prefer a treadmill. So I agreed if everyone would USE the treadmill I would give up the rower for the better of the group. I checked on the treadmill history and asked everyone and I was the only one who used the treadmill in 30 days. I HATE treadmills but since that's all I had at work I was using it. I told the guy who took the rower home for his wife I might add that I wanted the rower back since no one is using the treadmill. He through a fit and is complaining that he can't afford to buy his wife a rower and is trying to get out of bringing the rower back. Am I out of line for demanding it back since I prefer the rower and not a single person is using the treadmill? Please comment and let me know.

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Is there space for both the rower and the treadmill? If so, I don't get why it's one or the other.
    I don't know what type of workplace this is but I'm in an office/manufacturing plant and it's hard to imagine us having room for one of those things but not both (we'd have ample room for both).

It also sounds like the guy who took the rower home for his wife shouldn't have done so, like another post mentioned.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Yeah... how come the guy got to take the rower home? It's not like when we take, you know, one of those little boxes of staples from the stationery cupboard for the home stapler...

• Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited June 2019
    Why don't you do another vote for rower vs. treadmill given the outcome of no one actually wanting to use the treadmill? Was said poll really conducted or were results just fabricated or overly generalized?

Al Gore demands a recount...
    Yeah, this is what you get for doing the adult thing & being considerate about your work environment as a whole going with the popular decision. Bait and switch BS
  • Stew501
    Stew501 Posts: 65 Member
    Y'all hiring? 😆

😂😂😂
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    Did the employer end up giving it to him or something? I don’t see how he would be entitled to take it, you missed addressing that part.
  • GoodLardy
    GoodLardy Posts: 163 Member
    Oh man, I feel for you. Swapping a rower for a treadmill, ouch.