Food Allergies and diet

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    Reminds me that some guy built a weight loss plan around Chipotle: https://www.menshealth.com/nutrition/a19735225/chipotle-diet-weight-loss/

I'm not recommending, seems a ridiculous idea to me, but I actually find their bowls pretty easy to build a pretty low cal and satiating meal out of. However, you'd get sick to death of it pretty darn quickly, I'd imagine (even if no tainted romaine).

Learning to cook without it feeling like a big production seems to be clearly the answer.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    I think I'm weird, because I have never had that issue with Chipotle. I've always preferred a bowl, since the burritos and such are a pain to eat and too many cals for something that IMO does not add to the taste (as noted in the past I'm weird since bread type products are rarely on my radar as something desirable but for naan). I save cals by having rice and beans only if no meat, otherwise just beans (normally, and black) or just rice (very rarely), and I never add guac or cheese or sour cream unless I need extra cals (and that's a great excuse to get guac). I don't really think of them as a chip place, so never think of getting chips if I go there (my office has occasionally done a Chipotle lunch and then I admit the chips are a temptation!).

Even before I checked cals my preferred Chipotle was fajita bowl with fajita, rice, beans, chicken, hot, and tomatoes, plus romaine, and now the difference is mainly not normally having rice (or not having chicken if going for vegetarian), and in both cases the final product feels like what I want. I don't think I've ever had an actual burrito from Chipotle.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Drink as in....water?
  • lizziebtothec
    lizziebtothec Posts: 402 Member
    i make my chicken salad with avocado, greek yogurt, and onions. it is delicious!!
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Libby283 wrote: »
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Hey OP! I had a thought.

How would you handle it if your kid(s) had these allergies? Would you be able to make the adjustments? Sometimes it’s easier to do for others and not ourselves. Your kids could have some of the same allergies you have, why not use the opportunity to adjust everyone’s diet?

Good luck. You got this.

It is easier to do for the kids. I talked to one of my doctors last night. She has some of the same issues. She suggested to not drink for a month and heal my kidneys and liver. It might allow me to eat the things I like occasionally. The whole situation sucks.

The options are eat and drink what I want, be happy and deal with the reactions...

Or

Eat and drink nothing enjoyable, be a super witch with a b, starve but not have any allergies. I might not have any coworkers in a few weeks...

Not drinking alcohol does not resolve food allergies. I didn’t drink a drop for 7yr...still have the same food allergies though

So she is a liar!

Except that stress can induce or worsen allergies. Stress can also be physical and with all that alcohol and takeaway food on top of those ridiculous work hours, I would guess that your body could be stressed and not thanking you.
  • Libby283
    Libby283 Posts: 288 Member
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    Hey OP! I had a thought.

How would you handle it if your kid(s) had these allergies? Would you be able to make the adjustments? Sometimes it’s easier to do for others and not ourselves. Your kids could have some of the same allergies you have, why not use the opportunity to adjust everyone’s diet?

Good luck. You got this.

It is easier to do for the kids. I talked to one of my doctors last night. She has some of the same issues. She suggested to not drink for a month and heal my kidneys and liver. It might allow me to eat the things I like occasionally. The whole situation sucks.

The options are eat and drink what I want, be happy and deal with the reactions...

Or

Eat and drink nothing enjoyable, be a super witch with a b, starve but not have any allergies. I might not have any coworkers in a few weeks...

Not drinking alcohol does not resolve food allergies. I didn’t drink a drop for 7yr...still have the same food allergies though

So she is a liar!

Except that stress can induce or worsen allergies. Stress can also be physical and with all that alcohol and takeaway food on top of those ridiculous work hours, I would guess that your body could be stressed and not thanking you.

I am a single mom of two.... stress is not something I can even begin to avoid.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,847 Member

Hey OP! I had a thought.

Good luck. You got this.

Or

I believe someone made a long post about the "bucket" theory earlier in the thread. Not drinking alcohol can decrease what's in the the bucket.

I'm only allergic to cats if I have too much sugar and alcohol. My brother, on the other hand, is always allergic to cats. My mom was more allergic when she was younger. Allergies can be strange.
  • Libby283
    Libby283 Posts: 288 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I raised two children on my own. My priorities were my health, my children, and everything else. Clean but not tidy. Organized but with scheduled “down time”. Your described lifestyle is very stressful and if you have liver, kidney, and allergy problems, your body has said “enough”. Ignore its signals at your peril.

Changing how you live and eat is not all deprivation. Frankly I don’t know how you get enough protein if all you tolerate as far as I can tell, is bacon, chicken, and hamburger. And you are sick of chicken. Eating a more balanced diet has got to help you start feeling better.
    I raised two children on my own. My priorities were my health, my children, and everything else. Clean but not tidy. Organized but with scheduled “down time”. Your described lifestyle is very stressful and if you have liver, kidney, and allergy problems, your body has said “enough”. Ignore its signals at your peril.

Changing how you live and eat is not all deprivation. Frankly I don’t know how you get enough protein if all you tolerate as far as I can tell, is bacon, chicken, and hamburger. And you are sick of chicken. Eating a more balanced diet has got to help you start feeling better.

Well when you are allergic to everything it is hard to eat a balanced diet. I am so over salads. I stopped eating dressing years ago because of reactions, which wasn’t terrible with added flavor like egg, chicken salad, tuna salad...chick fil a salads.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited June 2019

Well when you are allergic to everything it is hard to eat a balanced diet. I am so over salads. I stopped eating dressing years ago because of reactions, which wasn’t terrible with added flavor like egg, chicken salad, tuna salad...chick fil a salads.

I am not a huge fan of salads either. but tried this recently and it's terrific:
    mixed lettuce (not a fan of iceburg)
    veggies i enjoy (for me lots of cherry tomatoes and cucumber, peppers are nice addition)
    HERBS! whatever is handy
    balsamic vinegar (you can add olive oil if you want, i like it with just balsamic vinegar)
    Add any protein you can eat/want to eat you can even go red meat in prepared food isle/deli

seeds can be used for taste and crunch. or maybe try coconut "chips".
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Hey OP! I had a thought.

Good luck. You got this.

Or

So she is a liar!

I’m definitely not buying that quitting alcohol can cure an allergy to something else. If that were true I’d be having wheat toast for breakfast. I can’t have wheat though - and because of my allergy many alcohols are forever a trigger for me already since they contain wheat. Not drinking didn’t change anything relating to my food. If anything I believe people who see a change in allergies when they alter something unrelated likely have an intolerance that improves with better overall health and reduced stress - but an intolerance and a medical allergy are not the same.
  • JeBeBu
    JeBeBu Posts: 258 Member
    I have sympathy/empathy for your situation. I am unable to process any mammal products: meats, milks, cheeses, etc. I also do not tolerate fried foods (regardless of oil used). I had mentioned in an earlier post the idea of a vegan food delivery service to allow for a more diverse and balanced option. I, personally, like Daily Harvest, but there are various delivery services available. Often these meals serve as inspiration for me trying similar recipes at home! I know how overwhelming it can feel to begin the process, but not starting -and risking your long-term health- can not be an option! Especially as a parent!