Recomposition: Maintaining weight while losing fat

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    @kingers0

You had some good simple advice from @sardelsa @Cassandraw3 and @Dvdgzz
    (Also some poor and complex advice but let's gloss over that...)

Keep it simple, be clear about your goals, track your progress (pictures, strength increases, tape measurements), train well and train hard, be patient, enjoy the process as well as the results
  • raficdafer2000
    raficdafer2000 Posts: 11 Member
    This thread helps a lot but I have a question in terms of lifting. When recomping, is it better to do high reps low weight till burn out or heavy weight low reps?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    This thread helps a lot but I have a question in terms of lifting. When recomping, is it better to do high reps low weight till burn out or heavy weight low reps?

Doesn't matter as much as it was thought before.

You can gain muscle any where in traditional range.

You merely have to present a reason to grow more.
  • Dvdgzz
    Dvdgzz Posts: 437 Member

Depends on your goals. If they are strength centered, you want to keep going heavy so that you don't lose it. Pretty much, keep doing what you're doing. Just like @heybales said, as far as keeping muscle mass, it shouldn't matter, just keep pushing yourself.
  • jeffrey_ad
    jeffrey_ad Posts: 789 Member
    eaz6c3qcpq4d.jpeg
    I am starting to work on recomp.
    Stats:
    Height: 5’10’
    CW: 173.6
    SW: 216
    %BF ~20
    I am doing StrongLifts 5x5 and am on week 7.
    I’ve decided to try cycling calories at maintenance on lift days and 200 deficit on off days. Right now this is 2100/1900. I do a fair amount of cardio (Zumba, running and HIIT) but am cutting that a bit.
  • heybales
    edited June 2019
    @jeffrey_ad

Not sure how you are cycling - just plan on fact the recovery from a good workout like that is 24-48 hrs after.
    So actually cutting calories the next day is not the best bet when body can have the most use of it for repair/recovery.

Usually a minor deficit won't hurt in the time before a workout if meal timing is right to get a good workout in.

If this is morning workout - perhaps not that bad. If evening, keep that recovery window in mind.
    Our midnight of logging calories for a day isn't related to the cycles of the body.

Good plan and an update in the future will be great encouragement for people too.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    @jeffrey_ad, I think you're doing great and StrongLifts will definitely inch you along the path of progress.

We have amazingly close stats with starting weight, current weight and height. I just had my body fat measured yesterday with a DXA scan and it's slightly lower than yours. I'm a decade plus older than you at age 64.

I do lots of running too as my primary goals are cardiovascular conditioning and strength endurance. I believe LISS cardio would serve you well in your recomp journey, such as good old-fashioned brisk walking for 30 to 60 minutes. Problem with walking is it's time-consuming.

Wishing you the best, keep marching forward.
  • Pipsqueak1965
    Pipsqueak1965 Posts: 397 Member
    I guess I'm in this area too - want to get a bit stronger, and improve muscles in legs mainly (difficult as I have chronic knee pain, that comes and goes, and am only just recovering from strained rec.fem), and lose a little bit of body fat. I'm 54 (argh), weigh about 105-106 pounds, guess body fat is around 20-22%. Currently walk a fair amount, do a couple of full body weights workouts in gym, and a little bit of yoga. I know I need to do at least one more weights session.
  • EliseTK1
    EliseTK1 Posts: 479 Member
    @stdyh4nd Lookin good! That's quite an accomplishment. I haven't had the courage to take pics yet, but I'm two months in and seeing great results, so I guess I should do that soon. I still have about ten pounds to lose.
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    edited July 2019
    @stdyh4nd Dang. Even your jawline sharpened. Nicely done!
  • tthickens637
    tthickens637 Posts: 312 Member
    I guess I'm in this area too - want to get a bit stronger, and improve muscles in legs mainly (difficult as I have chronic knee pain, that comes and goes, and am only just recovering from strained rec.fem), and lose a little bit of body fat. I'm 54 (argh), weigh about 105-106 pounds, guess body fat is around 20-22%. Currently walk a fair amount, do a couple of full body weights workouts in gym, and a little bit of yoga. I know I need to do at least one more weights session.

Wow... your doing great. Why do you need to do more weight workouts? I'm 60 and just do two a week. I also row a couple times a week and get a good amount of steps in too. I feel like I need the recovery time between lifting otherwise my joints start to hurt. I'm interested in anyone's thoughts about frequency of workouts (btw, I'm just trying to do a slow and steady recomp:).
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    edited July 2019
    stdyh4nd wrote: »
    stdyh4nd wrote: »

Here's the results of 10 months of recomp with little tracking. I ate my post workout meal 80% of the time and used common sense and trendweight to adjust different habits. Overall I lost 7 lbs of fat and gained 5 lbs of lean mass during this period. I reached my goal of 15% body fat and am now switching to a lean bulk since it will be difficult to continue lose BF% in this manner.

This experiment taught me that very little input can create results, albeit much slower than other methods. Ultimately if you don't want to stress over macros and minutia it works very well even training only 3 days a week. Very good for people who lead busy lives and can't be bothered to weigh every meal etc. My new goal is to achieve 12% BF on the dexa and I'll be doing this by attempting to gain 8 lbs of mostly lean mass in 4 months. I'll probably start a thread in the weight gain/body building boards if you want to see that transformation. Cheers everyone!

Dude, you look awesome! A very well done.

I need to be better about taking progress photos. I've been the same weight since October and I am pretty sure I've recomped since I've been regularly weight training, running, and doing yoga during that time, but it's hard to see the difference. I feel good, though :-)
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    @stdyh4nd, congratulations on your accomplishments and thank you for your detailed sharing. I'm in a somewhat similar pursuit with comparable body fat goals except my weight is 20 lbs. higher and I've got you by age more years than I can count.

It seems like adding 8 lbs. of muscle in 4 months is a tall task. I know that I need to add about 4 lbs. of muscle in 3 months to meet my goal and I consider it to be a tall task.

Nonetheless, with hard work, all things are possible and raising the bar high and chasing goals is how results are achieved. I'll be privately cheering for you. Enjoy your youth.
  • jaroby
    jaroby Posts: 152 Member
    edited July 2019
    Trouble shooting question:

I’m 31 5ft6in 194lbs. Mama of 3 kids. Baby is 14m weaned him 6 to 8 wks ago.
    When I breastfeed I have to maintain min of 2400+ cal or the milk dries up FAST.
    My body put on fat *after* he was born. (I think I need a certain bf% to nurse the little humans.)
    I start with all this b/c it’s possible the hormones are still at play and from past experience my body is quite sensitive to them.

Onward with other info...
    I workout 30-40mins a day M-F with fitnessblender.com weights, cardio, etc. sometimes I skip a video & go run cuz I like it.
    My TDEE according to various calculators runs from 2400-3,000 depending on my estimated daily activity level.
    I’ve been reducing my calories down by 100 every 2wks and have been sitting at 1800 a day for the last month.

I weigh the same. No loss. 194. It’s what I weighed at 9m pregnant last year. :smiley: It’s been 75 days of tracking, 4wks of those at what I thought was a good deficit (1800). My clothes fit different tho so inches must be losing? I am ALL FOR NSV’s! But the thing is, I don’t want to recomp. Ha! I’m happy with my muscle! I can *see* it in my leaner spots under the extra 20-30lbs.

Must I drop to an even greater deficit?? MFP has my “lose 1lb a week” somewhere around 1700. I’m not sure if my activity level as a mom is active or lightly active so I’ve just pegged my cal at 1800 and here and there I plug in my exercise cal’s and eat them back.

I know the scale can get stuck sometimes and I know not to put a lot of stock into it but man alive, I’d like to drop to around 170/160 and see how I feel. I don’t have the mental stamina to recomp a whole freaking 20lbs. That’s why I slowly dropped to really close to “lose 1lb a week” cal goal and held it there for a month thinking I’d reassess and make a new plan if needed. I was hoping not to have to do a deeper deficit.

Am I completely off my rocker or do I need to drop even lower!? And then again, how *much* lower!?

-I’m going to start taking measurements every 2wks to track a different progress point.
    -I strive to eat 4.oz protein at every meal + veggies and fill in the rest with heavy hitter carbs & fat. I drink 100oz+ water a day.
    -I weigh everything with a food scale or measuring cups if it’s liquid.

Sorry this got so long, wanted to give as much info as possible to better help anyone willing to shoot some advice my way. :smile:

Thanks in advance!!
  • heybales
    Since you posted in a topic about Recomp - which is maintaining weight but transforming body by still losing fat - you are accomplishing that.

But since that is not your desire - I'd suggest starting your own topic.

I'll start out with a stressed out body undereating more than it desires can increase cortisol levels, which can help to slowly retain upwards of 20 lbs of water.

How many weeks could that mask fat loss on the scale, but your inches prove the fat is dropping.

Of course, a body under enough stress to react that way isn't good - so perhaps deficit is too great.

Or you are somehow wiping out a rather big deficit with inaccurate food and exercise calories logging.

When you start your topic - include if weighing foods (not measuring), and where the workout calorie burns come from.