Coffee creamer

Scareah
Scareah Posts: 40 Member
What can I do as an alternative to coffee creamer? I love it so much but I need to cut out the sugar. Is stevia a good, healthy alternative?

Replies

• SmithsonianEmpress
    SmithsonianEmpress Posts: 1,163 Member
    Milk, hwc, nondairy creamer
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    SmithsonianEmpress Posts: 1,163 Member
    Raw sugar
  • aprilzmobile
    aprilzmobile Posts: 3 Member
    use real half and half or heavy cream. people are leery of fats and whole milk products, but actually the fat and protein help keep your blood sugar from rising too quickly. a serving of half and half actually doesn't have as much calories or sugar as you would think. just make sure to measure out a serving.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,517 Member
    I use heavy cream in my coffee with no sweetener. It took a bit to get used to, but now I quite enjoy it.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited June 2019
    Heavy cream has 50 calories of fat with 1 net grab of carb in a 15 ml portion.

Another I use is half a scoop of whey isolate protein powder, vanilla creme flavor, with 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon.
    This is 70 calories of protein with 1 gram each for carb and fat. This is surprisingly delicious.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Sugar free creamer - selection tends to vary from store to store though.
  • Scareah
    Derpes wrote: »

I read that artificial sweeteners are bad?
  • Scareah
    use real half and half or heavy cream. people are leery of fats and whole milk products, but actually the fat and protein help keep your blood sugar from rising too quickly. a serving of half and half actually doesn't have as much calories or sugar as you would think. just make sure to measure out a serving.

Thabks for the tip! I think fats are good in moderation!
  • Scareah
    I use heavy cream in my coffee with no sweetener. It took a bit to get used to, but now I quite enjoy it.

I hope to be like that one day!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Unsweetened vanilla almond milk.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited June 2019
    Scareah wrote: »
    Derpes wrote: »

I read that artificial sweeteners are bad?

They are not bad. They are one of the most researched foods ever.

Aspartame causes me to have headaches if I have too much in one day, so I limit it. But that's it.
  • wannabesmaller2017
    wannabesmaller2017 Posts: 433 Member
    I use half a cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk plus 1 T of almond creamer. It’s 40 calories total. I’m slowly trying to wean from the almond creamer so I just use the almond milk. Then it would be just 15 calories and no sugar. Plus no artificial sweeteners.
  • squeaker87
    squeaker87 Posts: 82 Member
    I use caramel flavored premier protein shakes. Just half, a whole makes me nauseated.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    I use half & half, or heavy cream- a tiny bit of heavy cream goes a long way and as someone else mentioned, low-fat/fat-free dairy tends to have more sugar. If you're looking to replace sugar itself as a sweetener, Stevia is a popular alternative since it's plant-based. Personally I hate the bitter aftertaste of Stevia so I use monkfruit (in granulated form). It's more expensive but I find it worth it. I don't sweeten my coffee but I use it in plain yogurt (mixed with a little vanilla extract and berries), chia pudding, etc.
  • smoofinator
    smoofinator Posts: 635 Member
    Artificial sweeteners aren't bad. They're a great way to sweeten things without added calories, and they aren't unhealthy. I use sugar-free coffee creamer because it's less caloric than regular (and NOT because sugar is evil).
  • 50sforme
    50sforme Posts: 18 Member
    I use light cream and a flavored “skinny syrup”.
    I get the flavor & creaminess of the flavored creamers I used to use but with much less sugar.
    I work around these calories in my budget 😊. I NEED my coffee and I don’t enjoy it with a “thin” creamer like skim milk or almond milk.
  • Jkaccounting
    Jkaccounting Posts: 2 Member
    I have 1 cup of coffee every morning by 5:30-6:00. I use regular CoffeeMate Creamer ((2 tbls) and regular sugar also 2 tbls. The flavored creamers are too sweet for me. I’m still losing weight and I only use 50 calories for my coffee. You don’t have to give up something you enjoy or modify the way you make it. Just be smart and not go overboard with several cups a day loaded with sugar and flavored creamers. ☕️
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    I use 1/2 cup of 2% milk. I pour the milk into a mug, microwave for 1 minute, pour coffee in. I use a Kereug on a smaller cup setting. Almost a cappuccino!