The Sober Squad- Alcohol Free Living

Replies

• lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    Going to see my youngest Grandboy play Lacrosse again...I try to go every time they play in town. THEN we are having a sleepover here. It will be the first he's had since I moved and then tomorrow we're doing a hooky day...plug your ears all you teachers out there. LOL. He's 11...12 in November so there isn't much time left before we won't be doing that anymore...he's already quite busy with friends and activities and Granny isn't as much of a thrill as I used to be....they grow up way too fast!! :'(

It's 2 weeks till school ends here & I'm certain he won't be missing much. I'm taking him for breakfast & then we're going to a private lake with a public beach to swim...it's one of my favorite spots cause there's a small beach and a grassy section with a few trees for shade and because it is mid week & school is still in all the tourists will still be in the city and we will likely be the few there, if not the only ones...woohoo !!

Hope everyone has a good evening!
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,158 Member
    ekboh wrote: »
    Hello everyone, I'm enjoying this thread and seeing all the positivity and perspectives. I'm new to MFP and would love to make some friends. I'm a friend of Bill W and I've been sober over 4.5 years now. Lost quite a bit of weight when I got sober but gained it all back, not through drinking luckily!
    One day at a time!

Welcome to our thread! Congrats on 4.5 years!
  • RubyRed427
    I just saw Rocketman about Elton John. It was excellent and surprisingly intriguing. Some of it focused on his alcohol and drug addiction. There was a lot of drinking in the movie too. He had a sad childhood.
    It made me quite proud of him - 28 years sober. I never knew much about him except I remember being little and seeing him perform looking so unhealthy and bloated (didn’t know he had addictions). Highly recommend the movie for your music fans.
  • donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    @lorrainequiche59, that sounds perfect! This teacher gives you a hall pass. Those precious times with kids and grandkids are irreplaceable. Have a wonderful time!

@RubyRed427, thanks for the recommendation. My mom also loved the film and felt great compassion for Sir Elton. He was my first concert in 1972. Big jeweled glasses and all in a fairly small venue in Houston. That must have been pre-bloated days. His recovery will be inspiring I’m sure.
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,486 Member
    @Sunshinelinzee I am so sorry about your bad news. No doubt that would be a trigger for most of us. Try not to beat yourself up and think about how well you have been doing overall. You will be back on track once you feel better.
  • aroze0928
    aroze0928 Posts: 254 Member
    dlbohl1991 wrote: »
    June26th 2019=3 years!:)

Congratulations!
  • RubyRed427
    Very inspiring posts!! Thanks @lagoscarrie for your well written, amazing post. Very inspirational!

@Sunshinelinzee You've done so well! Keep perspective that one blip will not undo all your positive changes. In fact, those blips cement our goals and desires even more. Sorry you're going through tough times.
  • RubyRed427
    @donimfp I saw an article about burnout and self care and thought of you. It’s way too long of an article but it can benefit some of us who use alcohol to cope with burnout and feeling of being overwhelmed.
    https://apple.news/AIpff5DBdSoWrDu8Pqk6-Sg
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Six Months Today!

Six months ago I woke up with a huge anxiety attack after too much wine the night before. It was winter. I was visiting my parents in Minnesota. I could not remember if I'd said or done or eaten anything foolish. I knew I probably had not, but that did nothing to relieve the horrible anxiety. And I said, "Enough."

I'd read This Naked Mind a few months earlier, but I fooled myself into thinking I would make rules for myself that I could follow. I could not. Still, the seed was planted. There was so much that made sense. I took good care of my body in every other respect and then I did this? I knew it was the piece of me that was out of alignment.

That night, I went for a walk. I still thought of giving up wine as a sacrifice. I still had images of myself sitting in a church basement, styrofoam cup in hand, claiming to be powerless—something I felt, on the deepest level was simply not true. And then I "heard" or felt a voice say to me, "Without alcohol, you can do anything."

I walked a long time that night, thinking this over. It was not a sacrifice; it was an exchange. Every limitation on my personal growth was imposed by alcohol. It was the thing that stood in my way in my career, my artistic life, my relationships, my health.

"Anything?" I questioned. And this deep assurance came back to me. Anything.

If I simply listed everything that has happened—or I have made happen—in the last six months, it would be hard to believe. To say this time has been transformative is not an exaggeration. And yet, I know a lot of that time has been spent healing and I am likely only now coming into my full potential.

I had one topple off the wagon at about day 75, but I chose to keep counting. That spill proved to me that this was not an experiment anymore but a way of life and no—once and for all, no—this was not something I would grow out of.

I don't write here very often because my weight is where I want it and my life is now so filled with things I love to do. My career has gone mad in the best possible way and I am genuinely reinventing myself at 56 years old. I try not to think of where I would be if I had not wasted so much time the last few years drinking. I only get today. Today is enough.

I just want to say to anyone struggling or sitting on the fence: Believe. Believe in yourself and the life that is waiting for you. Things WILL change and some of those changes will be uncomfortable because alcohol has been very busy limiting your life and a life that is growing and becoming richer takes some getting used to. It is worth it. It is worth it. It is so worth it.

Congratulations on 6 months! Amazing job
  • lorrainequiche59
    @dIbohI1991 Congrats on 3 years AF :D
    @Sunshinelinzee <3
    @lagoscarrie Congrats on 6 months AF :D
    @WhitPauly <3 Sorry for your pain
  • lorrainequiche59
    @FeelinFooFoo You Will do this!! You did so well through the 30 day challenge. Annie helped you before & she can help you again. I can relate to you pouring booze down the drain and it being "so NOT me!!" I think that's when I started to realize I was getting sick & tired of myself drinking. I went from thinking that "maybe" I don't have that much of a problem if I can pour booze down the drain to, IF I have to pour booze down the drain to keep from drinking it then I definitely have a problem. If I could control my drinking, I wouldn't need to pour it out...obviously I didn't trust myself...@lagoscarrie's post is a keeper to re-read also...some profound points in there!!
  • lorrainequiche59
    @donimfp GREAT post...your focus is in the right place :D