I cannot sleep, no matter what I do...

I’ve tried the morning gym routine before I work a 10 hour day, and I work construction so it’s intense physical labour and it’s also mentally labouring as well, but when it comes to bed time I cannot sleep, so I tried going after work to the gym and going until I can’t move and coming home but as soon as I lay down, I’m wide awake again, any suggestions? I’ve tried most of the over the counter sleep enhancing products with no results :(

Replies

• corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    I wish I knew. I would suggest a longer nighttime routine. 20 minutes of quiet, boring music and reading— a book or magazine, not electronic device just before bed. I really don’t know if it will help or not, but if it does, it will take a couple f weeks at least.
  • nickdavis888
    nickdavis888 Posts: 21 Member
    I’ve tried just about everything, I’m getting to the point I want to go to my doctor about prescription sleeping aids, but I don’t want to become dependant on something like that and have insomnia wreak havoc in my life constantly
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Have you tried chamomile tea?
  • nickdavis888
    nickdavis888 Posts: 21 Member
    I have actually tried a variety of teas actually, although now I have an addiction to trying different teas, it hasn’t aided in any results for me, I can always get to that point where my eyes are just about shut, but I struggle to reach that point of sleep! It’s getting very frustrating
  • chefmichellemoore
    chefmichellemoore Posts: 1 Member
    Do you drink energy drinks, or coffee? Sometimes this can make us stay awake. Even some regular pain medications like ibuprofen may have caffeine in it. However I can never sleep either but maybe you just are worrying and thinking to much about it??
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Go to your doctor. I've struggled with insomnia for years, and for me, the combination of melatonin, guided falling asleep meditation on the Stop, Breathe, Think app, and prescription sleep meds are the only thing that help. Ambien worked for a while, and when it stopped being effective, my doctor switched me to Belsomra, which has been working great. I wouldn't be overly worried about dependency on sleep meds. If used correctly and under medical supervision, they're a lifesaver.
  • giancarlov1191
    giancarlov1191 Posts: 493 Member
    SUPPOSEDLY magnesium can help, plus it aids with digestion.
  • BrookeMorte
    BrookeMorte Posts: 3 Member
    Have you tried a meditation app? That, plus melatonin and a white noise machine is what works for me
  • Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    If you're in a position to do so, go see a doctor and get a sleep study done.
  • dmanakho
    dmanakho Posts: 143 Member
    Try to take melatonin supplement before bed time. It can help
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    I’ve tried just about everything, I’m getting to the point I want to go to my doctor about prescription sleeping aids, but I don’t want to become dependant on something like that and have insomnia wreak havoc in my life constantly
    Then I'm not sure what other meaningful advice anyone here can try and give you other than go and see a doctor.
  • Freedom1862
    Freedom1862 Posts: 20 Member
    Are you eating tons of protein at every meal? I was and i didnt sleep for about a year. Doctors found nothing wrong in their tests.

I truly hope this gets better for you and I wish you well.
  • JeBeBu
    JeBeBu Posts: 258 Member
    I find a cold gel eye mask makes my brain "hush" and I fall asleep faster
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited June 2019
    Are you eating tons of protein at every meal? I was and i didnt sleep for about a year. Doctors found nothing wrong in their tests.

You would literally be dead if this was true.
    Correlation does not imply causation.
    I have never heard of anything about protein negatively affecting sleep quality/quantity and I hang around with powerlifters, bodybuilders, MMA fighters, and guys who run sleep labs.

You start to hallucinate in under 2 weeks.
    Systems start to shut down in about 10 or 12 days.
    Speech begins to slur in about 72 hours and conversations become difficult.
    The longest documented case of total lack of sleep in a person was around 6 months, then death.

Studies on this are incomplete because it requires volunteers and could be unethical.

Most people end up having "microsleep events" after only 2 days.
    They fall asleep for up to 30 seconds and may not even know they were sleeping.

Someone was telling me and a buddy who runs a sleep clinic how she *never* sleeps.
    We both looked at each other and may have said something like "That is hard to believe", IIRC.
    About 15 minutes later I started to say something to her and she was sleeping - with her eyes open.
  • Freedom1862
    Freedom1862 Posts: 20 Member
    cqbkaju wrote: »

You would literally be dead if this was true.
    Correlation does not imply causation.
    I have never heard of anything about protein negatively affecting sleep quality/quantity and I hang around with powerlifters, bodybuilders, MMA fighters, and guys who run sleep labs.

You start to hallucinate in under 2 weeks.
    Systems start to shut down in about 10 or 12 days.
    Speech begins to slur in about 72 hours and conversations become difficult.
    The longest documented case of total lack of sleep in a person was around 6 months, then death.

Studies on this are incomplete because it requires volunteers and could be unethical.

Most people end up having "microsleep events" after only 2 days.
    They fall asleep for up to 30 seconds and may not even know they were sleeping.

Someone was telling me and a buddy who runs a sleep clinic how she *never* sleeps.
    We both looked at each other and may have said something like "That is hard to believe", IIRC.
    About 15 minutes later I started to say something to her and she was sleeping - with her eyes open.

I couldnt find any reports on it either. I had zero answers, as did the multitude of doctors i went to. I am only speaking from my experience. I hardly chime in on these boards and this is why. Thanks for the woo.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,970 Member
    Have you tried reading before bed or shutting your brain down in another way, like meditation.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited June 2019
    cqbkaju wrote: »

5. Zero caffeine or stimulants after noon, or maybe even none at all.

I liked a lot of the tips from this poster, but this was the one that immediately came to my mind. I discovered by accident that if I indulge in any caffeinated drinks after 1 or 2, it will interfere with my sleep. And being a hard-working, thirsty construction worker, I bet some caffeinated drinks are involved in the OP's day. ;)
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    I couldnt find any reports on it either. I had zero answers, as did the multitude of doctors i went to. I am only speaking from my experience. I hardly chime in on these boards and this is why. Thanks for the woo.

FWIW, the "woo" wasn't from me.