Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Wondered Where People Get Some of These Ideas?

Replies

• Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    Appealing to vanity does wonders for the bottom line.

I used to buy Men's Health and one or two others back in the pre-internet days and they were pretty decent sources of information. I picked one up a couple of years ago just for something to read not screen based and it seemed every other page, or every page in some sections, had a fitness model with this hygiene product or that supplement. Very little in the way of actual fitness related information.

Last weekend my wife and I were cleaning out the basement and found a DVD my youngest had purchased a few years back. It had a slim, muscular woman on the front with that "You can look like this" tag. Heh - she's already strong and beautiful.

It's easy to see where the ideas come from. Women and men of all ages and body types, even mindsets are massively targeted, and it's working. Shareholders portfolios have never been healthier lol.

I would love to see a day when everyone interested suddenly realized their own intrinsic worth without feeling they have to look like this fitness model or that ripped and shredded person. Get that down and start from there. I imagine it would be very refreshing.

Doing so would require individuals to reject narcissism, greed, and envy. This would collapse the establishment in multiple industries.

Bring it on.

So true. Can you imagine the fallout? I'm not sure anyone would escape it. I consider myself a fairly well balanced yet older and funny looking dude, and I STILL struggle with vanity. :#

The human condition? Maybe, all we can do is try.
  • showjefb
    showjefb Posts: 109 Member
    Very interesting thread/topic!

The reality seems to be that as the fitness industry grows, so do people's waistline. I think most fitness people and probably some publishers are well intentioned. But so much of it is about generating revenue and having repeat customers (i.e. people that never lose weight or yo yo diet)
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    RAinWA wrote: »
    I want to know why men can lose their gut in 10 minutes a day but it takes women 15 minutes a day to blast their belly fat. :)

Jack said it best - reason and accountability.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    SueSueDio wrote: »
    RAinWA wrote: »
    I want to know why men can lose their gut in 10 minutes a day but it takes women 15 minutes a day to blast their belly fat. :)

To be fair, the women's cover does just say "in 15 minutes" and doesn't specify per day. So I just have to exercise once, for 15 minutes, and all my belly fat will be completely blasted, right? Right...? ;)

Or is it 15 minutes, 10 times a day?? We might never know. Quick, someone run out and buy the magazine! You know, for science.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    Terytha wrote: »
    Besides, everyone knows the best diet was printed in Vogue, circa 1970's.

6a4r48ixd0lp.jpg

I dunno about that.... that sure is a lot of coffee.
    3 cups? That just gets me out the door in the morning lol. Love the stuff...a little too much maybe.

yeah, my dear old mother's physician told her that she needs to cut down to just 2 cups of coffee a day.

I told my mom: " pffft.... no problem, just go out and buy two very, very large coffee mugs. "

That is literally the other part of my coffee problem :D My mug holds about a 3rd of a pot lol.

• bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member

3 cups? That just gets me out the door in the morning lol. Love the stuff...a little too much maybe.

yeah, my dear old mother's physician told her that she needs to cut down to just 2 cups of coffee a day.

I told my mom: " pffft.... no problem, just go out and buy two very, very large coffee mugs. "

Besides, I don't see where it limits the cups to 1 per meal; it just says black coffee. I'd think that make it the "free food" item on the list, so you're good! lol
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member

6a4r48ixd0lp.jpg

Caffeine :cry: