Runners - How many days a week do you run?

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    I run 3-4 days a week only because I am too busy to run 5-6.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    3 days a week is plenty for starting off, especially with C25K which has you building up endurance. I ran 3 times a week until about 6 weeks ago when I started training for a 1/2, now I'm running 4 times a week. You body needs to rest, so stick with the 3 for now and when you can bump it up to 4, go for it.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    I run 6-7 day a week, but I've been doing it for quite a while now.

I like this advice for newbies:

1) run slower than you think you should
    2) run shorter (less distance) than you think you should
    3) run MORE days than you think you should

Bottom line, rest as needed. The world won't end if you run two days in a row. Give it a try, but be prepared to walk instead if it doesn't feel good.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    2x4-6 miles (T/Th) + 1x7-10 miles (sun)
    1x20-50 mile bike ride (sat)
    5x6 mile bike commute

I wish I could run more, but I do have a 3 year old.
  • savlyon
    savlyon Posts: 474 Member
    Crosstrain on the other two days. It makes running more enjoyable anyway! Don't forget to lift weights!!
  • aunt_hbomb
    aunt_hbomb Posts: 204
    I am doing C25K also and am running 2-3 days per week. I try to do some type of other activity on the "rest" days but don't always get it in.
  • Buffy2point0
    Buffy2point0 Posts: 31 Member
    I run 5 days (m-f) I take the weekend off. In my recent visit with a personal trainer, she said it was fine and just had me add some weight training 3x a week. The first week I broke a 2 month plateau. It could have been the adding protein and reducing the carbs too.
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    I run 3-4 times per week, with rest days sandwiched around my long run day. I run varying distances for each run with the shortest at least 4 miles, too. Recovery is a key part of training.
  • lcnelson
    lcnelson Posts: 279 Member
    I run at M, W, Th, and S. I run 6-7 miles on Mon and Wed. Th is usually just 4 and Sat is 5.
    The days off in between will great increase your mileage and 'fresh legs' on the days you do!
    Good Luck!
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    I run 4 days a week, sunday/Tues/Wed/Thur. Im training for a marathon, so I need to put in the miles

Sundays - long run 10-21 miles
    Monday - wgt training/plyos
    Tues - easy run
    Wed - Fartleks or Tempo
    Thurs - easy run
    Friday - wgt training
    Saturday - rest

ill be flip flopping my Wed fartleks or tempos to Tues or Thurs since ill start swimming on Wed in a few weeks.
  • KEShikes
    KEShikes Posts: 110
    I generally run 6 days a week, but I vary the length and intensity a lot - some days are really easy, some are quite hard. I never do two hard days back to back.

If you're new at it, though, you should go a little easier. Last summer I did the C25K to get back into running after a LONG break. I did it 4 days a week to start and found that quite manageable.

I would say that if your body is telling you it's ready to run more, then it is!
  • tigerbluefly
    tigerbluefly Posts: 257 Member
    I run 5 days a week but I'm following a training plan for a full marathon. Before that I only ran 3 days. When I first started running last year I ran 5 days right away because I felt great and then hurt my knee. I couldn't run for 2 months due to doing too much too soon.

3 days is perfect for you as your body gets used to it. The general rule is to increase your distance by no more than 10% a week, so do that with one of your runs or throw it in as a 4th run as you go, then eventually a 5th.
    It's about weekly mileage, not days, but I also found that my knees needed the break too sometimes.

Go by how you feel but you do not want to hurt yourself, trust me. Be patient and do it the right way.
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    I run about 32 miles a week on average. I usually will run 7 days a week. Per month I'll probably take 2 or 3 rest days, but I will cross train on those days. I also have light days of 2 miles..
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    When I first started running I was running 3x a week.
    I currently run 5 days a week, swim 5 days a week and cycle 3 days a week. Ironman California here I come!!
  • SmartFunGorgeous
    SmartFunGorgeous Posts: 699 Member
    Granted, I just finished week 6 of the C25K, so I'm the very definition of newbie, but I am sticking with the plan until I finish the program. At 270 pounds, I think my knees respect me more for limiting my running to 3x a week. :tongue: I run Mon, Wed, and Sat; I walk and do weight resistance training on Tues, Thurs, and Fri, and Sunday is complete rest. I've found that my best times are Monday and Saturday.

In case no one caught that, I weigh 270 pounds and just ran 25 minutes without stopping today! :smile:

Sorta proud. :blushing:
  • RunningAddict
    RunningAddict Posts: 548 Member
    5-6 days a week for me.
  • linnea213
    linnea213 Posts: 178 Member
    I usually run 4 miles, 4 days a week. Just ran my 1st 5k since my weight loss and training and finished in 33:45. I was happy with that number. Just picked up running again about 6 weeks ago. I'm 30lbs lighter than the last 5k...what a difference!
  • hockeymom180
    hockeymom180 Posts: 35 Member
    Every other day. I started the C25K program in July and run every other day. So some weeks it's four and some it's three. On my off days I do yoga or weights. I take a break one day a week and usually just walk or do some very gentle yoga that's really just a bunch of stretching.
  • hockeymom180
    hockeymom180 Posts: 35 Member
    Delete, dupe.
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    I'm on c25k, week 5. I plan on running 3x a week, walking leisurely on other days and do weights opposite the running. I've done 2 days in a row and felt great-even ran 2x in one day. Other times I'll have the rest day then go to run and it turns into a brisk walk instead. I usually let me body tell me when to run-I get this antsy, distracted 'go go go' sense on the days I do really well running, so I've been listening for that.

Funny thing is that I still don't -like- running, but I'm starting to love it, if that makes any sense.