Maintaining slightly above original goal

I’m wondering how many others have rebounded a little after switching to maintenance and then just decided to stay at the slightly higher weight.

My maintenance goal was a range of 150-155lb but when I got there I rebounded back up a little when I stopped eating at a deficit. I’m now maintaining pretty easily at 155-160lb. I’m not sure how much it really matters. The only part that bothers me is that 160 is 1lb outside my healthy BMI range.

Has anyone else here been in a similar situation? If so did you decide to work back to your original goal or just stay where you were and maintain a little higher?

Replies

• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    I'm getting there haha! I've been maintaining a couple years 133-135 and for the last month or two it's a couple of pounds above that. It's a bit frustrating intellectually but I'm making peace with it.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    I feel more comfortable being at the lower end of my 5-lb. maintenance range and maintain accordingly.
  • gvizzle74
    gvizzle74 Posts: 123 Member
    I actually hit my goal weight and then lost a few more pounds while i was trying to figure out my maintenance calories - that took longer than expected. Since i've started strength training i focus on measurements instead of weight.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    I go up 3-4 lbs and back down, hard to stay at my low end when you love to eat
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    I’m wondering how many others have rebounded a little after switching to maintenance and then just decided to stay at the slightly higher weight.

My maintenance goal was a range of 150-155lb but when I got there I rebounded back up a little when I stopped eating at a deficit. I’m now maintaining pretty easily at 155-160lb. I’m not sure how much it really matters. The only part that bothers me is that 160 is 1lb outside my healthy BMI range.

Has anyone else here been in a similar situation? If so did you decide to work back to your original goal or just stay where you were and maintain a little higher?

It's pretty normal for your weight to go up when you go into maintenance and consume more calories...for one, you are topping off glycogen stores...you're also going to likely have more inherent waste in your system from consuming more food. If you were low carb or lower carb and start consuming more carbs, this can be even more drastic given that you will hold onto more water with more carbs.

True @cwolfman13 . I personally have large water shifts because of my large weight loss. OP, nothing wrong with gaining some to make like more bearable! Trust me on that! :D
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Thank you all for responding. Last time around I maintained for 3yr at about 10lb lighter than I am now but I didn’t commute and had a more active job. I also didn’t lift then though too. I guess in the grand scheme of things I’m happy where I’m at and definitely stronger so I won’t stress on the number
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,214 Member
    MikePTY wrote: »
    apullum wrote: »
    Unless you have some medical reason why you really *must* be in your "optimal" BMI range at all times, then an occasional fluctuation of 1 pound above it probably does not matter. What matters more is where you are happy maintaining and able to maintain long term. I think it's better to maintain easily and happily at a slightly higher weight, rather than struggling to maintain at a lower weight.

Yes. BMI is a legitimate measurement, but it's also a general range. It's not as if when you cross that line into overweight you are magically unhealthy vs one pound under it you are magically healthy. The only difference between the two weights is psychological. If you are happy maintaining where you are, there is no need to us the BMI as a cut off line.

It may have bearing on health and/or life insurance. I don't really put much stock in it beyond that; I know I don't like my body composition at the higher end of "healthy" BMI so I generally stay a good bit below that.

To directly address the OP's question I've maintained above my original goal weight but have improved my body composition at that higher weight. I originally targeted 165 lbs, a weight which I'd hit and maintained fairly well as a young adult, and ultimately hit a low weight of 159 and maintained <170 for two years, then eventually creeping up to 170-175. From there I got into weight lifting and haven't dropped below 170 since.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    I think it's perfectly understandable to settle on a little higher than you originally thought!

I think finding the perfect "maintenance" weight is a balancing act - finding the weight where you are happy with how you look, you are healthy, and you can easily maintain the lifestyle required to stay there.

I went a little differently in that I got to my goal weight and determined that to look the way I'd imagined, I'd probably need to lose another 5-10 lbs. But I'm generally still happy with this weight and comfortable in the lifestyle that keeps me here, so I decided to hang out here for awhile. Maybe the mood will strike again someday and I'll go for the next 5 pounds :tongue:
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,776 Member
    SCoil123 wrote: »

Of course the answer is whatever YOU feel best at. But to me it's a slippery slope. First you change your range a little then you creep up and change it again. Before you know it you need to lose 20 again. if you don't have a history of regaining perhaps this is a good idea but only you can know the answer. In my opinion this is perhaps a pretty common way for us to fail at maintaining. But we are in it for the LONG term so if you hold this weight for a few months and are happy and feel good than it might be YOUR perfect range.

Just another viewpoint. It sounds like you are happy and stable where you are.

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    brenn24179 wrote: »
    I go up 3-4 lbs and back down, hard to stay at my low end when you love to eat

Same here
  • Audreyonfire
    Audreyonfire Posts: 15 Member
    I'm finding the same thing. I bounce up and down. I'm actually in a kind of pre-maintenance. I want to maintain my lowest weight until the end of the year. I'm about 20 pounds from where I ultimately want to be but I feel good where I am now so I'm in no hurry. I think for me, a lot of it has to do with water weight because I have to add salt and drink salty broth due to issues with leg cramps. Ugghh! Maintaining does seem harder than actually losing.