What things do you eat/drink that you dislike in the name of good health?

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Interesting. I don't really find that turnips need much help. I had them just 2 weeks ago and only mixed them with carrots and onions with a little oil and seasoning. I have a rotation of vegetables that I like to "feature" for a week or two and turnips are on the list.

Same, and this is pretty much what I like to do. Nice part of a roasted medley.

I also like them in some soups and some of them are good raw (although radishes and kohlrabi are generally better raw).
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Interesting. I don't really find that turnips need much help. I had them just 2 weeks ago and only mixed them with carrots and onions with a little oil and seasoning. I have a rotation of vegetables that I like to "feature" for a week or two and turnips are on the list.

Same, and this is pretty much what I like to do. Nice part of a roasted medley.

I also like them in some soups and some of them are good raw (although radishes and kohlrabi are generally better raw).

I find that if I use spiralized turnip noodles in a stir-fry with sweet and sour sauce, or roast them with some salt, pepper, olive oil, and thyme, they are amazing.
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    33gail33 wrote: »
    TrishSeren wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I'd distinguish this from rigidly refusing to eat things out of prejudice, which can be a thing. I do think it's good to experiment with new foods, and to give them a fair try . . . which can include trying them several times, prepared in different ways.

This and I will retry foods that I previously did not like on occasion to see if I like them now. I have liked, disliked, and then liked a few foods. Broccoli is one. I liked it okay in my 20's. I hated it for about 10 years to the point I didn't even like to smell it. Now some weeks I eat 2+ pounds of it.

Still waiting to like olives. I think it'll happen eventually. I used to hate hummus, pesto and tomatos, now I like them.

Try garlic stuffed olives. I mean everything is better with garlic ...

This is true.
  • MrsTitus2
    MrsTitus2 Posts: 61 Member
    Eggs, they're so boring but a good source of protein. I love eggs in a basket with honey or huevos rancheros , but plain eggs are my usual breakfast and they are boring alone.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    MrsTitus2 wrote: »
    Eggs, they're so boring but a good source of protein. I love eggs in a basket with honey or huevos rancheros , but plain eggs are my usual breakfast and they are boring alone.

Make frittatas with them. There are endless combinations of ways to make them interesting. Shoot, one time I scraped the toppings off of some leftover veg pizza into one.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,300 Member
    only one thing: I make turmeric paste. It's SO disgusting, yuck!! but I discovered it's ok if I mix it with my cashew milk. If I don't have it every day I'm in pain, other than that I don't really eat anything I don't like BUT I DO eat more greens than I have before, I like to sprinkle grated cheese & a little butter on, but before mfp, I wouldn't have even tried all the different kinds. Recently I started making green juice in my nutribullit so I mostly just drink it
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member

I am not overly keen on a plain egg either. I just grab an egg, add some chopped up vegetables (you could also add meat if you wanted) and whisk it with some turmeric, pepper and paprika. Whack it in the microwave for a minute and presto, a quick and tasty snack.
  • kyragoode6308
    kyragoode6308 Posts: 7 Member
    Almond milk. I get stomach issues when I have regular milk. Not all dairy products, just cow milk. No idea why. So, almond milk is the one substitute I can tolerate the most.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member

I hardboil eggs a lot, mainly for simplicity, and a couple of drops of a good hot sauce on top of the egg takes it from bland to tasty.
  • NovusDies
    MikePTY wrote: »

I hardboil eggs a lot, mainly for simplicity, and a couple of drops of a good hot sauce on top of the egg takes it from bland to tasty.

I don't like mine past medium.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    If you are finding tasteless eggs, see if you can grab some direct from a farm or someone's backyard chickens some time.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member

Try adding some chile or salsa.
  • NovusDies
    pinuplove wrote: »

Make frittatas with them. There are endless combinations of ways to make them interesting. Shoot, one time I scraped the toppings off of some leftover veg pizza into one.

Leftover pizza? That's almost sacrilege! Leftover pizza should be consumed for breakfast, as intended. Otherwise why would you get that nice box to keep it in?

I don't eat breakfast and pizza dries out if refrigerated in the box. Store your food correctly!
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member

If you have a Trader Joe's: https://www.traderjoes.com/digin/post/shakshuka-starter. You are "supposed" to poach the eggs in it, but I like to scramble the eggs and stir them in. (The Trader Joe's pepita salsa is also good on eggs.)

If you're a Penzey's fan: https://www.penzeys.com/online-catalog/fox-point-seasoning/c-24/p-393/pd-s. This stuff is amazing on most things, including eggs. Especially eggs with a little cheese.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member

Leftover pizza? That's almost sacrilege! Leftover pizza should be consumed for breakfast, as intended. Otherwise why would you get that nice box to keep it in?

I don't eat breakfast and pizza dries out if refrigerated in the box. Store your food correctly!

Maybe I like dried out pizza!

And I shouldn't have to remind you that the first meal you eat that breaks your fast and opens your eating window is breakfast :tongue: Get your terms correct if you're going to do it. Gosh.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member

Maybe I like dried out pizza!

And I shouldn't have to remind you that the first meal you eat that breaks your fast and opens your eating window is breakfast :tongue: Get your terms correct if you're going to do it. Gosh.

Not gonna lie, no sarcasm, I do love pizza when it's a bit dried out. I love a crust that is just a little bit chewy! Leftover Little Caesar's is the pizza that does it best. Or Jet's.
  • gvizzle74
    gvizzle74 Posts: 123 Member
    Nothing. There are enough tasty things i enjoy that are good for me so i don't have to eat anything i don't like.
  • NovusDies
    You two are pizza-ing wrong.

Also, I don't break my fasts I bend them and then they return to the same shape when I stop eating. My first meal is bendfast.