Hormone Replacement Therapy

2»

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Due to shortage on the market I had to switch from one pil to a generic one. I was not responding well to it. Read: I was angry and miserable.
    So despite my earlier statement I did stop as I really felt I was not myself. Given that I had seen the same thing when I was a teenager I knew there were two options: stop or go back to my standard pill. The latter option was not available so I stopped taking it a week ago. I have been through two hellish days as I felt my cycle kick in. But the pain is preferable over the mental issues for now.

Went to see my GP today. We agreed on some bloodwork and to monitor for 3 months and track what happens. One thing is clear though I am still very much in the peri phases.

I had that happen last spring. I was using prometrium (progesterone), then it got swapped with a generic and I felt HORRIBLE. I convinced the pharmacist to return me to prometrium. He did. Then this month there was another generic. This one, so far, works ok. It's frustrating!
  • klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Chillipea wrote: »
    I haven't been able to use HRT due to family history of breast cancer. But, lordy do I want to! Hot flashes, headaches, insomnia, exhaustion, grumpy, horrible skin and a ton of weight gained. I've been putting up with this rubbish for years! I'm hoping that when my period finally stops I can take something. 10 months so far...

This too shall pass, I'm 63, and at year ten post menopause. I get maybe one or two small hot flashes a day, and use a moisturized for my skin. I also had a full hysterectomy two years ago, that kicked in the hot flashes for about a year, but really not worth writing home about now.

Also as a horse woman, we know how the HRT is made, and it is a rather inhumane process as it is made from pregnant mare urine. So most of my equestrian friends opt not to use if for that reason.

And nothing has "dried up and blown away" yet either. ;)
  • 927caryo
    927caryo Posts: 121 Member
    8 months after stopping hrt. I have low energy and irritability. Started therapy and may start acupuncture.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    klkarlen wrote: »
    I haven't been able to use HRT due to family history of breast cancer. But, lordy do I want to! Hot flashes, headaches, insomnia, exhaustion, grumpy, horrible skin and a ton of weight gained. I've been putting up with this rubbish for years! I'm hoping that when my period finally stops I can take something. 10 months so far...

This too shall pass, I'm 63, and at year ten post menopause. I get maybe one or two small hot flashes a day, and use a moisturized for my skin. I also had a full hysterectomy two years ago, that kicked in the hot flashes for about a year, but really not worth writing home about now.

Also as a horse woman, we know how the HRT is made, and it is a rather inhumane process as it is made from pregnant mare urine. So most of my equestrian friends opt not to use if for that reason.

To clarify: that's how Premarin is made. Not all HRT is made from pregnant mare urine.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Due to shortage on the market I had to switch from one pil to a generic one. I was not responding well to it. Read: I was angry and miserable.
    So despite my earlier statement I did stop as I really felt I was not myself. Given that I had seen the same thing when I was a teenager I knew there were two options: stop or go back to my standard pill. The latter option was not available so I stopped taking it a week ago. I have been through two hellish days as I felt my cycle kick in. But the pain is preferable over the mental issues for now.

Went to see my GP today. We agreed on some bloodwork and to monitor for 3 months and track what happens. One thing is clear though I am still very much in the peri phases.

I had that happen last spring. I was using prometrium (progesterone), then it got swapped with a generic and I felt HORRIBLE. I convinced the pharmacist to return me to prometrium. He did. Then this month there was another generic. This one, so far, works ok. It's frustrating!

Heh. I spoke too soon. The new generic was NOT a good fit. My sleeping heart rate went through the roof.

So now I'm back to compounded progesterone.
  • brenda2221
    brenda2221 Posts: 1 Member
    How long did it take for HRT to work? So sick of the hot flashes, trouble sleeping and inability to take weight off (easy before 50)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    klkarlen wrote: »

To clarify: not all HRT is made from pregnant mare's urine.
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    I'm 62 and have been taking HRT for probably 15 yrs at least. I use a patch in a very low dose. Keeps me sane
  • WandaVaughn
    WandaVaughn Posts: 420 Member
    I just had labs done and go for the report tomorrow. I've been extra crazy the last 6 weeks. Guess I'll find out if he recommends hrt tomorrow...
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 406 Member
    Welp, I got on the HRT wagon a few weeks ago. I thought I was going to ride this out with some hot flashes and a few annoying evenings but things intensified pretty quick. It started with depression, then insomnia, then the hot flashes started getting longer and more intense, then night sweats got even worse. Then I got frustrated because August was so freaking hot and I cut my hair off (lol - just a cute bob with bangs but my neck thanked me). When three different antidepressants didn't work, my Psychiatrist and I decided perhaps it was time to deal with my Hormones. So, a visit to my regular doctor (who I love) and after some discussion and a promise to get caught up on my mammogram, she put me on generic Activella (which I was a bit worried about because it can interact with another medication I take) but I FEEL GREAT!! I mean - it has been at least a year since I could honestly say I could feel happy, but I FEEL HAPPY. I've had the energy to go back to my cardio classes (which just help me feel even better), start logging my food again (and getting back to my favorite MFP groups) attempt to make my step goals again, take my little dog for walks, go out and be social with my friends, and just wow. I do still have a couple hot flashes a day, a tad bit of insomnia, and a little bit of soreness in my chestal area but I've only been on them for a little bit less than 3 weeks. I'm hoping that this isn't just a temporary spike - I would love to feel like this for a while. I may even clean my house this weekend lol
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Welp, I got on the HRT wagon a few weeks ago. I thought I was going to ride this out with some hot flashes and a few annoying evenings but things intensified pretty quick. It started with depression, then insomnia, then the hot flashes started getting longer and more intense, then night sweats got even worse. Then I got frustrated because August was so freaking hot and I cut my hair off (lol - just a cute bob with bangs but my neck thanked me). When three different antidepressants didn't work, my Psychiatrist and I decided perhaps it was time to deal with my Hormones. So, a visit to my regular doctor (who I love) and after some discussion and a promise to get caught up on my mammogram, she put me on generic Activella (which I was a bit worried about because it can interact with another medication I take) but I FEEL GREAT!! I mean - it has been at least a year since I could honestly say I could feel happy, but I FEEL HAPPY. I've had the energy to go back to my cardio classes (which just help me feel even better), start logging my food again (and getting back to my favorite MFP groups) attempt to make my step goals again, take my little dog for walks, go out and be social with my friends, and just wow. I do still have a couple hot flashes a day, a tad bit of insomnia, and a little bit of soreness in my chestal area but I've only been on them for a little bit less than 3 weeks. I'm hoping that this isn't just a temporary spike - I would love to feel like this for a while. I may even clean my house this weekend lol
    Hope it keeps working for you!!! I used BHRT for a few years and it was a help.