Help me 😖

Hi all, ok so im following this to a t, 1200 calories a day limit, my bmr is 1542 a day, roughly 500 calories burned running round all day as a barber. Still not lost a lb 😭 im on a hormone pill x2 a day and have low oestrogen levels, anyone no whats goin on? Regards mand x

Replies

• Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Definitely we would need more information. Answer Panini911's questions and we can help you better.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Hi all, ok so im following this to a t, 1200 calories a day limit, my bmr is 1542 a day, roughly 500 calories burned running round all day as a barber. Still not lost a lb 😭 im on a hormone pill x2 a day and have low oestrogen levels, anyone no whats goin on? Regards mand x

If your BMR is 1542, you should not be eating less than that. If you mean your TDEE, you might be okay (but that's kinda low).

Time, patience, accuracy are all required. Answers to the questions asked by the previous posters will help people give you better advice!
  • SueSueDio
    How long have you been on this diet? Longer or shorter than a month.
    If shorter, than give it a month.
    If longer, try switching carbs to protein

Completely unnecessary unless OP has a medical condition that necessitates cutting carbs.
  • Zhatan
    Zhatan Posts: 45 Member
    edited June 2019

Completely unnecessary unless OP has a medical condition that necessitates cutting carbs.

Not completely as high protein intake has been known to help with regulation of body weight and muscle mass retention.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Zhatan wrote: »

Not completely as high protein intake has been known to help with regulation of body weight and muscle mass retention.

Calorie intake (regardless of the macro split) and output regulates body weight.
    Using muscles against resistance helps with muscle mass retention.
  • Zhatan

Fat loss still all comes down to calories at the end of the day, regardless of which macros those calories come from. Eating high protein and low carb might help curb appetite for some people (and assist in muscle retention), but it'll do diddly squat for fat loss unless the person is also in a calorie deficit.
    Danp wrote: »

Calorie intake (regardless of the macro split) and output regulates body weight.

Of course but assuming the same amount of calories it has been show in studies that high protein is more beneficial.
    A intake of 2x-3x of body weight will allow for a greater muscle mass retention but it should be coupled with resistance training as you say.
  • hugacat55744
    hugacat55744 Posts: 5 Member
    started counting calories and doing portion size and doctor said to look at keto ---very confused---joined a couple facebook groups and found the keto calculator and food list ---even found info for on a budget---but there really does not seem to be any guidelines except what you cant eat ---which is hard not to follow when you been doing it for so long and I live with my sons who buy the food--yes I can ask for things ---just need a helping hand
  • Zhatan
    Fat loss still all comes down to calories at the end of the day, regardless of which macros those calories come from. Eating high protein and low carb might help curb appetite for some people (and assist in muscle retention), but it'll do diddly squat for fat loss unless the person is also in a calorie deficit.
    Danp wrote: »

Of course but assuming the same amount of calories it has been show in studies that high protein is more beneficial.
    A intake of 2x-3x of body weight will allow for a greater muscle mass retention but it should be coupled with resistance training as you say.

Protein may be more beneficial in some ways (given the same amount of calories), I'm not arguing against that. Protein is good!

My argument is with @Commander_Keen apparently claiming (everywhere he goes on these boards) that low carb is somehow magic for weight loss. If the OP simply switches out carbs for protein but keeps her calories the same, it won't change her fat loss results if she's still eating too much for her needs.

Ok well I did not think he meant to switch out all carbs. To shift some carbs to protein so that he reaches the x2 body weight mark is not a bad idea tho.
    If OP is eating 1200 kcal as stated then calorie intake can't really be to high.
  • SueSueDio
    Protein may be more beneficial in some ways (given the same amount of calories), I'm not arguing against that. Protein is good!

My argument is with @Commander_Keen apparently claiming (everywhere he goes on these boards) that low carb is somehow magic for weight loss. If the OP simply switches out carbs for protein but keeps her calories the same, it won't change her fat loss results if she's still eating too much for her needs.

Ok well I did not think he meant to switch out all carbs. To shift some carbs to protein so that he reaches the x2 body weight mark is not a bad idea tho.
    If OP is eating 1200 kcal as stated then calorie intake can't really be to high.

If she hasn't lost weight then she's most likely eating more than that, but since she hasn't returned to answer any further questions it's a bit hard to say!