Obese and lifting? Show me your results!

Hello! So I have been working out on and off but it's been 2 weeks since I've been working out consistently. I do 20-30 mins of cardio and 25-30 mins of strength workouts/lifting. I also eat fairly low carb but not keto. Im at 269 and 5'3-5'4 and haven't lost a pound this week😭. I heard weight loss is slower when lifting but you lose more inches so just need some motivation to know that it's worth it!

Replies

• elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    I don't lift..but all I know is many of those who do, post on the forums they wish they had done it sooner. I've also seen posts where people lift and lose no weight but a year later are incredibly leaner, totally ripped.. and look way smaller than when they weighed the same.

I guess you can't let the scale get into your head if you're taking that path.. I'd think before pictures and measuring tape could be your best friend. Don't be discouraged.
  • Alia_R
    Alia_R Posts: 410 Member
    It all depends on intensity, especially when it comes to cardio - you want to aim for high intensity for about the same duration you’re doing now. The same goes with weight lifting, however, you might want to seperate your cardio from weightlifting (do them on seperate days).

Also, I’m not sure if you’ve heard the terms “cutting & bulking”. There’s a seperate forum on here that’s full of useful info. People tend to “cut” body fat by doing cardio first before “bulking” or putting on muscle mass. There’s also another term “recomp” - which is slower than cutting and bulking.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,292 Member
    Hello! So I have been working out on and off but it's been 2 weeks since I've been working out consistently. I do 20-30 mins of cardio and 25-30 mins of strength workouts/lifting. I also eat fairly low carb but not keto. Im at 269 and 5'3-5'4 and haven't lost a pound this week😭. I heard weight loss is slower when lifting but you lose more inches so just need some motivation to know that it's worth it!

You should lose just as fast, (as weight loss is based on caloric deficit, just not at first, as when you are new to lifting your muscles will retain water to protect them and aid in recovery. once you get used to the new routine your muscles will shed much of the excess water.
  • GretelGSD
    GretelGSD Posts: 11 Member
    @lorrpb you look incredible, what an achievement!!!!!!
  • heyheykourtne
    heyheykourtne Posts: 4 Member
    lorrpb wrote: »
    I started lifting 5 years ago at 300 and have done so every week since, still lift today, 5 years into maintenance at 160. (Except the the 2 months I’ve not been lifting as much because I started cycling and don’t have time for both plus my swimming.) My weight loss was caused by monitoring my food and eating at a calorie deficit. Lifting has improved my functional strength so I can do more activities, and I believe it helped me look better at goal and beyond too. You really need more than 2 weeks to draw any conclusions.

t50298se5z43.jpeg
    dogznsygdxqy.jpeg

Omg such an inspiration!!! Yes you're right can't really base it off 2 weeks but I mean at least I can see that it does work! I don't believe in the whole calories in and calories out bc I have PCOS and not all calories are the same for me so thank you I will continue to lift do cardio and eat at a deficit.
  • heyheykourtne
    I was a couple pounds under obese in the before picture. I'm still technically overweight.

wus6vczupm02.jpg

Cardio vs weight lifting
    2kaqbpdb2wgj.jpg

Wow congrats!!! The one thing I notice when people lift is how great their bodies look! You look amazing. I gain muscle very easily but need to lose about 100 lbs and trying to do it without needing surgery bc of too much saggy skin. I don't mind a little sag but this definitely motivates me to stick to my guns!
  • EliseTK1
    EliseTK1 Posts: 479 Member
    These pics and stories are amazing. Thank you all for sharing!
  • sweetbe44
    sweetbe44 Posts: 195 Member
    I strength train 3 times a week for an hour and it hasn’t affected my weight loss because I’m eating in a calorie deficit. Strength training while in a deficit helps ensure you don’t lose any muscle mass along with any fat loss.
  • MrsTitus2
    MrsTitus2 Posts: 61 Member
    lorrpb wrote: »
    I started lifting 5 years ago at 300 and have done so every week since, still lift today, 5 years into maintenance at 160. (Except the the 2 months I’ve not been lifting as much because I started cycling and don’t have time for both plus my swimming.) My weight loss was caused by monitoring my food and eating at a calorie deficit. Lifting has improved my functional strength so I can do more activities, and I believe it helped me look better at goal and beyond too. You really need more than 2 weeks to draw any conclusions.

t50298se5z43.jpeg
    dogznsygdxqy.jpeg

You look great. Do you feel like you have more energy since your weight loss ? What about moving around? Do you feel lighter? I am 20 pounds from my goal loss of 80 pounds and I feel stuck and unmotivated. Of this 20 pounds 10 was already off! I was 10 pound away and celebrated too much and here I am !
  • heyheykourtne
    Jra2127 wrote: »
    I lift more often then I cardio.
    The numbers on the scale don't show everything. This is me: at 210 and 202. Not much of a scale loss but I think a very visible difference.
    Lift weight. Be strong. I have found that my lifting achievements and given a different and more positive body image.nokfq7gcjrws.png
    Yes! This is what I like to see. 8lb lose but you definitely lost inches. So motivating!
  • Silhouette_man
    Silhouette_man Posts: 104 Member

t50298se5z43.jpeg
    dogznsygdxqy.jpeg[/quote]

A very inspiring journey and story.
  • ChickieBoom22
    ChickieBoom22 Posts: 74 Member
    I always give myself one month when I’m starting out before I weigh. After the first month I weigh once a week and measure my neck, arms, chest, waist, thighs, hips once a month.

Depending on your diet, you should be losing 0.5 - 2.0 lbs per week. Give it some time.

You’ll get where you’re going as long as you keep it up.