This might be a silly question but...

becoming_the_best_me
becoming_the_best_me Posts: 66 Member
edited June 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
Those of you who drink lots of water how do you deal with peeing all the time? Idk if it's just me but whenever I drink the recommended amount of water I am CONSTANTLY peeing. I'm a mom to a toddler and a student and don't have the time or the ability to be peeing every 10-20 minutes lol. How do you deal with this/what can I do?

Wanted to add my friend drinks way more water than I do and doesn't have to pee nearly as often as I do for some reason

Replies

• chris89topher
    chris89topher Posts: 389 Member
    Same here. I drink lots of flavored seltzer water all day, then have a humongous salad for dinner every night and go through the same thing. The daytime peeing multiple times is one thing but I also get up to pee 2 or 3 times in the middle of the night, lol.
  • becoming_the_best_me
    becoming_the_best_me Posts: 66 Member
    Same here. I drink lots of flavored seltzer water all day, then have a humongous salad for dinner every night and go through the same thing. The daytime peeing multiple times is one thing but I also get up to pee 2 or 3 times in the middle of the night, lol.

Same
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,473 Member
    It's annoying, isn't it! I've started to stop drinking 1-2 hours before bedtime, that helps with sleep. I had a four hour night class and wouldn't drink for a good hour before that one because break didn't always happen, she'd include break and let us out early. You can always take a quick break during, but I'm too embarrassed to interrupt lecture to do that, so I squirm instead. No other tips, just drink less when going to the bathroom is tough!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    Those of you who drink lots of water how do you deal with peeing all the time? Idk if it's just me but whenever I drink the recommended amount of water I am CONSTANTLY peeing. I'm a mom to a toddler and a student and don't have the time or the ability to be peeing every 10-20 minutes lol. How do you deal with this/what can I do?

Wanted to add my friend drinks way more water than I do and doesn't have to pee nearly as often as I do for some reason

How much are you drinking?
  • chris89topher
    chris89topher Posts: 389 Member

Same

Also I've noticed that seltzer water makes me go even more than coffee for some reason.
  • jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    Not sure if this makes a difference at all but for some reason I noticed that if I sip my water slowly throughout the day, as opposed to drinking a glass and then next hour drinking a glass, I pee at a more normal schedule. But it's still multiple times a day and that's a good thing. :)
  • blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    I drink between 4 and 5 litres of water a day plus 3-4 cups of tea/coffee. Sometimes I pee a lot, others not so much. i think you can train your bladder to hold more - my chemistry teacher at high school used to love telling those of us who asked for a toilet break that when we feel like our bladder is bursting, it can actually hold 30% more fluid without bursting :)
    I do drink less in the evening as I was fed up being woken in the night!!
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    I see it as active living ;) i get more steps in.

it is annoying when i am out and about. i've had to become on with public washroom. or work my liquid intake around outings and meetings so i am not in an awkward situation.
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    edited June 2019
    I think having to pee every 10-20 minutes is excessive. I drink 100+ oz a day and don't go that often. Try spacing out the drinking more if you're not. I can't really think of anything that would be anything to worry about medically if you're going that often, but I can't say i've ever known anyone who goes every 10 minutes and i'd agree that no one has time for that.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    I've learned to expect it. I drink a lot of water early, and it usually hits me a little after lunch, ramping down again around the time I leave for work so that I'm usually good by the time I'm home and ready to go run. There's usually about an hour period where I'm headed off to pee about every 15 minutes, but it doesn't last long and it's at the same time, so I've learned to work around it. Spacing out your consumption should help if it's bothering you.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Every 10-20 minutes sounds excessive. How much are you drinking. As wholefoods stated, drink to a point that gets you hydrated and helps you stay hydrated. More than that is generally unnecessary for daily life.
  • TheRealSlim_Shelly
    TheRealSlim_Shelly Posts: 66 Member
    I hear you mama. In a conversation with my doctor about something unrelated, he happened to mention to drink water slowly throughout the day (like sip on it), rather than down a glass all at once. He said sipping slowly throughout the day was better for hydration. He said downing a glass all at once will just go “right through you.” I don’t know if that’s accurate or not. I think he was generalizing. I just know when I drink a big glass of water in one shot, I’m more likely to get a “I HAVE TO GO RIGHT NOW” urge more frequently. Lol but it all feels like that after having a baby 🤷‍♀️😂😭. Just try sipping throughout the day and don’t focus so much on the number of oz.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,913 Member
    I have always been a big peer. I pee A LOT. In the morning in particular I will pee at least once every hour. Before I leave home to go to work I will pee maybe 2 -3 times. I can pee on demand.

Me peeing settles down once I eat my first lunch - then it seems to calm down and usually in the afternoon i'll only pee a couple of times.

I try not to drink water in the evening at all. I usually pee at least once a night, and if I drink water then it will be 2-3 times a night.

So sorry I don't have an answer for you!

If I need to NOT pee for any reason, such as I need to drive to my parent's place for example which is 4 hours away, I won't drink any water. Then I usually will only need to stop to pee once or twice.

• TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    You do know that drinking too much water is bad for you? It can dilute your sodium, causing low blood pressure which can then cause a heart attack. It can literally kill you.

What are you trying to achieve by drinking so much water?

I'm lucky if I drink one glass of water in a day, I get hydration from tea, diet sodas and food.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    TrishSeren wrote: »
    You do know that drinking too much water is bad for you? It can dilute your sodium, causing low blood pressure which can then cause a heart attack. It can literally kill you.

I'm lucky if I drink one glass of water in a day, I get hydration from tea, diet sodas and food.

I mean, yeah, water intoxication is a thing, but you really have to be trying to get there. You'd need to get over 20L in a day unless you're chugging, in which case you'd still need to drink about 3L in an hour to be at risk. No need to demonize water drinking.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/318619.php
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    grimendale wrote: »
    TrishSeren wrote: »

I mean, yeah, water intoxication is a thing, but you really have to be trying to get there. You'd need to get over 20L in a day unless you're chugging, in which case you'd still need to drink about 3L in an hour to be at risk. No need to demonize water drinking.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/318619.php

Perhaps there is very little concern about it creating a medical crisis unless you are just going nutso drinking it BUT being tied to a toilet does have disadvantages. If you ever pass up on an activity because you are uncomfortable being too far from a place to urinate it is having a negative impact on your life.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,970 Member
    I've always been a big water drinker. I don't drink anything else except the rare cup of tea. I pee normally.

Coffee is a diuretic. That on top of high water consumption will keep you running for the toilet.