Never enough protein

2»

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    what about other white meats? chicken, turkey, pork tenderloin? what about non-fish seafood (shrimp, scallops)
  • lauragreenbaum
    lauragreenbaum Posts: 1,017 Member
    what about other white meats? chicken, turkey, pork tenderloin? what about non-fish seafood (shrimp, scallops)

I do eat a lot of chicken and turkey. I do not eat pork. I don't love fish or seafood- the only way I like shrimp is if it's battered and fried :-)
  • Roza42
    Roza42 Posts: 247 Member
    I put collagen in my coffee. I have both single serve packages and canisters. It dissolves completely in liquids and has 43 calories and 11 g protein per serving. https://greatlakesgelatin.com/products/hydrolysate-single-can
  • lauragreenbaum
    lauragreenbaum Posts: 1,017 Member
    Question: Is protein powder bad for you? I have a friend who is really into natural and holistic foods and medicines, and she's telling me it's not good for you. Is it?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    Question: Is protein powder bad for you? I have a friend who is really into natural and holistic foods and medicines, and she's telling me it's not good for you. Is it?

There are many different types of protein powder (whey, casein, egg, pea, soy, and many more), produced in very different ways. How likely is it that all of them are bad for you?

Protein powder is typically a highly processed food. That doesn't make it inherently a bad thing, but it makes some people think it is.

I'm not going to vouch for every protein powder on the market, but many/most of them are fine for you, and (for some people) can be a useful way to achieve their nutritional goals. I don't use them, but only because I don't mostly find them tasty or satisfying. While I feel like it's a good thing to get as much of one's nutrition from regular food as practical - just because it's evolution-tested ;) - using a good protein powder to top up one's protein goal should be fine.

Just my opinon, though.
  • mom2kpr
    mom2kpr Posts: 348 Member
    Quinoa, legumes/beans (black, pinto, etc). Vegetables and grains have some protein in them. That mixed with the other suggestions you gotten, could help you increase your protein. I struggle to get protein in also - I do protein powder most days.
  • dmroberts3311
    dmroberts3311 Posts: 4 Member
    Same struggle here, trying to eat more protein. Searching for ideas...have heard about Korn?? After reading what it was and how it was made I will stick with chicken. Hummus is good too!
  • annspal4
    annspal4 Posts: 8 Member
    Before I got serious about making better decisions about my food choices, I “hated” cottage cheese AND yogurt. I taught myself to not only tolerate them but to look forward to both. I remember making tuna salad and egg salad to enjoy with toast, lettuce, etc. using just a little cottage cheese and upping the percentage each time. Now I am happy to have a small serving of fat free cottage cheese and consider it a treat!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member

Here. Grass-fed cows, minimal ingredients. 90 cal for 20 g of protein. (I never drink it straight - I add fruit, veggies, and fat & additional fiber sources, so that bumps up the calories. And satiety.)

https://smile.amazon.com/Biochem-Ultimate-protein-Natural-24-6-Ounce/dp/B0015QSU9Q/
  • bosque1234
    bosque1234 Posts: 60 Member
    Try Greek yogurt, a whey supplement powder, and try Googling, high protein, low fat foods. :-)
  • ducttapebowtie
    ducttapebowtie Posts: 10 Member
    Quinoa! It's a seed, not a grain, technically. I also really like low-fat string cheese, personally.