This is a gross question, sorry!

FL_Hiker
FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
edited June 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
This is probably TMI but I’ve got quite the embarsssing question lol. I’ve been iron deficient, having a lot of hair loss (thank god I had a lot to start with!) and diarrhea for the past few months. I went to my doctor, who treated the iron deficiency and told me the diarrhea is normal. He said since I’m a runner it’s not a big deal. The thing is I usually have it before my run every morning, to me it doesn’t feel like the running is causing it... but he said it’s not a reason to worry. I’ve literally not had a normal BM in months. I went and got a second opinion, doctor #2 brushed off the diarrhea every day as not an issue and was also more concerned about my iron defiency. We don’t know why my ferratin levels were so low, I am not vegetarian. My grandmother had colon cancer at a young age so maybe I’m a little paranoid but what do you guys think? Should I get yet another opinion or is this really not a big deal?

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    100% agree with the suggestion to see a GI doctor who comes highly recommended by others and is willing to listen. With family history, there's nothing wrong with getting a 3rd or 4th opinion for your own peace of mind and concern for your future self! I wish you the best.
  • sweetbe44
    sweetbe44 Posts: 195 Member
    You know your body and what is normal and not normal for you. Keep pushing.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Get yourself a gastroenterologist.
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    Definitely see someone else
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    I agree with what everyone else has said. You need a third opinion, this time likely with a gastroenterologist.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Echoing a GI. Those symptoms and lab results are how celiac can present.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    pinuplove wrote: »
    They need to test your stool for blood. Insist on it. BTDT very recently. It's easy (kind of gross for you getting the samples, but the test itself can be done and read in the office).

That’s probably a good idea. They kept asking if I saw any blood.... without going into details I don’t know how anyone could tell lol. I remember talking with you before too 🙂 thanks for your advice!
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    FL_Hiker wrote: »
    pinuplove wrote: »
    They need to test your stool for blood. Insist on it. BTDT very recently. It's easy (kind of gross for you getting the samples, but the test itself can be done and read in the office).

That’s probably a good idea. They kept asking if I saw any blood.... without going into details I don’t know how anyone could tell lol. I remember talking with you before too 🙂 thanks for your advice!

That's very surprising, and irresponsible of them to not test when it's so simple. GI bleeding isn't always visible. That's the first thing my doctor tested when my follow-up test showed no improvement in my iron levels after 5 months. Have you had yours rechecked yet?
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    This is the second thread in 24 hours with a doctor who didn't bother running simple tests. My new doctor drives me a little crazy with them but it gives me some peace of mind. By comparison my previous doctor ran his office like a patient mill and never wanted to do any tests or find anything wrong because that kept him from quickly moving to the next patient.

• Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    I'm glad you're going to get another opinion, OP! Healthcare in America is ridiculously expensive so it annoys me when I hear about stories like this where a doctor just says "Oh, diarrhea every day? No issue there! You're a runner after all!" What kind of nonsense is that? A loose stool every once in a while, sure, but diarrhea every day is not just "no big deal'. It's worse because you got a second opinion and pretty much got the same answer. I hope nothing is wrong but if something is wrong, it's seriously screwed up that you got brushed off not once, but twice. I know it shouldn't be a shock but it still is sometimes.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    GI. Not normal.
  • OHFlamingo
    OHFlamingo Posts: 239 Member
    Find a Gastroenterologist who will listen to you! I had a microscopic bleed that almost killed me. There are plenty of tests that can be done to find your problem and the resolution for it. I even swallowed a pill-sized camera! Best of luck. Let us know how you are doing. 💖
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Definitely see a gastroenterologist. In my case, anemia was a symptom of celiac disease. I wasn’t able to absorb the iron in my diet. As other people here have explained, there are other things that can cause it. A good gastro will help you pin down what’s going on. Best of luck:)
  • juliebroughton34
    juliebroughton34 Posts: 4 Member
    I think you should get another opinion even if you have to pay for it. Although just to put your mind at rest a little my husband had this problem when he ran a lot, our GP was a runner too, he said it’s the ‘runners trotts’ And is very common.