Weird things you do with food

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,551 Member
    I've been googling various methods to tenderize cheaper cuts of beef for asian stir fries. Motivation is partly cost but also sustainability. I read one organic butcher complain that in a month he sells 60 cows worth of sirloin but only 10 cows worth of topside. If I am going to eat beef which is not environmentally friendly, I could at least try to limit use of premium cuts.

So I tried 4 batches of stir fry using topside sliced against the grain and salted. First was the control group which was only dusted in cornstarch along with the salt, TR. Second was baking powder, cornstrch, salt, TL. Third was soaked in a water and baking soda solution, that was rinsed off, dried and salted, BR. Fourth was soaked in the baking soda solution, rinsed, dried, doused in cornstarch and salted, BL.

The first batch was tough. The second was better but still a bit tough. Third was extremely soft but I could taste a bit of the baking soda. Maybe better rinsing or the addition of a stir fry sauce would help. Fourth batch was tenderest of all but by then all the corn starch stuck to the bottom of the pan was taking on a burnt taste which adversely affected flavour but definitely masked the baking soda taste of batch 3. I normally use a good non stick pan when I stir fry meat coated in starch which prevents it from sticking and overbrowning, but just used a small stainless steel sauce pan for this experiment.

hkfnzaxxa3x8.jpg

• Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,476 Member
    Kbtm6419 wrote: »
    If I order Chinese I put it into the freezer until it gets cold and then eat it lol I love cold Chinese food

Cold chow mein is the best!
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,476 Member
    I don't do this anymore, but as a teen I used to mix cottage cheese and kidney beans together for a snack.
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Kbtm6419 wrote: »
    If I order Chinese I put it into the freezer until it gets cold and then eat it lol I love cold Chinese food

I like cold crab rangoon and lo mein but thats about it i think.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    acpgee wrote: »
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Red Boat fish sauce on popcorn.

Doesnt this make the popcorn soggy?

No, because you don't need much to add a lot of flavor. Just a few drops goes a long way.

I put hot sauce on mine
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Recently I have been dipping my PB&J sandwiches in sea salt. Salty bread with the sweet jelly...amazing. (But not for my sodium intake)
  • joannie92
    joannie92 Posts: 82 Member
    I make 'nibble plates' everything chopped and arranged neatly, for example celery, cucumber and carrots chopped to the same thickness and length and not mixed up 😂 it must be an ocd thing but I'm sure it tastes better when it's presented pretty and the more colourful the better!
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    I was dipping bbq chips in cottage cheese at lunch today...got some wierd looks.
  • chawhi31
    chawhi31 Posts: 2 Member
    Never had anything better than a meatloaf sandwich with ketchup
  • acpgee
    I have got to try this. Essentially spaghetti aglio olio made with chinese egg noodles, butter instead of olive oil, and add fish sauce, oyster sauce and a pinch of sugar to give it a Vietnamese twist. Apparently the signature dish of a Vietnamese/American restaurant in San Francisco.

https://deliciousnotgorgeous.com/vietnamese-garlic-butter-noodles/
  • acpgee
    I have got to try this. Essentially spaghetti aglio olio made with chinese egg noodles, butter instead of olive oil, and add fish sauce, oyster sauce and a pinch of sugar to give it a Vietnamese twist. Apparently the signature dish of a Vietnamese/American restaurant in San Francisco.

https://deliciousnotgorgeous.com/vietnamese-garlic-butter-noodles/

This was a bit odd. The jarring note was the oyster sauce which I will reduce next time. Vietnamese fish sauce with butter, garlic and parmesan is a natural pairing as it is essentially anchovy so goes well with Italian flavours.
  • nae5001
    nae5001 Posts: 3 Member
    The inside of Whoppers Malted Milk Balls is the best! I eat the chocolate off of a pile of them, so that I can save up and eat all of the middles last.
    Also, french fries with salt & pepper dipped in sour cream (you put sour cream on baked potatoes, why not fries? ). Or fries with bbq sauce (salute to Harold's Chicken!)
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Occasionally I will nuke a sweet potato until it's soft, then eat it like an apple.
  • OkieGina
    OkieGina Posts: 126 Member
    I peel grapefruit and eat it like an orange sometimes.

Graham crackers (especially the ones with cinnamon sugar on top) are amazing with peanut butter on top.

Peanut butter on waffles (before the syrup).

Sometimes I eat okra raw, like a carrot.

When I was a kid, they used to make club crackers in a full sheet (like graham crackers). I found this "recipe" once that I swear was a club cracker, peanut butter, slice cheese (American) and ham - all stacked up and microwaved slightly. I loved those. But I might be remembering it incorrectly...

I'm sure there's more, but that's all I've got for now...
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    I eat my fries (and poutine) with gravy, ketchup and vinegar. The worse the gravy the better it tastes so for most places that have the canned gravy it's awesome. I don't do it with real pan gravy because it doesn't taste right LOL

Peanut Butter and Cheesewhiz sandwiches are great too.
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    If I'm at home eating French fries I'll add ketchup and drench the ketchup in sea salt. OMG so good.
  • JeBeBu
    JeBeBu Posts: 258 Member
    I one time had Miso soup for breakfast and my husbands family almost disowned me.

This is a regular breakfast for me! Especially if I teach morning swim classes. It is so warm and comforting!
    I will adopt you if they disown you & we will happily slurp our miso together!
  • Roza42
    Roza42 Posts: 247 Member
    peanut butter and banana on my toast. If I have extra calories throw on a slice or two of bacon.
    Bacon roasted jalapeno pancake
    maple syrup in my coffee
    medium rare liver
    mustard and pepper on fries
    curry and chili powder on popcorn or cumin and pepper powder, the popcorn has to be popped in bacon grease
    Bacon or pork belly cooked in an airless fryer, crispy fat
  • widgit808
    widgit808 Posts: 193 Member
    Roza42 wrote: »
    peanut butter and banana on my toast. If I have extra calories throw on a slice or two of bacon.
    Bacon roasted jalapeno pancake
    maple syrup in my coffee
    medium rare liver
    mustard and pepper on fries
    curry and chili powder on popcorn or cumin and pepper powder, the popcorn has to be popped in bacon grease
    Bacon or pork belly cooked in an airless fryer, crispy fat

Yes to all of this!!!