Food Allergies and diet

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited June 2019
    Yeah, instacart is grocery delivery, and you can usually choose one of a number of grocery stores, although Libby said she's out in the country so may have fewer options. WFs here delivers too (maybe free with prime?). I've never done either, but it seems like a nice option.
  • slbbw
    slbbw Posts: 329 Member
    Is soy ok? Try veggie burgers or tofu. I like Seitan as well. Smashed avocado makes a lovely mayo substitute for things like chicken salad. Add soem salt and lemon/lime juice. Not all vegan options will be availble to you, but you might look for nut free vegan recipes as a starting point. You don't mention beef at all except you don't like steak. is hamburger an option, that should open up a host of things.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Yeah, instacart is grocery delivery, and you can usually choose one of a number of grocery stores, although Libby said she's out in the country so may have fewer options. WFs here delivers too (maybe free with prime?). I've never done either, but it seems like a nice option.

Whole Food delivery may be available with Prime - depends on how far away the store is - I can get delivery but my Mom cannot. There is a $5 delivery fee when you order at least $35. It is another $5 if you do not meet that threshold. The first few times I ordered the delivery fee was waved, but even with it, it is worth it for me to save me the time of going to the store, which is about 20 minutes away when the traffic is good. Plus I do a lot of impulse buying at WF so the delivery fee pays for itself.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    edited June 2019
    Libby283 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    mph323 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, if you never set foot in a grocery store, and don't cook at all, what do you feed your kids?

eta This is getting weirder by the minute...

As I said earlier, we eat out a lot. Mostly local restaurants. Sometimes pizza delivered to pool. Sometimes Chick-fil-a. We don’t eat at any other fast food places.

My fiancé stops into store to get basics like milk, coffee, tea, drinks, snacks. He cooks sometimes. Like throwing chicken on the smoker.

I get that you don't want to cook.

But think of it this way, if nothing else: You're going to save a ton of money if you actually bother to cook and shop -- even if you did something like Instacart.

I can't even fathom spending my entire life eating out, and feeding a family exclusively by eating out, but you clearly have more money to spend than I do.

Instacart is a grocery delivery service, yes?

@Libby283 there are also meal delivery services like Blue Apron / Hello Fresh. These have perfect portions and all the ingredients you need.

However, you said on page one that you are away 12-15 hours a day - is this 5 days a week? In this case, I can see why cooking a dinner each night is not an option, and why your family eats out/gets takeout all the time.

Then again, your quality of life is important - I used to have a two hour commute and a long day. That experience was so horrible that I prioritized short/no commute over better paying jobs. Currently, if I were willing to commute into Boston or Providence I would make more money than I am now, but I value my no-commute and overall quality of life more.

Yes every day we are out 12-15 hours. We are home to sleep. I take the dog with me to work. I am also on call 24/7. Between work, running kids and all we are not home much. My commute is not far, but my days are long. I literally answer phones 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for work.

Weekends are when I run around doing errands or running children to their fathers. My daughter is traveling next week on a school trip and I still need to get her a suitcase and clothing that is appropriate for where she is going.

I have a feeling I am going to get skinny, or learn to survive on chipotle and Chinese. So far both have been fine with my allergies.

Those time commitments to your place of work sound dreadful to me.

Your employer needs an energy balance consultant. https://theenergyproject.com/why-you-hate-work-2/
  • Libby283
    Libby283 Posts: 288 Member
    edited June 2019
    Out of curiosity, if you never set foot in a grocery store, and don't cook at all, what do you feed your kids?

As I said earlier, we eat out a lot. Mostly local restaurants. Sometimes pizza delivered to pool. Sometimes Chick-fil-a. We don’t eat at any other fast food places.

My fiancé stops into store to get basics like milk, coffee, tea, drinks, snacks. He cooks sometimes. Like throwing chicken on the smoker.

But think of it this way, if nothing else: You're going to save a ton of money if you actually bother to cook and shop -- even if you did something like Instacart.

I can't even fathom spending my entire life eating out, and feeding a family exclusively by eating out, but you clearly have more money to spend than I do.

@Libby283 there are also meal delivery services like Blue Apron / Hello Fresh. These have perfect portions and all the ingredients you need.

However, you said on page one that you are away 12-15 hours a day - is this 5 days a week? In this case, I can see why cooking a dinner each night is not an option, and why your family eats out/gets takeout all the time.

Then again, your quality of life is important - I used to have a two hour commute and a long day. That experience was so horrible that I prioritized short/no commute over better paying jobs. Currently, if I were willing to commute into Boston or Providence I would make more money than I am now, but I value my no-commute and overall quality of life more.

Yes every day we are out 12-15 hours. We are home to sleep. I take the dog with me to work. I am also on call 24/7. Between work, running kids and all we are not home much. My commute is not far, but my days are long. I literally answer phones 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for work.

Weekends are when I run around doing errands or running children to their fathers. My daughter is traveling next week on a school trip and I still need to get her a suitcase and clothing that is appropriate for where she is going.

I have a feeling I am going to get skinny, or learn to survive on chipotle and Chinese. So far both have been fine with my allergies.

Are your food delivery places really that fast? I know for me, living in a pretty decently sized area, it takes less time to get delivery to my house than it does for me to cook.

Also, unless you sleep 12 hours a day, you're home and awake for more than 0 hours.

It's fine to not *want* to cook -- maybe not the best idea, but whatever, go ahead and whine -- but most people do have lengthy commutes and time commitments. They make food procurement a priority because they have to. We don't all have the freedom or money to decide that nope, we're not going to cook. And that's *especially* true when you have food allergies. I'm really surprised that you're able to safely eat out as much as you do with those -- cross contamination is a nightmare, and very few restaurants are allergy safe.

I'm especially surprised Chinese is fine with your allergies, considering how those places are cross contamination nightmares. Do they always get fresh pans for you, and prep and cook your food separately?

Case in point: I have celiac. So not all that different from a food allergy. I also leave my house at 8, and routinely get home close to 9. I still figure out meals. Because there are a handful of restaurants where I can *safely* eat. So I *have* to make it a priority. Because I am neither made of cash, nor do I like being in physical pain. I may not like it, but I'm a responsible grownup and don't have a choice.

No idea, but I consider it a good day when I don’t have a swollen tingly tongue and/or hives. So far neither place has given me a reaction and I had no egg in my fried rice...

I get delivery when at pool and it takes about an hour. We are far out. They are the only place that delivers. We have another 4 local restaurants in our small town, that I call in orders and swing in to pick things up. At work I send an assistant out every day to pick up food.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

Whole Food delivery may be available with Prime - depends on how far away the store is - I can get delivery but my Mom cannot. There is a $5 delivery fee when you order at least $35. It is another $5 if you do not meet that threshold. The first few times I ordered the delivery fee was waved, but even with it, it is worth it for me to save me the time of going to the store, which is about 20 minutes away when the traffic is good. Plus I do a lot of impulse buying at WF so the delivery fee pays for itself.

Prime Now has free 2-hour delivery, but it looks like it's not in all areas. (It is in mine.) My friend does it and says the savings easily outweighs the tip, but I actually enjoy grocery shopping.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member

You ain’t getting “skinny” on Chipotle and Chinese
  • KeithWhiteJr
    KeithWhiteJr Posts: 233 Member
    amyepdx wrote: »

Why not? As long as you don't go over your calories, why couldn't you get "skinny" with Chinese and Mexican food?

Also, why are we saying "skinny" with the quotations? lol
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    amyepdx wrote: »

Why not? As long as you don't go over your calories, why couldn't you get "skinny" with Chinese and Mexican food?

Also, why are we saying "skinny" with the quotations? lol

Because her goal of skinny is the least of her issues and I didn’t see her counting and logging those fast food meals.

My facetious-ness didn’t translate obviously - sorry.