Food Allergies and diet

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Libby283 wrote: »
    I assume you're not out 12-15 hours EVERY day. Could you make up a big salad that will last for the next few days? Try things like quinoa or couscous, different salad vegetables, beetroot, thinly sliced red cabbage, grated carrot, roasted peppers and antipasti items such as artichoke or grilled courgette in addition to the usual lettuce, cucumber, tomato & radish. You can then take a portion in a salad box and top it with cheese, chicken, crab or prawns/shrimp. I'm intolerant to multiple things and can't have mayo; I quite happily have my salads dry if I've got things like beetroot in it or I add a lemon/oil dressing.

Also consider making a big curry (chicken, beef or prawn), a bolognese, a big macaroni cheese (to which you can add chopped onion, mushroom, tomato, bacon or ham if you can and some herbs) and maybe do a big stirfry. I pad everything out with loads of vegetables. Bag or carton each up into portions for ready-made evening meals that can be frozen. I typically cook enough of each for 4-6 meals and all I need to do when I get home is cook some rice (although I do that in bulk and freeze it in small portions too) or pasta.

Pasta generally has egg. Curry has coconut...

I really dislike salads all the time. I can shovel the lettuce down if mixed with stuff like egg, bacon, chicken salad.. this has really put a huge damper on my eating.

I am very much a burger, fries, any potato type of person. I ate eggs every day until Monday.

Pasta does NOT generally have eggs. Other than egg noodles obviously. I suppose the fancy "substitute" pastas may have egg, but semolina pasta is typically not made with eggs.

The fancy "substitute" pastas don't have egg, either. At least none of the ones I use (gluten free.) I think egg noodles are the main ones with egg in them. Fresh pasta recipes sometimes use egg, but dry pasta you buy at the store generally does not have egg. :)

I checked because it seemed strange to me, as well. While egg is not listed as an ingredient, Barilla does have "may contain eggs" on the packaging. Same machine as the egg noodles?

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    I have a few new food allergies to work around. I also mostly eat out. Help! I am struggling to find food I can eat. I had a BLT sandwich with no mayo for dinner.

I can’t have egg, white potatoes, coconut, palm oil, turkey, lamb, pork, strawberries, fish or nuts. I dislike steak and get tired of chicken.
    I liked salad with toppings like egg, or chicken salad which are now a no go.

Anyone have suggestions of what I can eat?

I have a feeling with my new limited diet the weight is naturally going to come off me. I already miss potatoes...

I used to eat out almost everyday, until one day my throat closed up and I couldn't swallow anything (even my own saliva) and went to the ER. They thought my throat was just closed up and tried to do a procedure where they stretch it out. When they got in there, they saw that my throat was full of open, bloody sores, and was almost entirely made up of scar tissue.

After a few more Dr. appointments, and seeing an allergist, it was determined that I am allergic to wheat, peanuts, cow's milk, shrimp, scallops and sesame seeds. The Dr. recommended MFP as a way to log all my meals, in case I ever accidentally eat something I shouldn't have, they can go back and see what it was.

As someone that had no idea how to cook anything but frozen chicken nuggets and hot pockets, and ate a lot of pizza, tacos, ice cream and peanut butter cups, I thought I was going to starve to death!

But, learning to make foods at home, and trying new foods that I wouldn't have even looked at before, has opened up my world to new foods and better living. Also, I never realized how much more money I was spending, eating out so often! And, I have since lost 135 lbs by weighing and logging everything.

As someone that came from almost the exact same situation, trust me when I tell you... you can do this!!

That must have been terrifying! Inspiring post, hope it encourages OP.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    I assume you're not out 12-15 hours EVERY day. Could you make up a big salad that will last for the next few days? Try things like quinoa or couscous, different salad vegetables, beetroot, thinly sliced red cabbage, grated carrot, roasted peppers and antipasti items such as artichoke or grilled courgette in addition to the usual lettuce, cucumber, tomato & radish. You can then take a portion in a salad box and top it with cheese, chicken, crab or prawns/shrimp. I'm intolerant to multiple things and can't have mayo; I quite happily have my salads dry if I've got things like beetroot in it or I add a lemon/oil dressing.

Also consider making a big curry (chicken, beef or prawn), a bolognese, a big macaroni cheese (to which you can add chopped onion, mushroom, tomato, bacon or ham if you can and some herbs) and maybe do a big stirfry. I pad everything out with loads of vegetables. Bag or carton each up into portions for ready-made evening meals that can be frozen. I typically cook enough of each for 4-6 meals and all I need to do when I get home is cook some rice (although I do that in bulk and freeze it in small portions too) or pasta.

I really dislike salads all the time. I can shovel the lettuce down if mixed with stuff like egg, bacon, chicken salad.. this has really put a huge damper on my eating.

I am very much a burger, fries, any potato type of person. I ate eggs every day until Monday.

Pasta does NOT generally have eggs. Other than egg noodles obviously. I suppose the fancy "substitute" pastas may have egg, but semolina pasta is typically not made with eggs.

The fancy "substitute" pastas don't have egg, either. At least none of the ones I use (gluten free.) I think egg noodles are the main ones with egg in them. Fresh pasta recipes sometimes use egg, but dry pasta you buy at the store generally does not have egg. :)

I checked because it seemed strange to me, as well. While egg is not listed as an ingredient, Barilla does have "may contain eggs" on the packaging. Same machine as the egg noodles?

Good catch! That might explain it, and why OP ruled it out.
  • Libby283
    Libby283 Posts: 288 Member
    Spent 20 minutes in the grocery store today looking for anything baked goods/ sweet without eggs, nuts, palm oil or coconut.

Nothing... any suggestions?
    Many people in my family have allergies to trees and grasses, but there is a cross reaction that happens during certain seasons where things like squash, bananas, etc. cause tingly tongues, hives, itching, and for some of the family, constantly taking allergy medication is enough to keep these things under control, for the rest of the family, allergy shots are necessary. If you have not seen an allergist about this, please do. These reactions can become life threatening if you don't. The doctor can also give you advise on what you can/cannot eat, what to avoid and when, and what other items could be causing reactions that you don't even know about.

Saw the allergist on Monday. He said don’t eat potatoes, strawberries, eggs, nuts including almonds and peanuts, turkey and fish.

I ate lettuce with carrots and chickpeas for lunch. Sucks... now I want dessert and can’t find anything.

Make some cookies or whatever at home, with ingredients that you can trust. It isn't as hard as it seems.

Also, there are way more things than lettuce and carrots that you can eat. Maybe have a ham sandwich, with lettuce and tomatoes and some vegan mayo, with some apple chips instead of potato chips, and a banana for dessert.

Or, why not try some chicken tenderloins, smothered in BBQ sauce with some white rice?

Or a couple tacos?

Cheerios?

Pancakes?

Sloppy Joes?

Roasted turkey in gravy?

Allergic to turkey....

I can’t cook, but I did contact some local bakeries to see if we can get a standing order of something that is allergy proof that will fill the need for my sweet tooth. A banana is fruit and I do sometimes have one for breakfast but it is not a dessert. I want cake, cookies and those yummies.

I never realized how much stuff has eggs. Breakfast with eggs and potatoes have always been my favorite meal.

I go back to the allergist the first week in July. Hopefully he has some solutions to be able to bring these items back into my diet. At least eggs and potatoes. I can live without the rest.

I have tried allergy medicine in the past but it made me deathly ill. Maybe something new has been developed that we can try.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    When I was baking for vegans I had good success with Bobs Red Mill Egg Replacer https://smile.amazon.com/Bobs-Red-Mill-Egg-Replacer/dp/B01LX2AOMH
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    I see a few people have already commented that pasta doesn't normally contain egg - it's typically made of durum wheat semolina. Pasta gives you load of options.

Curry doesn't (always) contain coconut either. Certainly none I make contains it. Spices, garlic, ginger, onions, tomatoes and whatever else I want to throw in such as vegetables plus chicken, prawns or diced beef.

As you have a list of foods to avoid and then a long list of foods that you don't like, perhaps you should start by making a list of foods that you DO like and see what you can come up with. Sadly, until you get things more sorted with your reactions, I think you need to look at making foods at home instead of buying ready made. I can't eat bread (yeast intolerant) but I put all sorts of things in to my salads (see my earlier response) so they're rarely the same twice. The same is true for my stirfries.

Also, look at wider varieties of foods. You say you don't like pork chops, but how about gammon steaks, diced pork loin, roast pork joint or ribs?

If it's a while since you tried certain foods, perhaps you should try them again but cooked or prepared in a different way. You may be pleasantly surprised - and it would certainly be better than starving.

While I do associate coconut with Thai curries anyway, I have a yummy Indian curry recipe that I have successfully made with coconut milk, heavy cream, or half and half. The original recipe calls for half & half, which may not be authentic, but my Indian coworkers loved it.
  • Libby283
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    When I was baking for vegans I had good success with Bobs Red Mill Egg Replacer https://smile.amazon.com/Bobs-Red-Mill-Egg-Replacer/dp/B01LX2AOMH

This would be great but it has potatoe. I found out today that shredded cheese has potato.
  • Libby283
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    Spent 20 minutes in the grocery store today looking for anything baked goods/ sweet without eggs, nuts, palm oil or coconut.

Nothing... any suggestions?
    Many people in my family have allergies to trees and grasses, but there is a cross reaction that happens during certain seasons where things like squash, bananas, etc. cause tingly tongues, hives, itching, and for some of the family, constantly taking allergy medication is enough to keep these things under control, for the rest of the family, allergy shots are necessary. If you have not seen an allergist about this, please do. These reactions can become life threatening if you don't. The doctor can also give you advise on what you can/cannot eat, what to avoid and when, and what other items could be causing reactions that you don't even know about.

Saw the allergist on Monday. He said don’t eat potatoes, strawberries, eggs, nuts including almonds and peanuts, turkey and fish.

I ate lettuce with carrots and chickpeas for lunch. Sucks... now I want dessert and can’t find anything.

Make some cookies or whatever at home, with ingredients that you can trust. It isn't as hard as it seems.

Also, there are way more things than lettuce and carrots that you can eat. Maybe have a ham sandwich, with lettuce and tomatoes and some vegan mayo, with some apple chips instead of potato chips, and a banana for dessert.

Or, why not try some chicken tenderloins, smothered in BBQ sauce with some white rice?

Or a couple tacos?

Cheerios?

Pancakes?

Sloppy Joes?

Roasted turkey in gravy?

Allergic to turkey....

I can’t cook, but I did contact some local bakeries to see if we can get a standing order of something that is allergy proof that will fill the need for my sweet tooth. A banana is fruit and I do sometimes have one for breakfast but it is not a dessert. I want cake, cookies and those yummies.

I never realized how much stuff has eggs. Breakfast with eggs and potatoes have always been my favorite meal.

I go back to the allergist the first week in July. Hopefully he has some solutions to be able to bring these items back into my diet. At least eggs and potatoes. I can live without the rest.

I have tried allergy medicine in the past but it made me deathly ill. Maybe something new has been developed that we can try.

Yes you can. You need to get that thought out of your head. Everyone can cook and the more you do it the better you will become. Just buy a couple of cookbooks for beginners and go from there. The skill will really be mastering which foods you can substitute to make it allergy friendly for you but a dietician could help with that.

I have an entire closet of cookbooks. The younger me used to collect them with the hopes to create a desire and want to cook. I cook less now.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Ugh I think I might die of starvation... I know me and we are not good with food work.

It is interesting that you say pain. I have been aching for the last 3-4 years. Like 80 year old pain...

I can’t have peanuts either. I hate tofu.

Darn - tofu is easy, if you like it. And peanuts - also easy, but only if you can have it.

re: pain - I used to feel like I must be 90 years old, I had pain all over. Know lots of allergic folks who had the same. So...good side, hopefully the pain IS allergies and might go away after a few months. :-)

And also - I am so sorry you are struggling right now. I am NOT a good cook myself. I don't like cooking; I could literally think of anything in the world I would rather do than cook. And I have had to slowly, slowly learn how to cook at least a little bit, just to get food that didn't make me want to choke and die.

And it was not easy, and I still kind of suck as a cook, but every once in a while, I've managed to find a good recipe here and there that helps.

I would just say, as encouragement - you will likely find something you can have that you like, whether that is some random food that has no allergens, or a recipe that finally works. It takes a long while, and a lot of meals with (if it's like me) some crappy, crappy meals where you just wanna look at your food and wish you could numb your mouth just so you don't have to taste it again. But it will get better. Slower than you would like, in all honesty, but truly, it gets better. :-)

When it comes to looking for pre-made foods that are allergen free, I forgot to mention before - check out things online. A lot of foods that are allergen free are not available everywhere so they can be tricky to find anywhere BUt online. Amazon.com has a lot, oddly, and you can do some google searches and sometimes find some other possibilities. Typically cheaper to order in large amounts online, anyway. :-)

re: desserts - oh man, I sympathize. one thing that saved my life - I got an electric ice cream maker. Just take ripe fruit (soft fruit, or cook harder fruit until soft). Blend it up in a blender until really smooth, and then just dump in the ice cream maker and make your own sorbet. You can add seasonings and such to make it better (cooked apple, blended smooth, with things like cinnamon added, seriously tastes like apple pie sorbet. Both weird and awesome). This is very quick and easy, but it's sweet and nice and kind of saves your sanity, if you really like desserts (like I do. ^_^)
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    ...Just buy a couple of cookbooks for beginners and go from there. The skill will really be mastering which foods you can substitute to make it allergy friendly for you but a dietician could help with that.

Just to save you some time - yeah, the above won't work for the most part. Dieticians sometimes have a little knowledge about a few foods (like dairy, for lactose free diets, or gluten free for celiacs) but once you get 2 or more allergens, their ability to help you with recipes or substitutions goes down rapidly. Better to look at which people can't eat that food and check with that.

Like vegans don't use eggs, so they have some good substitutions for that (apple sauce, flaxseed...)

Cookbook for beginners - also sorta helpful, sort of not. Helpful if you know nothing about cooking and are trying to learn basics like, say, how to make pasta. Not helpful in that the majority will end up having ingredients you can't use, sometimes to the point that you literally have almost nothing left in the recipe that you CAN use...not helpful, you know?

But learning about ingredients from basics can really help.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,959 Member

Good catch! That might explain it, and why OP ruled it out.

I just checked and the Barilla pasta on my shelves all warns it was produced on machinery that also produces foods with egg, as does some Whole Foods 365 brand pasta. But I also have some Wegmans brand pasta, and it doesn't say that. So it's just a matter of checking different brands until you find one that doesn't have a cross-contamination risk.