Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

The most polarizing food: where do you stand?

Replies

• ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,253 Member
    edited June 2019
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I couldn't remember the UK name, but that was my guess as well, that it was the same in Australia.

For fun:

Cilantro -- good
    Black salted licorice -- bad
    Mayo -- mostly bad but acceptable (ideally homemade and definitely never Miracle Whip) as part of a deviled egg, chicken salad, or something similar
    Vegemite -- never had
    Okra -- depends on preparation, excellent in gumbo
    Blue cheese -- good
    Anchovies -- good
    Oysters -- good
    bread/butter pickles -- are these the sweet ones?, I love most pickles but hate sweet pickles
    Curries -- depends on the curry, but good ones are very good
    and yes...'that' pineapple on pizza...no just no -- this is a perfectly acceptable pizza option

oh and white chocolate too...--don't see the point

Coriander (cilantro) -- delicious!
    Black salted licorice -- also delicious. Especially when covered in chocolate.
    Mayo -- tasty, but rarely worth the calories.
    Vegemite -- why would you do that when you could have proper Marmite? Mmmm, Marmite. Good vegetarian protein in that, too.
    Okra -- I don't think I've ever tasted it. Or seen it on sale. I should keep an eye out.
    Blue cheese -- yes please. Especially now that my little cat Cirrus is no longer with us, so there's a chance I might actually get to eat it all myself.
    Anchovies -- I suppose so, but I'd prefer olives.
    Oysters -- you know, I'm not sure I've ever eaten one? I suspect these are also on the 'OK I guess' list, though.
    bread/butter pickles -- yes to all kinds of pickle, from Branston (requires a side of cheese) to my father's balsamic and beetroot pickled eggs.
    Curries -- North Indian, South Indian, Thai - it's all good!
    and yes...'that' pineapple on pizza... -- yes please! Though ham is too wimpy a flavour to act as a foil. Feta with my pineapple, please.

oh and white chocolate too...-- again with the yes, mostly. Cadbury's white buttons no, because they don't really taste of anything and they don't even have that buttery chocolatey mouth feel.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    I couldn't remember the UK name, but that was my guess as well, that it was the same in Australia.

For fun:

Cilantro -- good
    Black salted licorice -- bad
    Mayo -- mostly bad but acceptable (ideally homemade and definitely never Miracle Whip) as part of a deviled egg, chicken salad, or something similar
    Vegemite -- never had
    Okra -- depends on preparation, excellent in gumbo
    Blue cheese -- good
    Anchovies -- good
    Oysters -- good
    bread/butter pickles -- are these the sweet ones?, I love most pickles but hate sweet pickles
    Curries -- depends on the curry, but good ones are very good
    and yes...'that' pineapple on pizza...no just no -- this is a perfectly acceptable pizza option

oh and white chocolate too...--don't see the point

Black salted licorice -- also delicious. Especially when covered in chocolate.Oh so true!
    Mayo -- tasty, but rarely worth the calories.
    Vegemite -- why would you do that when you could have proper Marmite? Mmmm, Marmite. Good vegetarian protein in that, too.
    Okra -- I don't think I've ever tasted it. Or seen it on sale. I should keep an eye out.
    Blue cheese -- yes please. Especially now that my little cat Cirrus is no longer with us, so there's a chance I might actually get to eat it all myself.
    Anchovies -- I suppose so, but I'd prefer olives. Olives should be on the list too!
    Oysters -- you know, I'm not sure I've ever eaten one? I suspect these are also on the 'OK I guess' list, though.
    bread/butter pickles -- yes to all kinds of pickle, from Branston (requires a side of cheese) to my father's balsamic and beetroot pickled eggs.
    Curries -- North Indian, South Indian, Thai - it's all good!
    and yes...'that' pineapple on pizza... -- yes please! Though ham is too wimpy a flavour to act as a foil. Feta with my pineapple, please.

oh and white chocolate too...-- again with the yes, mostly. Cadbury's white buttons no, because they don't really taste of anything and they don't even have that buttery chocolatey mouth feel.

• Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    I'm late to this party- but thought I would share my recent expirience with those cookies. I used to absolutely love them. I loved thier soft- cake like consistancy, and thier mild vanilla flavor. It had been a few years since I had one. And I came accross them at a baby shower one day. They were overly cloying and sweet, and somehow also bland and just completly "meh". I was dissapointed I wasted yum points on one actually. Guess I'll avoid them next time.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited June 2019
    Coriander (cilantro) -- Yep
    Black salted licorice -- never had it
    Mayo -- LOVE MAYO
    Vegemite -- Never had it
    Okra -- I've only ever eaten it fried and it was fine I guess.
    Blue cheese -- Absolutely horrendous. Please keep the bleu cheese away from me.
    Anchovies -- yuck.
    Oysters -- never had one and I don't want to because they look disgusting
    bread/butter pickles -- yuck
    Curries -- Sure
    and yes...'that' pineapple on pizza... -- Yep love pineapple and pizza why not. I just don't like ham on my pizza which is usually what accompanies the pineapple.
    White chocolate - yep! Around Christmas I make chocolate covered things, like pretzels. I like to do dark chocolate covered pretzels and then drizzle some white chocolate on top of that. So good.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Coriander (cilantro) -- I can take it or leave it.
    Black salted licorice -- Salted? Sounds interesting. LOVE black licorice in genral.
    Mayo -- Yes please! It is the condiment of choice on all things sandwichy. Miracle Whip is disgusting though.
    Vegemite -- I've never tried it. Never will- allergic to yeast extract.
    Okra -- Love it. Fried is good, and I feel like gumbo isn't the same without it.
    Blue cheese -- Never really liked it, but I am growing a tolerance to it. Perhaps my tastes are changing.
    Anchovies -- No thanks. Although anchovy paste can add a good flavor to a dish.
    Oysters -- They taste like snot and rubber bands had a baby. Hard pass. Even fresh high quality ones. Can't get past the gooey center.
    Curries -- Yes. I have yet to have a curry I don't like.
    Pineapple on Pizza -- Pineapple does have it's place among savory foods. Pizza is not it.
    White Chocolate -- I like it. But given the choice I always pick dark. Unless that white chocolate is covering Oeros.
  • nooboots
    nooboots Posts: 480 Member
    I havent read the whole thread but already I am utterly outraged.

Tomato sauce on eggs! Tomato sauce on macaroni cheese??? What is the world coming to.

Someone along the thread must have mentioned marmite, you either like marmite or you're wrong.

Also the fish finger sandwich debate. I have known people put brown sauce on it, that is revolting and disgusting. And probably illegal. Everyone knows its tomato sauce, or tartare if you're being fancy.

What about a bacon sarnie, tomato or brown sauce?
  • OooohToast
    OooohToast Posts: 257 Member
    I've found that Nutella is very polarizing.
    When I tell people I think it's gross, they treat me like some kind of freak of nature, and OMG, Nutella is the best thing ever invented.
    It tastes like frosting. I don't want frosting on my toast.

Nutella is out and out filthy and not in a good way.

And here in the UK, if its not crunchy, its not a biscuit. Yes Marlyland have tried to get us into the whole soft cookie thing but if we want something soft, we have cake.

If there is one food the UK is good for, its a biscuit/cookie. But I am biased :)
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    When I tell people I think it's gross, they treat me like some kind of freak of nature, and OMG, Nutella is the best thing ever invented.

What don’t you like about it? The texture? Too sweet? The taste?

I love nutella especially over warm pancakes.

• Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    nooboots wrote: »
    I havent read the whole thread but already I am utterly outraged.

Tomato sauce on eggs! Tomato sauce on macaroni cheese??? What is the world coming to.

Someone along the thread must have mentioned marmite, you either like marmite or you're wrong.

Also the fish finger sandwich debate. I have known people put brown sauce on it, that is revolting and disgusting. And probably illegal. Everyone knows its tomato sauce, or tartare if you're being fancy.

What about a bacon sarnie, tomato or brown sauce?

Madness - The bacon stands alone! Or with maple syrup whilst eating a nice stack of pancakes :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Coriander (cilantro) -- ick
    Black salted licorice -- yum
    Mayo -- greasy
    Vegemite -- acquired.
    Okra -- slimy
    Blue cheese -- stinky
    Anchovies --disguised leeches
    Oysters -- slimy
    bread/butter pickles -- yeah!
    Curries -- all of them!
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member

Nutella is just wrong. Dirt tastes better.
  • StatChicBayes
    StatChicBayes Posts: 346 Member
    Black salted licorice -- gag! (any licorice for that matter but love fennel (seeds and bulb) and tarragon.
    Mayo -- fantastic, especially garlic aioli! (up there with butter!)
    Vegemite -- never tried, but by reputation not likely
    Okra -- critical for gumbo, but wonderful sautéed in butter with fresh sweet corn, black eyed peas, and red peppers! (not at all slimy!) never have been a fan of fried okra especially with ketchup!
    Blue cheese -- all varieties! (try a bleu cheese cheese cake with honey!)
    Anchovies -- wonderful - on pizza and lots of pasta dishes
    Oysters -- Yes!!! raw, smoked, and on occasion fried in corn meal!
    bread/butter pickles -- yes to all kinds of pickles
    Curries -- all good!
    pineapple on pizza... in a former life yes with canadian bacon, but not now.

white chocolate - not a chocolate! give me dark chocolate!!! (the less sugar the better!)
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member

here's some other ones:

sardines - I love them
    mayo - I'm sure this has been listed somewhere on this thread - I find it totally icky!
    anchovies - I like them in sauces/pizza
    candy corn - so icky and gross!
    green bell peppers - ick!
  • Clarisse_McClellan
    Clarisse_McClellan Posts: 44 Member
    I hate them. Too sugary for me.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    glassyo wrote: »
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    glassyo wrote: »
    I always have ketchup on hot dogs! Or chicken dogs as the case may be these days. And I eat marshmallows almost every night. :(

The lofthouse cookies aren't worth the calories and the icing sucks so the one time I bought some, I just ended up eating around the outside edge of the cookies and threw the part with any icing away.

And scrambled eggs - ketchup is awesome. Maybe it would make the cookies in the OP a bit better too? :D

I've never had ketchup on eggs but had a friend who couldn't eat them any other way.

I put sugar free maple syrup on mine. :)

I put sugar free maple syrup on my grilled chicken and BBQ sauce on scrambled eggs... also love steamed brussels sprouts with ketchup... so there's that
  • pancakerunner
    COGypsy wrote: »
    shaf238 wrote: »
    What about...

pepperoni-pineapple-jalapeno-pizza.jpg

Needs ranch. And probably tabasco....but mostly ranch.

I never knew people ruined pizza by dipping it in ranch before MFP. Blows my mind!

Ranch on EVERYTHING
  • pancakerunner
    edited June 2019
    vanityy99 wrote: »

What don’t you like about it? The texture? Too sweet? The taste?

I love nutella especially over warm pancakes.

I don't think nutella is "bad" but I don't like that it's marketed as a healthy breakfast option. It literally is frosting with a few hazelnuts tossed in haha
  • Idontcareyoupick
    Idontcareyoupick Posts: 2,815 Member
    I sadly really enjoy those. They taste so fake but can't stop at just one
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,981 Member
    I think peanut butter is polarising on MFP - well, at least everyone else seems other pole to me.

I don't like the stuff and never eat it and don't even have any in my house.

Everyone else on MFP seems to think it is nectar of the gods. :o