Suggestions for face to face weight loss accountability

Options
Where would you go for face to face (non-virtual) accountability? I want something that is encouraging and welcomes both males and females. Finding a ladies weight loss group is pretty easy there are some big name companies that exist for that. I bet some of you have some good ideas. Please share if you do.
vrar3fsm009f.png

Replies

• Deanner03
    Deanner03 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I did weight watchers a few years ago, and there were men there.

If yours doesn't meet that need, create a space. Start a Biggest Loser challenge at work. Have people come up with weekly challenges. We did this at work. We had challenges for points (take a exercise class at least once a week for 6 weeks, get your BP/Cholesterol checked, some food-based, some fitness based) and points were awarded for the challenges. Highest point earner and biggest loser (by percentage) split the cash.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    What about Overeaters Anonymous, if it applies?
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,463 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I joined Weight Watchers, lost 30 lbs and kept going to meetings for years.

It is a women’s club sort of thing though. But after a while I didn’t notice that part. Only thing that mattered in the long run was it worked.

And this- the accountability worked. It was 2 things. One was the official weigh in. The other was just my presence at the meetings.

When my weight started creeping up to over my goal weight, I worked hard to straighten up. Everyone in that WW location knew who I was- the guy who had started and never quit. If I had just been on my own, I don’t think I would have made it through that part.
  • sherilfranklin335
    sherilfranklin335 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Check the gyms in your area. Many have someone who is certified in healthy eating and weight loss who will work one-on-one with clients helping you establish habits necessary to make change and continue your weight loss journey. Good luck!
  • Dubuque
    Dubuque Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    lbsansouci wrote: »
    What about Overeaters Anonymous, if it applies?

I did consider that, however, their website says that you will never have "wheigh-ins" at OA. Since that is the key think I want, I excluded them.
  • Dubuque
    Options
    88olds wrote: »
    I joined Weight Watchers, lost 30 lbs and kept going to meetings for years.
    I think this will be the route I end up going. It is an expensive route. I will never get to a BMI of 25, so I will never get their lifetime status where meetings are free. I really appreciate your reply and your experience.

• Dubuque
    Options
    Check the gyms in your area.

This was a great suggestion. The YMCA does have some classes where weigh-ins occur.

• 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    When you make WW goal weight and stay there for 6 weeks, you get Lifetime status. On Lifetime, so long as you aren’t more than 2 lbs over goal, you can attend the meetings for free.

That system saved me. Problem is most people make Lifetime, declare victory and go home.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    You might find some good groups near you on MeetUp.com Worth looking into I think.
  • Dubuque
    Options
    More ideas are always welcome B)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    Options
    There is also the group meetings of T.O.P.S. Take Off Pounds Sensibly...there are men's groups in some locations.