What things do you eat/drink that you dislike in the name of good health?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member
    noel2fit wrote: »
    Lots of things. I'm surprised to hear so many people saying never. Salads and greens of all kinds especially. I'd never eat a leaf of any kind of lettuce, kale, cabbage, chard, spinach, etc ever again if I didn't think it was healthy. I dislike wheat/whole grain. I dislike quinoa, oats, all beans with the exception of refried in loads of fat and salt. I dislike lean meats like roasted chicken or broiled salmon and would only ever eat fried chicken/seafood and hamburger patties if lean protein weren't the "healthy" option.

Maybe it's that most of us replying that way have many fewer dislikes than you do? I actively enjoy most of the things you dislike.

I dislike seaweed salad, and mildly dislike lima beans. I don't eat meat/fish/seafood, and not much enjoying it had something to do with my becoming vegetarian 45 years ago, but I wouldn't say I totally dislike most of those things now. (There are a wider range among those that I do dislike: Most seafood (don't like iodine-y tasting things or the texture of things like oysters), giblets, beef tongue, and a few other things. Fowl, beef, and game are mostly OK and I'd eat them if not vegetarian. Pork I kind of miss.)

I think most of the things I dislike are "healthy". But I don't need to eat them to get good nutrition, with so many other tasty options available. Ditto for the meat/fish/seafood.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Not one single thing.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,253 Member
    noel2fit wrote: »
    Lots of things. I'm surprised to hear so many people saying never. Salads and greens of all kinds especially. I'd never eat a leaf of any kind of lettuce, kale, cabbage, chard, spinach, etc ever again if I didn't think it was healthy. I dislike wheat/whole grain. I dislike quinoa, oats, all beans with the exception of refried in loads of fat and salt. I dislike lean meats like roasted chicken or broiled salmon and would only ever eat fried chicken/seafood and hamburger patties if lean protein weren't the "healthy" option.

I love oats to the extent that I buy oat milk even though I’m not vegan. Back in the bad old days when I thought nothing of eating a whole large pizza AND dessert, I once spent a summer virtually living on Caesar salad because it was so darn’ tasty. These days I get cravings for courgette.

Are you surprised that so many people actually like the taste of nutrient-rich foods?
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    I don’t eat anything I don’t like, why would I do that?

Admittedly, it helps that I like most things :)

You never ever tried a food that you didn't like? That's remarkable. 😨
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Lorleee wrote: »
    I got myself to enjoy plain Greek yogurt instead of the flavoured variety. It wasn't easy at first but now I'm good with it. :)

I buy the plain greek and I add fruit and sweetener and usually protein powder to get more protein in.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    I don’t eat anything I don’t like. Life is indeed short and I don’t have tons of calories (relatively) to work with so I want to enjoy them all.
    I agree about roasting your veggies! It makes such a difference. Try some good Pecorino Romano on top too!
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    OhMsDiva wrote: »
    Lorleee wrote: »
    I got myself to enjoy plain Greek yogurt instead of the flavoured variety. It wasn't easy at first but now I'm good with it. :)

I buy the plain greek and I add fruit and sweetener and usually protein powder to get more protein in.

My breakfast every morning is 0% Fage, chocolate PB2, protein powder (current favorite is Optimum Gold Standard double chocolate), and Trader Joe's fiber cereal. My usual portion is 290 calories, 39 grams protein, 12 grams fiber, chocolate creamy crunchy deliciousness.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    City water. I usually drink bottled water, and I like it fine. But if I am out——
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Nothing, I occasionally think "I should eat more fruit" but I don't particularly like it, I prefer veggies and figure they'll cover off anything I'm missing out of from fruit.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I'd distinguish this from rigidly refusing to eat things out of prejudice, which can be a thing. I do think it's good to experiment with new foods, and to give them a fair try . . . which can include trying them several times, prepared in different ways.

This and I will retry foods that I previously did not like on occasion to see if I like them now. I have liked, disliked, and then liked a few foods. Broccoli is one. I liked it okay in my 20's. I hated it for about 10 years to the point I didn't even like to smell it. Now some weeks I eat 2+ pounds of it.

I will also re-try foods every couple or few years. There are a few foods I have solidly established that I just do not like, never have and never will. People will harass me that I just need to try it again because I clearly don't know what I'm talking about. Yes, I do know. I have tried whatever the food in question in many times throughout my life, intentionally and unintentionally, prepared a number of ways and it is always disgusting. So stop trying to feed me lettuce! On the other hand there are lots of foods that I will now happily eat which I used to not like and a few foods that I go through phases with as you described.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    puffbrat wrote: »
    NovusDies wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I'd distinguish this from rigidly refusing to eat things out of prejudice, which can be a thing. I do think it's good to experiment with new foods, and to give them a fair try . . . which can include trying them several times, prepared in different ways.

This and I will retry foods that I previously did not like on occasion to see if I like them now. I have liked, disliked, and then liked a few foods. Broccoli is one. I liked it okay in my 20's. I hated it for about 10 years to the point I didn't even like to smell it. Now some weeks I eat 2+ pounds of it.

I will also re-try foods every couple or few years. There are a few foods I have solidly established that I just do not like, never have and never will. People will harass me that I just need to try it again because I clearly don't know what I'm talking about. Yes, I do know. I have tried whatever the food in question in many times throughout my life, intentionally and unintentionally, prepared a number of ways and it is always disgusting. So stop trying to feed me lettuce! On the other hand there are lots of foods that I will now happily eat which I used to not like and a few foods that I go through phases with as you described.

I've developed tastes for a very few things, but most of my deep seated aversions haven't changed. I can choke down mushrooms if I have to, but it doesn't mean I'll seek them out. (Yes, I am vegetarian; no, I don't like mushrooms; please stop calling a hunk of portobello the "vegetarian option"; they really don't substitute for a nice meatless protein.)
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    edited June 2019
    Nothing really...I like almost all the typical "healthy" foods and I love vegetables, fruit, etc.

BUT there are tons of things I do NOT eat (or eat very infrequently) that I'd kinda like to eat all the time. I'm not a person who has started living a healthier life and no longer desires Snickers bars and spoonfuls of frosting...I still like all that stuff! I mean, if greasy burgers were just as healthy for me as a big bowl of homemade chickpea, tomato and zucchini stew, I'd probably choose greasy burgers 8/10 of the time and eat takeout near-daily. Instead, I get a burger 1/10 of the time, if that.
  • dlbohl1991
    dlbohl1991 Posts: 786 Member
    Broccoli, almonds and walnuts
  • IsETHome
    IsETHome Posts: 386 Member
    Brown rice instead of white, lime instead of dressing, lettuce because it is low cal filler. Lowe sugar items...well because they are lower sugar (but I have my limits). I prefer beef but opt for other proteins because it’s not good for me to eat steak every day.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Brocolli and spinach are pretty much my favorite foods. 😁 For me it's most protein sources I don't really care for. I don't eat meat but tonight I had two Gardein fake chicken patties with my dinner, and I have a protein shake most days. I don't really care for it but what are you gonna do - have to eat some protein. 🤷‍♀️