Wrinkles?

Has anyone else noticed worse aging in the face post-weight loss? And have you tried anything like fillers? I'm 36 and I lost about 50 lbs, which I'm maintaining well and recomping. My body is varying degrees of wrecked (abs under stretch marks... Ugh), which I can hide; but, I'm kind of sad about the face.

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Yes. It got better. Moisturizer helps.
  • lunchboxchuck
    lunchboxchuck Posts: 46 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    My appearance kept improving for a long time after reaching goal at age 59-60, at least into my 2nd year of maintenance, maybe longer. (I lost about 50 pounds in a little less than a year.) That includes facial appearance.

Face, in particular, improved a bit faster . . . not so much the wrinkles (though they did improve), but I feel like I had a bit of haggard/drawn appearance from months at a calorie deficit that improved after a couple or three months of eating at maintenance. Possibly glycogen replenishment, which is quite quick, was part of that. I'm in year 3 of maintenance now, and it's common for people to react with visible disbelief if I tell them I was obese that short a time ago, so I'd infer that my appearance now isn't materially worse than anyone else my age (currently 63).

The things that help us be healthier in general will also help with skin health: It's an organ, like all the others. I'm talking primarily about well-rounded nutrition, sensible amounts of regular exercise, hydration.

I've used some of the topical products that supposedly reduce fine lines, but don't now use them regularly. If you're talking about injected fillers, it might be a good idea to hold off for a few months to a year in maintenance if you can: Starting down that road becomes something you need to keep repeating, and I'm thinking the fillers themselves might limit your skin's ability to shrink back in a natural, healthy way. Just a guess, though.

Exciting to hear it improved. I'm getting impatient... The into two years scares me a little. I'm eating at maintenance, weight-wise, but my clothing size keeps going down, so maybe I'm not out of the "drawn“ look, yet.

Good point about the fillers. Again, I'm getting impatient, but maybe shouldn't. I'm feeling really self conscious about the marionette lines that came out of nowhere. I thought I was too young for these... No, just fat.

I went from fat and pretty to jacked and busted with bonus loose skin! Yay! At least I feel good physically.

Congrats on your hard work losing and the arguably tougher long term maintenance!! Thanks for chiming in.
  • lunchboxchuck
    Suuzanne37 wrote: »
    Firstly try improving your skincare routine before anything invasive; scrub, cleanse, tone, moisturize (serum & face cream). Products don’t have to be expensive.

In addition; sleep, sun care, no smoking and lowering of stress.

I'm on all this for sure. Hopefully it eventually works and I'm not stuck like this.
  • slbbw
    slbbw Posts: 329 Member
    I lost 40lbs this go round and for the first time I noticed sagging skin and wrinkles. I am almost to maintenance and it has definitely improved since reducing my deficit. As soon as I noticed I upped my skin care including a good moisturizer for mature skin and occasional whole milk greek yogurt and instant coffee masks. Its a cheap to make at home skin treatment and the fat, probiotic and caffeine I have found visibly improve my skin.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    I promise it gets better. I personally do use Botox between the brows and don’t begrudge anyone a little help to combat aging - but once you’re in maintenance for a bit, it will fill back out a bit. It just takes a bit of time for the “redistribution”. BTW, I’m 54 and lost #75.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,913 Member
    I was gonna say botox too. Also collagen supposedly does wonders for the skin. I have recently started to take collagen supplement but can't tell if it's working or not because I also got botox (LOL!) so yeah... when the botox wears off i'll know if the collagen is working!
  • lunchboxchuck
    nowine4me wrote: »
    I promise it gets better. I personally do use Botox between the brows and don’t begrudge anyone a little help to combat aging - but once you’re in maintenance for a bit, it will fill back out a bit. It just takes a bit of time for the “redistribution”. BTW, I’m 54 and lost #75.

I get Botox between the brows and on my forehead. I did that before the weight loss. I wish I didn't *need* to move my mouth! Heh.

I guess I'll see what happens before fillers and the boob job.
  • lunchboxchuck
    Cahgetsfit wrote: »
    I was gonna say botox too. Also collagen supposedly does wonders for the skin. I have recently started to take collagen supplement but can't tell if it's working or not because I also got botox (LOL!) so yeah... when the botox wears off i'll know if the collagen is working!

I've heard mixed things about collagen. I've heard that your body breaks it down to amino acids just like any other protein. But who knows? It might be worth a shot.
  • marlysgirl
    marlysgirl Posts: 16 Member
    Fish oil + alpha lipoic acid makes my skin look amazing
  • kmfeig87
    kmfeig87 Posts: 1,990 Member
    Drink water. Lots of water. And then drink more water! Go for 96 oz or even a gallon a day! I swear it helps!
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    not sure about the face but i'm getting a boob job once i hit year 2 of maintenance. i miss the boobs i had when i was obese lol.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,145 Member
    nowine4me wrote: »

I get Botox between the brows and on my forehead. I did that before the weight loss. I wish I didn't *need* to move my mouth! Heh.

I guess I'll see what happens before fillers and the boob job.

I get Botox for my marionette lines every three months along with my brow and forehead. Just a smidge--4 or 5 units a side. It doesn't eliminate them, but softens them noticeably and more importantly, has kept them from getting deeper. I've only noticed a reduction in the lines, absolutely no effect on the mobility of my mouth and lower face. You should talk to your doctor about it next time you go in!
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    k8eekins wrote: »
    [quote=
    Early 2012 I weighed 859 lbs and by Nov 2012 I signed into MFP weighing 387 lbs and by Nov 2013, I had bypassed my goal (healthy weight range), sitting between fitness: athletic aesthetics, thanks to my sister (777Gemma888), Sidesteel (of Eat Train Progress) and Acg67

I just have to say wow. Just, wow. Congratulations!!!!

• lunchboxchuck
    marlysgirl wrote: »
    Fish oil + alpha lipoic acid makes my skin look amazing

It does not make mine look amazing. ☹️
  • lunchboxchuck
    kmfeig87 wrote: »
    Drink water. Lots of water. And then drink more water! Go for 96 oz or even a gallon a day! I swear it helps!

I dooooooo.
  • lunchboxchuck
    I’m 51 now. I lost 125 lbs and have been maintaining for about a year and a half. I still see improvement. These are two pictures taken a year apart, same weight, no makeup, same pose and expression, same lighting and camera, on Christmas morning in my bathroom. The left is Christmas 2017 and the right is Christmas 2018.
    xqb8fjf3ltfr.jpeg

Rad! You look beautiful!