Calories and fat in supplements

Do you include the calorie/fat count in supplements? Fish oil has 45 calories and 5 gm of fat per tsp. Other thing I take also have calories. I have an Autoimmune Disease so I take a lot of supplements. I’m going high on my fat macros because of it.

Replies

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    A calorie from a supplement is still a calorie. So you should add it.

Agreed with apullum that unless it is a medical issue you don't need to worry about going over on the macro if you are staying within your overall calorie goal
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    I do but I "umbrella" mine under one. I am not going to list the D with coconut oil in addition to the fish oil so I just increase the serving size of the fish oil to include the calories from the D.

• VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,710 Member
    Yes I do. It adds up plus it still counts
  • Justin_7272
    Justin_7272 Posts: 341 Member
    You should count them. In your diary settings you could break out a category ("Meal Names") as supplements; this is how I distinguish protein powder, vitamins, etc. from my normal meals/snacks/etc.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    If you want to be more accurate, I would count then especially if there are quite a few supplements you take. Add them in one day and see if the calorie total is worth counting to you.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    If you want to be more accurate, I would count then especially if there are quite a few supplements you take. Add them in one day and see if the calorie total is worth counting to you.

Actually if there is quite a few I would make a "daily supplement" recipe if you don't want to umbrella them.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    I take the same things at the same time each day (with food), so I tend to just include them as part of that meal and copy over from one day to the next. Most of them are few to no calories, but I still want to track them as part of my micros.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    I count my fish oil and blackstrap molasses.

I don't worry about going over on fat though - for losing weight, only a calorie deficit matters, not your macros.

If you don't like seeing yourself in the red for fat you can change the default macros here: https://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/my_goals/daily_nutrition_goals
  • panda4153
    panda4153 Posts: 417 Member
    I do no log them, however my reason for not doing so is that it’s less then 100 calories a day for mine and if I find I am not losing I am not going go stop taking my vitamins and supplements, I would adjust my diet elsewhere in order Ron start losing again.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Yup, I log them. I created a 'meal' from them and just add 1 in each day.
  • saraonly9913
    saraonly9913 Posts: 469 Member
    Never dawned on me to count the calories in fish oil! I'm taking 60 calories of fish oil a day! Thanks for this post.