Workout/Gym/Diet Rant thread

12346»

Replies

• rodmelching
    rodmelching Posts: 67 Member
    @sammidelvecchio . . thanks for the replay. Sorry you were made to feel extremely uncomfortable. Appreciate the suggestion.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    PennyP312 wrote: »
    Multiple people telling me I squat wrong cuz I low bar squat. Ugh...

Older lady (whom I’ve never talked to ever) literally touching my arms and hands as I did lat pull down to tell me I need to pull the bar all the way down to my thighs, and if I can’t, it’s too heavy (have never seen her correct a mans form ever!)

Older man telling me I need to lose at least 10 more lbs while pointing to my thighs.

Why bother me at the gym???? Please leave me alone to lift my weights.
    So annoying

Do you wear earbuds/headphones? I always wear mine, even if they're not turned on, so people won't try to interact with me.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    yayamom3 wrote: »

Older lady (whom I’ve never talked to ever) literally touching my arms and hands as I did lat pull down to tell me I need to pull the bar all the way down to my thighs, and if I can’t, it’s too heavy (have never seen her correct a mans form ever!)

Older man telling me I need to lose at least 10 more lbs while pointing to my thighs.

So annoying

Do you wear earbuds/headphones? I always wear mine, even if they're not turned on, so people won't try to interact with me.

I even bought over-the-head headphones, instead of wearing my earbuds, because I wanted to make it super obvious.
  • brittanystebbins95
    brittanystebbins95 Posts: 567 Member
    Today some guy really creeped me out at gym. When I got to gym I was doing my mobility work/warm up stuff and getting ready to do squats. A bunch of squat racks were empty, and this guy just stood around me, started walking back and forth in front and behind me multiple times, and it caught my attention because his hairy legs just kept going back and forth in front of me while I was in working on mobility and not really looking up. Then I looked up, and I see the guy was staring down right at me as he was walking away his face and eyes stays locked on to me while his body is walking away. I was like ".... OOOooookay... wtf?..." with my eyebrow raise.

About 7 minutes later, people started coming in, so I quickly went to get a power rack to start doing squats. In the mirror in front of me, I see the guy just standing like 15-20 feet behind me and just stares at my direction from behind. 3 warm up sets in, I put the barbell back on the hooks, the guy comes up to me and ask if he can set up and squat behind me, and I didn't really know how to answer him because I've had people ask to work in or spot them but never had anyone ask if they can set up and squat behind me, and with what he was doing earlier, it just weirded/creeped me out me out and it's like why now? You were here way before me, why didn't you squat before when all the squat racks were available? why is it when all the squat racks are being used now you have to ask to squat behind me and not other people? So then I just told him no, I don't feel comfortable doing that and he just left and came back later when the guy next to me left. Every time, I hold the barbell and get under it, he quickly stops doing his reps and just stands there and looks directly at me. The moment I was done with my set and put the barbell back to the hooks, he quickly acts like he's doing something and he kept doing it until I finished all my sets. It was weird AF and creeped me out.

Is your gym staffed? I would tell someone and have it addressed. That's super creepy.
  • brittanystebbins95
    brittanystebbins95 Posts: 567 Member
    Love this thread . . can I please add a rant or two?
    (1) texting or surfing your social media feed in the squat rack. C'mon man! We have two squat racks in the gym and there always in use. I respect / admire that your putting up serious weight and you need to resting between sets. I get that. But how much time, 15 minutes? There's one guy that camps out in the squat rack, gym bag, shoes and stuff all around. Maybe I'm overreacting. Don't get me wrong, if I ask if I can jump in and do a set, no one has turned me down or said no. I would much rather not interrupt someone during their gym time.
    (2) opposite sex in the gym, yes, I know that sounds weird. What is the proper way to interact with women in the gym when you need to share equipment and so on? Let me preface by saying that I’m a happily married man. In no way do I want to make any women feel uncomfortable. Maybe I’m hyper-sensitive? I love using the spin bikes at the gym, there in a small room with a projector and you can play videos with instructors which keep you motivated. Anyway . . . if there is a women using the room, I just avoid it altogether. One, I don’t want to interrupt someone workout and then I don’t want to be the creepy “hey, can I stare at you while I ride a spin bike?” guy at the gym.

Rant over . . thanks . . would welcome any suggestions.

I mean, unless I notice someone actually STARING at me, I assume that any man at the gym is there to work out, not to bother or pay attention to me.
    I'll have guys motion me to take out my headphones, and then ask if I care if they turn on the light, or if I'm done using a machine. I never think twice about it.
    Proper way to interact with women in the gym? Treat them like you would any acquaintance, male OR female.
  • 23CC23
    23CC23 Posts: 10 Member
    Soooo... any of you out there who’re still at the overweight stage who play sports? Like pick-up games?

I do. Cause frankly gym bores me. So rather than doing five gym days I do three and two days of pick-up games.

Anyone else do this? I notice that, even though I’m not a terrible player, I often get swapped out or won’t receive the ball/puck even when I’m in an open position. It’s like, yeah thanks for paying the drop-in fee, but don’t expect to actually play.

Makes me sad.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    I live in a rural area and work out at a small minimally-staffed 24/7 gym. My biggest peeve is people who leave their weightlifting plates strewn everywhere so you have to go search for a plate, leave benches pulled out into the middle of the floor and don’t even bother to take the 45 pound plates off the squat rack barbell. Life could be worse.
  • dlbohl1991
    dlbohl1991 Posts: 786 Member
    Younger kids who spend 1hour at the gym with 45 mins of that being a selfie montage. The guys that ego lift and eye ball you to see if you’re watching them/ how much weight they’re lifting. If you’re the last one out turn off the TVs and lights. Try not to stink up the bathroom when there’s only one(do that at home)! Last one. My wife is pregnant and I have a 2year old and a 9 year old and I am usually outvoted on most things when I propose something healthy so I’m left buying food for just me and them
  • BasedGawd412
    BasedGawd412 Posts: 346 Member
    yayamom3 wrote: »

So annoying

I even bought over-the-head headphones, instead of wearing my earbuds, because I wanted to make it super obvious.

😂

I wear overhead earphones for this sole reason and a couple people still take it as a invitation to talk to me. Super annoying.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    Pairs or groups of people who stroll obliviously around taking up the entire pavement while I'm getting my stride on.

Pedestrians in the city are just a notch higher than zombies when it comes to situational awareness. Everyone is absorbed with conversing or staring at their phones, staggering across the sidewalk or walking 4-5 across and forcing others to stop or do some awkward avoidance maneuver. Then they seem absolutely stunned when someone (me) runs past them after giving a courtesy "passing on the left". Given that I see quite a few other city runners at lunch, I think they should be more comfortable sharing the sidewalk at this point.
  • OkieGina
    OkieGina Posts: 126 Member
    Pairs or groups of people who stroll obliviously around taking up the entire pavement while I'm getting my stride on.

One of my friends freshman year of college (many, many years ago) was a very big girl - I don't mean fat, I mean she was probably a little over 6 feet tall, had broad shoulders, etc...anyway...she hated when people did this. And she was big enough that she just wouldn't move. She'd like the little "5 foot nothing, 100 lbs soaking wet" girls run right in to her. I LOVED walking around with her!

I tried adopting this - sometimes I can pull it off - but for me, it's more attitude than size. Attitude, plus sheer stubborness!
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member

I worked in Oxford (UK) for years. It drove me batty at lunchtime. These massive groups of people/kids standing around getting in my way. Very annoying when trying to run all your errands in 40 minutes.
    I strode around very assertively, did not slow down, would clearly say 'excuse me, coming through' in my best posh phone voice, while gently marshalling them out of the way. It mostly works.

It is attitude, you have to look like you mean it!