Garmin vivoactive 3, Fitbit versa, or Samsung active?

Wolfena
Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
I currently have a Garmin Forerunner 25...

I just think I need a new toy.

Mostly I am just a walker and I like the GPS and the distance tracker, I also like seeing how many steps I get in a day (even though I know that's not really accurate) on occasion I will go jogging or ride a bicycle...

My current watch doesn't have the wrist heart rate monitor, I do have this chest strap but I rarely use it, so I
would like to have the heart rate monitor right on the watch. I also like seeing my sleep patterns.

I'm well aware that all three of these watches probably have way more options that I will ever use on them or need, I was just looking at my daughter's Samsung active the other day and thought it was really cool!
The one thing about my current watch is that it's very masculine looking and I like the sleeker looks of the new ones and I also like the fact that you can buy straps that are a little fancier.

So who has one that they can recommend or tell me they didn't like?

Replies

• Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    I have a Garmin Vivosmart HR. I love it. I like that it reminds me to move when I've been still too long, and I like that its small enough I barely notice it. Having all those stats is really nice. The HR thing is not that good for constant use but it's been nice to see my numbers not shoot up so high when I exercise as I get more in shape.

That said, the HR monitor thing sticks out quite a lot and some people find it uncomfortable the way it pokes into the wrist. I don't mind it but something to consider. I think the Fitbit's more flush?
  • dlbohl1991
    dlbohl1991 Posts: 786 Member
    I have a garmin and I totally agree:)
  • Wolfena
    I hadn't thought about the prong things, thanks
  • AlmostRandomUserName
    AlmostRandomUserName Posts: 14 Member
    Had the Garmin and now have a Samsung, the Garmin is possibly the better fitness tracker but I've ded found the Samsung to be the better watch.
  • AlmostRandomUserName
    AlmostRandomUserName Posts: 14 Member
    Def not ded...
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    I like my Garmin Vivoactive 3. It's very sleek and watch-y looking, not one of those "commando looking" models, but it is a larger watch. I'm not a petitely feminine woman, so little delicate things tend to look a bit silly on me: I've long worn a fitness-type wristwatch, not a jewelry-like wristwatch. (I'm old enough to need a wristwatch, psychologically if nothing else. ;) ).

You can buy aftermarket straps for it, but I haven't much explored the styles. I quite like the simple black silicone band it came with.

The wrist-based HRM works fine for me, except for rowing (on-water or machine); there seems to be too much arm flexion, and the HRM will periodically lose contact and produce questionable results. I use an Ant+ chest belt with the watch for rowing, and that works great. Other than the rowing issue, I get HR profile results from activities that are quite similar to what I formerly got from my Polar HRM (not fitness tracker, simple HRM), and speed/distance results similar to what I used to get from my old Garmin Forerunner GPS device . . . but it's all nicely integrated, now.

I like that:
    * I don't need to have my phone with me in order for workouts to be recorded.
    * I can tell it what type of workout I'm doing, to get more interesting/useful workout stats tailored to that activity.
    * Data gets stored in the cloud once I get back within Bluetooth range of my phone. (That means it's safer from device hardware failures or loss, and I can access it from multiple devices.)

There is no poke-y prong thingie on the back of the watch for HR monitoring, just some lights. It feels not particularly different from my old wristwatch.

I don't love the charging port (special cord required; the cord that came with the device is hard to keep plugged in, but I've now got some aftermarket ones that - strangely enough - seem to snap in more securely). The sleep tracking is silly wrong (from what I've read, this tends to be true across brands, for anyone whose sleep profile is unusual). It tends to undercount flights of stairs (as does a different Garmin model a close friend has; don't know whether other brands have this issue). Other than the charger, this is stuff I don't care much about, frankly.

Oh, BTW: It charges quite quickly, and a charge will last 2-3 days for me, even with workouts in there. I usually put it on the charger when I shower, and that's normally enough to keep it charged up adequately all the time.
  • TravisJHunt
    TravisJHunt Posts: 533 Member
    I have the Vivoactive 3 because of the golf which is what I liked about it. Does the other things as well as any other watch I've had so I'm happy.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    When my FitBit dies I'm getting the Garmin Vivoactive 3. I guess it really depends on what you're looking for. The Garmin is going to be a more robust fitness/sport watch and a reasonably good smart watch. The Samsung is a great smart watch with reasonably good, if not more casual fitness/sport tracking. I don't know much about the Versa, but I'm kinda done with FitBit.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 38,511 Member
    I just got the fitbit versa....I absolutely love it ....I love that it is waterproof and tracks swimming along with other things :)
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,514 Member
    Garmin Vivoactive 3. It has far exceeded my expectations.
  • Ainadan
    Ainadan Posts: 158 Member
    I just got the Samsung watch, but I was going more for looks with workout tracking being second. I got the rose gold and I really like that mine looks like a girly, normal watch, but it can also track steps and workouts. It isn't as accurate as the others, but I'll actually wear it all the time, and what good is a fitbit if you don't wear it because you think it looks clunky?
  • Wolfena
    I bought the Garmin vivoactive 3 and I have had it for 3 days now. I like everything about it except that it seems to calculate excess calories for my daily steps
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Wolfena wrote: »
    I bought the Garmin vivoactive 3 and I have had it for 3 days now. I like everything about it except that it seems to calculate excess calories for my daily steps

Since calories is actually by distance and time (pace) and weight, it's not the steps but the distance.

Have you walked a known distance at mid-level daily pace, probably 2 mph, and confirmed it's correct?

You want it to be able to dynamically adjust down to grocery store shuffle, and up to exercise level paces - by setting the stride length for pace right in the middle.

And why do you think they are excess for daily steps?
    How much distance are you talking about?