Increasing my daily calorie limit

I was wondering if anyone here has had luck with increasing their daily calorie limit?
I want to go from 1200 to 1400 calories a day but it feels so wrong..

I'm a 5'2 woman with around 30 pounds to lose and I have a low TDEE as I'm quite sedentary. All calculations point to 1200 calories a day giving me a 1 pound a week weight loss.

However, after multiple attempts at 1200 a day, I just can't do this realistically and still have enough energy to get through the work day. I've tried all sorts of food combinations. I definitely lose weight at this number, but the hunger, low energy and headaches it gives makes me give up after a few weeks.

Any other people in this position who found 1200 (or whatever your recommended amount is) unbearable after a while? I will lose weight now eating 1400 calories, but it will be at a slower rate, and I'm worried I will plateau after 10 pounds or so and have to reduce again to 1200 anyway..

Replies

• Justin_7272
    Justin_7272 Posts: 341 Member
    If you have 30 pounds to lose you will not plateau at 1400 calories any time soon.

The TDEE of a 5'2" 40 y/o sedentary female weighing 135 (top of BMI healthy range) is 1,483. So theoretically you wouldn't plateau until you are within a healthy BMI range.

Even at 50 y/o the TDEE is still above 1400, and if you're younger it will be even higher.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Slow is better than stopped, so do what you have to do :smile:

You might get some inspiration from this thread, when you are a small female, adding even 50 calories to your NEAT can really help!

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10610953/neat-improvement-strategies-to-improve-weight-loss/p1
  • etherealanwar
    etherealanwar Posts: 465 Member
    Setting your rate of loss to 0.5lbs/week will give you more calories and make this process more bearable so you can stick with it.