The Sober Squad- Alcohol Free Living

Replies

• RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,158 Member
    https://thesoberschool.com/33-easy-steps-to-stop-drinking-alcohol/

Good morning friends ! Great comments Lorraine. I enjoyed reading all the posts this Morning. This blog entry reminded me of me!
  • no44s4me
    no44s4me Posts: 73 Member
    AND like @RubyRed427 said we can get "lazy" or just gradually forget how important it is to work at this new way of living. If we get complacent then we will have trouble sticking to our resolve to be AF.

I couldn't agree more. I tried "wandering" into sobriety and it just didn't work. I'm not white-knuckling it either, just making a deliberate decison and plan to be AF. Kind of like losing weight. It never worked long term until I made losing weight and then controlling weight a priority in my life.

This time I've put alcohol in the same place as cigarettes....not even one. I'm hoping that I'll get to the same place where I don't even think about it anymore. Not there yet by any means, but that's the hope.

Ruby....if you listen to more RE podcasts, he'll mention his own story now and then. The worst thing a problem drinker can say? "I got this"!

Hope everyone enjoys the rest of their weekend!

• RubyRed427
    @no44s4me That’s a perfect expression about what i have been doing “wandering”. I have always done well when I have a plan, write down goals, journal and research. I’m a learner at heart. I love it.
    Best wishes to you. I will continue to listen to RE podcasts. I like them; I feel like their my friends because the guests and host knows exactly how I feel.
    @JenT304 You said it best. I echo your sentiments about Father’s Day. Xo
  • RubyRed427
    I have enjoyed reading this thread and you all have been so encouraging to me, thank you!!

I like your username Tenacity! Great words for all of us to remember. Happy you commented.
  • RubyRed427
    edited June 2019
    jenkofb wrote: »
    Just wanted to say great job to those of you staying sober and keep up the good work! I'll have 11 years in July thanks to the AA program and fellowship. Best thing I ever did, although the first few years were a bit like trying to climb Mt Everest, lol.

Mt. Everest is right! Congrats on 11 years! :)
    @whitpauly self care is a great term! I believe in it. I think especially for parents of young children, it’s too easy to try to self medicate like I did with wine. Now, I’m in a different phase of life and I really have no excuse ... self care should be especially preserved when overcoming an addiction.
    It’s why it’s ok to leave parties early or decline invitations to booze filled events.

Last night, I was tempted when I drove by my fav bar in my old neighborhood; I knew my friends were all there laughing and talking. But I drove right by, went to my quiet apartment, and poured a seltzer. I made a deliberate choice not to get bombed. But it was kind of a lonely feeling, but I have no regrets. I think the more we exercise our willpower muscle the better.
  • lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    Great Comments and insights. Nice to see all the new groupies & to read people's stories.

Hugs <3
  • lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    @donimfp <3 One of my fave sayings when I feel like I'm falling apart is another Melodie Beattie blurb, "Sometimes we have to fall apart to get put back together." And a dear elderly friend of mine shared something with me that her Chiropractor told her years ago, when we are dealing with a really stressful situation: Our body will get us through it, but once the situation is over is when our body tells the tale and we need to take care of IT. So PLEASE do some "self care" (self care is not selfish, it's self-full). Allow yourself the time you need to heal....@RubyRed427 said it best... <3 Hugs
  • donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    OMG @lorrainequiche59, thank you for the insight. Today my neck had a “crick” like I slept on it wrong and can’t turn my head. I told my husband my body is betraying me! But thanks so much for that info. I’ll try to relax into it. It feels like booze would help so much but I know it wouldn’t. Xoxoxoxo
  • RubyRed427
    donimfp wrote: »
    OMG @lorrainequiche59, thank you for the insight. Today my neck had a “crick” like I slept on it wrong and can’t turn my head. I told my husband my body is betraying me! But thanks so much for that info. I’ll try to relax into it. It feels like booze would help so much but I know it wouldn’t. Xoxoxoxo

A deep tissue massage and spa day would help better than booze😀. It’s takes me about two weeks to settle into summer mode after the school year is over. It may take you three because of the ultra stressful year.❤️
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Morning friends,sounds like everyone is doing well <3 have a fabulous AF day!