Exercise in Maintenance

Hi ๐Ÿ™‹โ€โ™€๏ธ

I've just hit my goal weight (having gone from 208lb to 139lb) which will be the top end of my maintenance range. I am 5ft 6 Female.

Throughout weight loss I've been doing the 30 day shred work out (several times over) once a day, mainly because I have 3 young children and a full time job so I can fit in the 20 minute videos but I really don't think I'd be able to find much more time. Although I do make an effort to get out and about, run round after the kids, walk etc. I intend to work my calories up to maintenance level and carry on with these workouts but maybe drop to 4/5 times a week. Will this be enough exercise to make a difference? I want to be as fit as possible and I've read a lot on these boards about recomp but do I need to do a lot more to see benefits like that?

Hope that makes sense! I've found these boards massively helpful and inspiring through my weight loss so thanks all for that xx

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited June 2019
    Maintenance isn't much different to when we're losing, its all about the calories in /calories out - if what you currently do for exercise is all you have time for then thats not a problem, because maintaining weight is all about eating the same as we burn.

If you want to do a recomp that's still possible even with limited time to workout - there's plenty of folk here who will point you in the right direction. I have done recomps myself - my home is my gym and I have various weights I use but as I favour more cardio inspired work outs I always go back to that and just stick to 3 strength training sessions a week to keep the muscle I've gained. Using weights helps retain muscle mass and with bone density which is necessary for our bodies being strong especially as we age.

Well done on your weight loss :smile: . You'll still need to be aware of your calories in/out to maintain successfully. I think so many people get to goal and don't think about how to maintain and that it takes the same effort.

All the best.
  • 137JEC
    137JEC Posts: 4 Member
    Thanks for your reply! Yes I intend to continue to count calories, I have learnt the hard way that maintenance takes effort and accountability! I want to do it right this time
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited June 2019
    Congrats on your achievement. :flowerforyou:

" Will this be enough exercise to make a difference?"
    Doing less exercise might well maintain your current fitness/strength levels but isn't going to improve them.

"I want to be as fit as possible"
    Reducing your exercise doesn't match your goal.
    Define what kind of fitness you are aiming for? Endurance? Strength? Explosive power?
    (For example I'm training for a Century bicycle ride in August, my fit as possible goal is going to be very different to yours and therefore my training will need to be different.)
    Having 3 young children and a full time job is a huge restriction on your goal, you really need to make your limited exercise time as efficient as possible. Define your goal(s) much more precisely and your optimal exercise routine will then follow.

"I've read a lot on these boards about recomp"
    Does 30 day shred include progressively increasing the stress on your muscles to force adaptation?
    If it doesn't then there's no reason for muscle to grow.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    How many calories do you need to add to work up to maintenance? Really, it shouldnโ€™t be more than a couple hundred.
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    edited July 2019
    Have you taken a look at fitnessblender.com or sites like that? Lots of time efficient HIIT style stuff but with more variety than 30 day shred, which is probably going to become monotonous eventually.
  • pjwrt
    pjwrt Posts: 166 Member
    137JEC wrote: ยป
    Hi ๐Ÿ™‹โ€โ™€๏ธ

I've just hit my goal weight (having gone from 208lb to 139lb) which will be the top end of my maintenance range. I am 5ft 6 Female.

Throughout weight loss I've been doing the 30 day shred work out (several times over) once a day, mainly because I have 3 young children and a full time job so I can fit in the 20 minute videos but I really don't think I'd be able to find much more time. Although I do make an effort to get out and about, run round after the kids, walk etc. I intend to work my calories up to maintenance level and carry on with these workouts but maybe drop to 4/5 times a week. Will this be enough exercise to make a difference? I want to be as fit as possible and I've read a lot on these boards about recomp but do I need to do a lot more to see benefits like that?

Hope that makes sense! I've found these boards massively helpful and inspiring through my weight loss so thanks all for that xx

I weigh myself every morning to set my day's exercise routine and caloric intake.