I cried at the park today

Replies

• appledawn0422
    appledawn0422 Posts: 31 Member
    You will be amazed at how quickly your body will get stronger. I0 months ago, 10 minutes on the elliptical felt like an eternity, and I was out of breath almost immediately. Now, it takes about 20 minutes to even get my heart rate up on the elliptical. 40 minutes is actually fun for me now. Keep pushing, and keep posting and reading these threads. They were my lifeline those first couple of months. Stick with it. This DOES work.

I'm gonna keep working hard because this post makes me excited. I truly hope I can accomplish all that you have! Congratulations and thank so much for your kindness!
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 694 Member
    jdog022 wrote: »
    My daughter was 3 when my dr said my health habits would almost certainly lead to her growing up without a father, like I did.

I put a picture of her next to my bed. Every morning I woke up , saw that, and used that as my motivation to exercise and track my food every single day. You know how many planned exercise days I have missed in 3 years? None. How many days I missed tracking my food? None

I met my original goals a long time ago but she is still my number one motivator.

That's awesome!! I sincerely hope I can be as motivated and determined as you!! Congratulations on your success!! It's very inspiring to hear!

If watching your kids grow up and then being able to eventually chase after those grandkids isn’t motivating enough then I don’t know what else could do it .

You can absolutely do this. Just remind yourself every day why this is so important . You’ll have bad days, days where you don’t want to do it. Do it anyway. Take it slow at first. Make sure it’s sustainable
  • appledawn0422
    My daughter was 3 when my dr said my health habits would almost certainly lead to her growing up without a father, like I did.

I put a picture of her next to my bed. Every morning I woke up , saw that, and used that as my motivation to exercise and track my food every single day. You know how many planned exercise days I have missed in 3 years? None. How many days I missed tracking my food? None

I met my original goals a long time ago but she is still my number one motivator.

That's awesome!! I sincerely hope I can be as motivated and determined as you!! Congratulations on your success!! It's very inspiring to hear!

If watching your kids grow up and then being able to eventually chase after those grandkids isn’t motivating enough then I don’t know what else could do it .

You can absolutely do this. Just remind yourself every day why this is so important . You’ll have bad days, days where you don’t want to do it. Do it anyway. Take it slow at first. Make sure it’s sustainable

That's what my goal is. I guess I just didn't realize how far away I was until that walk. I know that every journey begins with a single step so im not giving up. I'm gonna push! I never want to look back from this point!
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    So your goal was to walk a mile. Good goal. Timing was a little off. Do it July 17. Then celebrate and treat yourself. Maybe a new pair of walking shoes?
  • appledawn0422
    So your goal was to walk a mile. Good goal. Timing was a little off. Do it July 17. Then celebrate and treat yourself. Maybe a new pair of walking shoes?

That's actually a great idea! To give myself a month to do it more comfortably! Thank you!
  • appledawn0422
    If one of your children tried to walk a mile and only made it halfway, would you use the same words you told yourself? Of course not! You would be proud of how far he got and encourage him
    to try again in the future! You deserve the same encouragement from yourself. Use kind words with yourself. You can do this one step at a time. There will be bumps in the road and unexpected challenges, but you can do it!

That's a complete truth. I would encourage anyone else! I need to change the voice in my head! Thank you so much!
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    free advice: change to healthy behaviors and the extra pounds will fall off. you have these levers under your control...calories control weight, exercise controls strength and endurance, food choice controls health. don't over do it, just do a bit outside your comfort zone and do it every day. platejoy.com really helped me avoid diet fatigue.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    1/2 mile is a great start! It really is. When I started 5 years ago, I could barely walk 1/4 mile without excruciating pain and rest stops. Within a few months I could walk a 5k. Now I’m doing triathlons. Just take it one step (literally) at a time. Keep building from where you are and you’ll be amazed what your body will do for you!
  • appledawn0422
    I suggest you not wait to get good new shoes. If walking hurts your ankles, it may very well be due to the shoes.

I already bought new shoes. It's one ankle and it's from an old injury. Thank you 😊
  • appledawn0422
    lorrpb wrote: »
    1/2 mile is a great start! It really is. When I started 5 years ago, I could barely walk 1/4 mile without excruciating pain and rest stops. Within a few months I could walk a 5k. Now I’m doing triathlons. Just take it one step (literally) at a time. Keep building from where you are and you’ll be amazed what your body will do for you!

That's amazing!! Seems so far away but ik it just takes determination!! Congratulations on your amazing achievements and thanks so much for the encouragement!
  • naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    You can do it! You just need to keep trying. If you persevere you will definitely get there.
  • GrandmaJackie
    GrandmaJackie Posts: 35,625 Member
    edited June 2019
    @appledawn0422, please don’t be ashamed, you took the first step! I was there 8 years ago, when I held my grandson for the first time! You totally have this! I too have achieved many goals since then and soooooo will you!
  • mscatrina07
    mscatrina07 Posts: 43 Member
    Every bit helps you get to your goal. I was the same way at one point and needed a cart to lean on in stores. I’m no where near my goal but I’m also no where near where I was. I’m halfway between and that’s great... you’re not where you started either. Congratulate yourself for making changes and for each small victory along the way. They add up. Don’t forget not to best yourself up either. You didn’t gain overnight and you won’t lose overnight either. I’m proud of you the same way that I’m proud of myself for making the decision and the effort to change our lives. One day at a time. We’ll have food and bad days but don’t give up.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,452 Member
    I'm 40 and morbidly obese. Im just tired of it all. Last week, I went to an amusement park with my teens and was afraid to ride anything. I was afraid I wouldn't fit! That's when I decided to make a change and start living. I've been researching and started meal prepping. I enlisted a work out partner for 3 days a week at the gym. I was all excited. Today, I went to the park to walk a mile. I could only make it a half mile 😭. I'm ashamed. How could I let myself get here!? My lungs hurt, my ankles hurt and my legs burned. I sat on my car and cried.
    You've STARTED. That's where it's important. If you stay CONSISTENT, then things will change. Keep your expectations real. It's gonna be a tough road, but staying the course will prove it's possible.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • amskinner87
    amskinner87 Posts: 163 Member
    Hi @appledawn0422

Congratulations on deciding to make the change. Don't forget that weight loss is mainly down to what you do with your food so if you focus on being in a caloric deficit of up to 500 calories a day then you WILL steadily lose weight.

You don't need to exercise to lose weight (your body mass means your BMR is already high so you can eat quite a lot of cals and lose weight). It is of course good for mobility and fitness. It's great that you are getting out and trying to walk and go to the gym. My advice would be to take it very easy - the last thing you want to do is injure yourself. You said that you found walking half a mile painful, particularly on your knees, legs and ankles. I would suggest finding a distance you can walk without this pain and build up slowly from there (i.e. 100m to start with and add on no more than 10% extra in one go i.e. 100m for x days, then 110m for x days, 121m, 133m, 146m etc). It sounds very tedious but you'll be able to increase it quite quickly (you could even do the walk twice a day) and you can be confident that you're not hurting yourself. Others have suggested lower impact activities such as swimming - these would be good to try.

Good luck with it all - don't be hard on yourself, you're doing really well.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    1/2 mile is fantastic! it takes time to build stamina so don't be hard on yourself.

Wishing you all the very best.