Food Allergies and diet

Replies

• Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    I'm really sorry to have to tell you about a 15 year old girl who was going on holiday from the UK who died. She was known to have a life threatening reaction to only sesame seeds. Her family deemed it safe from what they read on a sandwich packet and boards that she would be safe. As a result of her death and that of another young person at about the same time our legislation on sandwiches and the like bought for haste foods has been changed.

As someone who had only intolerances I would not buy a thing which I did not know the provenance of meaning, my life comfort/health, family meant more to me than buying something someone else prepared even though mostly we can trust our environmental health system over here some companies do cut corners.

Just because you think you will be able to find a company you can trust foods from you can never be sure you are safe. Again quoting one UK over the counter meal related death, the proprietor or leading staff took actions to reduce their costs by changing ingredients, not changing the list of ingredients in each and every item which had changed. The result if I remember rightly, the designated person served time for the death.

Now, like I say, my 2 children, who I support by myself from their early teens, their 9 children between them and the children they have deserve me to do my best to be healthy.

I accept your right to consider others should mind your health for you.
  • Libby283
    Libby283 Posts: 288 Member
    Libby283 wrote: »
    Athijade wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Is this your complete list of "can'ts"?

"egg, white potatoes, coconut, palm oil, turkey, lamb, pork, strawberries, fish or nuts"

Though I think earlier on they could eat pork so who knows.

Honestly, this does not seem that hard to deal with. Chicken, beef, lentils, beans, and tofu all are possible. As are most veggies and fruits and grains. I had to cut out a LOT more then this (look at the IC diet) or I would be in debilitating pain and causing damage to my body. I am also allergic to soy which is crazy hard to avoid when it comes to prepared foods or takeout, so I get that. I really do.

Now for some tough advice. OP, you need to just deal with it. You can not be unwilling to accept the help and advice you have gotten here. You seem unwilling to make the changes you need to make for your own health and well being. Fine, that is your decision, but realize you are just making it harder on yourself and your family by doing so. You need to learn how to cook and you need to get over some of the pickiness. There are a HUGE number of foods you can eat, but you seem to not want to even try if it takes some work.

I will never learn to cook. I will need to find foods I can eat in restaurants or carry out. That is being realistic.

Okay, you mentioned a fiancé who cooks, can you work with that? It sounded as though the fiancé was getting fed up, but maybe a little kindness from you could fix that. It’s possible for only one half of a couple to do the cooking.

How do your kids eat, if you can’t even reheat foods without destroying them? And why on earth would you reheat black beans into a dried up mess? This is not hard. You can read, you appear to be of normal intelligence, in order to be quite this hapless you have to be sabotaging yourself on purpose to prove to yourself that you can’t cook. Cooking is nothing but reading and following instructions.

If you have multiple, unusual, serious allergies you will never find foods you can eat in restaurants or carry out without constant risk of a reaction, unless you are wealthy enough to employ your own chef. That’s being realistic.

I have done things to food that other have tried to duplicate without success. I did read how to cook beans in the microwave and followed the directions.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,883 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Now I count three people in your household who can cook. You have a fiancée who is ready to give up because of your many restrictions (I can’t imagine why), and two children. On a rotating schedule and a reheat day it should not be too much of a burden on anyone.

Stock your freezer and cupboards with foods you can eat and set your cooks free.

Let’s see. I know you like the salsas and black beans. You can have rice and eggless pasta. And chicken. Lots and lots of chicken. How about precooked bacon? Dairy is OK I take it? Then you can have sour cream and cheese on hand to jazz up the meals.

I haven’t double checked your allergy list but for the sake of the cooks in your life I suggest you keep egg substitute, vegetable oil, vinegar, lemon juice, soy sauce, some basic spices, garlic, flour, corn starch and baking powder in the house for your cooks.

Great idea!
  • cooliocat123
    cooliocat123 Posts: 48 Member
    You might add me and look at my diary to get some ideas. I’m allergic to many things too, not all the same as you.

Nuts
    Raw stone fruit, bananas, avocado
    Raw parsley
    Carrots
    Mango, papaya, dates

I also don’t eat most meat, just occasionally, so most of what I eat is vegetarian.

I just started logging this week after my second baby was born, but I logged for pretty much a year solid in 2016 June onward.

I’d recommend pasta bakes with lots of cheese (I just found a recipe for a penne bake with roasted bell pepper, onion and cauliflower and it’s amazing), soups with lentils and sweet potatoes, etc. Mexican food is good- you can have black beans, rice, tortillas with no palm oil, cheese, salsa, sour cream. Add spinach and it’s now a taco salad. Quesadillas, burritos etc have most of the same ingredients. Add corn tortillas and you have enchiladas.

You could have mujadarrah (it’s rice and lentils with carmelized onions). You could have Greek yogurt with jam mixed in for breakfast. Spaghetti, macaroni with kidney beans and cheddar.

Basically Italian, Indian, and Mexican food have great vegetarian options that work well for allergies. Also soup. We make our own bread so it won’t have contact with tree nuts; it’s an easy recipe.