Should I up my calories?

OAS5
OAS5 Posts: 374 Member
I have lost 70 pounds since last July, so almost a year. 12 more to go. By my fitness pal I can go up to 1,970 calories. Honestly I have been at 1,500-1,600 a day since I started. Since I'm so close should I up my calories to very near to that number my fitness pal set? I mean going to that number will not cause me to gain weight right? I'll just lose a bit slower right? Thanks for any help.

Replies

• Dreamwa1ker
    Dreamwa1ker Posts: 196 Member
    edited June 2019
    You might start checking some of the threads at the top of the Maintaining Weight section of the forum since you are getting closer to transitioning to maintenance. Those might help you figure out smoothest way to transition. E.g. for transitioning to maintenance one of the methods is to gradually increase your calories and monitor what happens. You could do similar just to slow your weight loss:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/931670/bmr-and-tdee-explained-for-those-needing-a-guide/p1

• OAS5
    Thanks guys, I guess I should post in the maintaining section, that is a good idea.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    what rate of loss are you at now (are you using MFP calculations for calories?)
  • OAS5
    Panini911 wrote: »
    what rate of loss are you at now (are you using MFP calculations for calories?)

Its hard to tell because I'm losing in weird way now that I learned is called "whoosh". I kinda go down 3 or 4 pounds, stay there for 5-7 weeks and then go down again 3 or 4 pounds. Apparently that is the whoosh effect when you get close to your goal weight. MFP? As in my fitness pal? Yes I use the MFP app every single day.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,926 Member
    What panini meant is what rate of loss have you set MFP at, ie of the available options 1/2 lb, 1lb, 1.5 lb, 2lb?

Whatever rate it is, you will still get non linear loss, ie you won't lose at exactly that amount exactly every week, you could still stall for a few weeks and then whoosh, some people do that.
  • OAS5
    What panini meant is what rate of loss have you set MFP at, ie of the available options 1/2 lb, 1lb, 1.5 lb, 2lb?

Whatever rate it is, you will still get non linear loss, ie you won't lose at exactly that amount exactly every week, you could still stall for a few weeks and then whoosh, some people do that.

Oh yeah got it, I set it at 2 pounds per week. I am definitely in the pattern of hold for some weeks and then whoosh. I keep going through such a such thing. I will hit an unbelievable number, like the last was 202.6 and Lord was I ecstatic. Then over the next 3-5 days I go back and forth. I went to 203.3 to 203.8 to 204.6 to 205.2 to 205.0 and this morning 204.4. that's all kinds normal?
  • OAS5

Oh yeah got it, I set it at 2 pounds per week. I am definitely in the pattern of hold for some weeks and then whoosh. I keep going through such a such thing. I will hit an unbelievable number, like the last was 202.6 and Lord was I ecstatic. Then over the next 3-5 days I go back and forth. I went to 203.3 to 203.8 to 204.6 to 205.2 to 205.0 and this morning 204.4. that's all kinds normal?

ok so 2lb/week is VERY aggressive and meant for those who are quite obese with lots ot lose. with 12lb to go you should be at 0.5lb/week (definately a max of 1lb/week but 0.5 is recommended).

at 0.5lb/week a weight trending app is your friend because water fluctuations will mask that dya to day.

cfpqwo9vvrsi.png

Yeah your right. It's what I set it at when I needed to lose 82 pounds. I just never changed it. I'm gonna do that now, I'll put it at .5 pounds per week. Good idea, thanks.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    the change should give you more calories to eat per day addressing your initial question :)
  • OAS5
    the change should give you more calories to eat per day addressing your initial question :)

Yes, I just never touched that from the beginning. Oversight I guess. Upped it to .5 pounds per week and my calories went from 1,970 to 2,500 and change. I don't think I'll be able to hit that but I have a lot of leeway now though. I'll strive for 2,000 a day. That she reasonable or somewhat easy.