Food Allergies and diet

Replies

• littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    Cous cous, bulghar wheat, quinoa are all grains that only require boiling water.

Chop some veg, whatever you like, or can tolerate. Roasted veg is good and will keep for days in the fridge if necessary.
    Add some toasted seeds, falafel, roasted chickpeas. All good for protein.

I don't know if you mentioned the ages of your children, but if old enough there is no reason they shouldn't chop some veg or chuck water in a pan. I know dressings have been mentioned as a problem, often I'll just use some olive oil and lemon juice.

This takes me about 30 mins end to end, and of course can make a lot.

Is there anywhere near you that does Indian or middle eastern food? You might find they meet your needs.
  • Libby283
    Libby283 Posts: 288 Member
    Panini911 wrote: »
    Libby283 wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I raised two children on my own. My priorities were my health, my children, and everything else. Clean but not tidy. Organized but with scheduled “down time”. Your described lifestyle is very stressful and if you have liver, kidney, and allergy problems, your body has said “enough”. Ignore its signals at your peril.

Changing how you live and eat is not all deprivation. Frankly I don’t know how you get enough protein if all you tolerate as far as I can tell, is bacon, chicken, and hamburger. And you are sick of chicken. Eating a more balanced diet has got to help you start feeling better.
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I raised two children on my own. My priorities were my health, my children, and everything else. Clean but not tidy. Organized but with scheduled “down time”. Your described lifestyle is very stressful and if you have liver, kidney, and allergy problems, your body has said “enough”. Ignore its signals at your peril.

Changing how you live and eat is not all deprivation. Frankly I don’t know how you get enough protein if all you tolerate as far as I can tell, is bacon, chicken, and hamburger. And you are sick of chicken. Eating a more balanced diet has got to help you start feeling better.

Well when you are allergic to everything it is hard to eat a balanced diet. I am so over salads. I stopped eating dressing years ago because of reactions, which wasn’t terrible with added flavor like egg, chicken salad, tuna salad...chick fil a salads.

I am not a huge fan of salads either. but tried this recently and it's terrific:
    mixed lettuce (not a fan of iceburg)
    veggies i enjoy (for me lots of cherry tomatoes and cucumber, peppers are nice addition)
    HERBS! whatever is handy
    balsamic vinegar (you can add olive oil if you want, i like it with just balsamic vinegar)
    Add any protein you can eat/want to eat you can even go red meat in prepared food isle/deli

seeds can be used for taste and crunch. or maybe try coconut "chips".

And that’s the problem with salads. I dislike cucumbers, tomatoes and uncooked peppers and mushrooms. I use to like cheese and a hard boiled egg, or chicken or tuna salad or breaded chicken.

Allergic to coconut, and potatoes so chips are out. I found a bag of corn chips I am going to try with salsa.
  • Libby283
    Well and now my fiancé has given up cooking anything because it’s so hard to find things I can eat.

I never thought I would be stuck with eating grits for dinner. But when the choices are that or salad...

I ordered a cheesesteak for lunch, because I just could not do the lettuce, shredded carrots, mushrooms and spoon of black beans... of course I got a reaction. By theory it should have been fine.
  • Libby283
    JeBeBu wrote: »
    I have sympathy/empathy for your situation. I am unable to process any mammal products: meats, milks, cheeses, etc. I also do not tolerate fried foods (regardless of oil used). I had mentioned in an earlier post the idea of a vegan food delivery service to allow for a more diverse and balanced option. I, personally, like Daily Harvest, but there are various delivery services available. Often these meals serve as inspiration for me trying similar recipes at home! I know how overwhelming it can feel to begin the process, but not starting -and risking your long-term health- can not be an option! Especially as a parent!

They don’t allow you to list allergens.
  • Libby283
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Reminds me that some guy built a weight loss plan around Chipotle: https://www.menshealth.com/nutrition/a19735225/chipotle-diet-weight-loss/

I'm not recommending, seems a ridiculous idea to me, but I actually find their bowls pretty easy to build a pretty low cal and satiating meal out of. However, you'd get sick to death of it pretty darn quickly, I'd imagine (even if no tainted romaine).

Learning to cook without it feeling like a big production seems to be clearly the answer.

I actually only eat the veggie bowls from chipotle. Little rice, black beans, fajita veggies, cheese, little sour cream, corn salsa, regular salsa...
  • Libby283
    Cous cous, bulghar wheat, quinoa are all grains that only require boiling water.

Chop some veg, whatever you like, or can tolerate. Roasted veg is good and will keep for days in the fridge if necessary.

I don't know if you mentioned the ages of your children, but if old enough there is no reason they shouldn't chop some veg or chuck water in a pan. I know dressings have been mentioned as a problem, often I'll just use some olive oil and lemon juice.

Is there anywhere near you that does Indian or middle eastern food? You might find they meet your needs.
    We have a Thai place but coconut is the issue
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member

We have a Thai place but coconut is the issue

Sure, all of the Thai curries I make have coconut but most of the other dishes in my cookbook do not, and this may be true at your restaurant as well. Did you inquire already?
  • OooohToast
    OooohToast Posts: 257 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Well and now my fiancé has given up cooking anything because it’s so hard to find things I can eat.

I never thought I would be stuck with eating grits for dinner. But when the choices are that or salad...

I ordered a cheesesteak for lunch, because I just could not do the lettuce, shredded carrots, mushrooms and spoon of black beans... of course I got a reaction. By theory it should have been fine.

As long as you see your choices as being limited to grits or salad, you are doomed to suffer.

This....
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited June 2019
    I understand being grumpy and ill-tempered about having to change your life because of health problems. It’s okay to be angry and grieve for your favorite foods. But then get over it and start doing the things you need to do in order to stay healthy.

Sounds like OP is in a grieving/anger phase. that`s fine. but I know when I am in that phase, NOTHING is good enough and i am in zero way open to ANY ideas. nor do i honestly want actual advice/tips i just want to gets things off my chest.

So sounds like this post was just looking for sympathy.

OP once you have had a chance to grieve and moved on to acceptance, please come back and members can try offering some tips and things to try again. Lots of quick things you can meal prep at home super fast.

in the meantime, i'm sorry you are being slammed with so many food allergies and are so busy you cannot make any foods yourself.