What nobody tells you about losing weight

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    kmalik5 wrote: »
    I feel like I agree with like 90% of the ones posted here, but I've got a couple more :smile:

- I feel WAY more comfortable saying I'm hungry. It's like I'm no longer the fat girl obviously asking for food, lol.

- My self-image fluctuates way more than my weight does. Some days I feel like I'm the new hot girl on the block and I'm proud, but others I feel like I haven't lost a single pound.

- I feel SO much more comfortable not looking my best. I used to have to look cute and have my hair/makeup done all the time, but now I'm confident in an old t-shirt. I think my mentality used to be, "since I'm fat, I have to prove that I actually do care about my appearance."

Man, you hit the nail on the head with these three. The one about being unashamed about being hungry especially. I was starting to get into "lazy" mod with my dress, but then I started having acne problems and it made me feel like I needed to be "made up" to feel comfortable again.

• kmalik5
    kmalik5 Posts: 44 Member
    edited June 2019

Man, you hit the nail on the head with these three. The one about being unashamed about being hungry especially. I was starting to get into "lazy" mod with my dress, but then I started having acne problems and it made me feel like I needed to be "made up" to feel comfortable again.

Honestly I hadn't even noticed I was being more vocal about food until my close friend (who is in shape and super proud of me for getting there) pointed out that I back her up more often when we suggest the group get food. She asked something like, "Have you gotten hungrier more with working out?" and I was like, "No, I can just ask for food now that I'm not the hungry fatty." and we had a good laugh :lol:
  • bobsburgersfan
    bobsburgersfan Posts: 6,274 Member
    I ran across this on reddit and it really resonated with me:

"No one sees thru your eyes, but here’s a thought. No one else will look at you and only see your arms. No one will only see your tummy. No one will only see your right ring finger, your foot or your calf. But that’s what you’re doing to yourself. You are not your parts - you’re the totality of all the odd bits that make up who you are. What you think is “wrong” is just uniquely you, and your loved ones already accept it because its who they see."
    This is so good!!! Thanks for sharing it.
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    kmalik5 wrote: »

- I feel SO much more comfortable not looking my best. I used to have to look cute and have my hair/makeup done all the time, but now I'm confident in an old t-shirt. I think my mentality used to be, "since I'm fat, I have to prove that I actually do care about my appearance."

I had a lot of hair loss and my hair came back curly, which is weird. High school me during the 80s would have loved curly hair, but today it’s not a thing! Just my luck.

That’s crazy! I too wanted curly hair in high school (my dad’s went from straight to curly inHS, so I held out hope but it never happened). Instead, my hair got wavy after baby3, then definitely curly after baby 4 (obviously pregnancy/postpartum hair loss, though accompanied by weight loss for me), so I get the adult you thinking, “really? I need to relearn hair now??”
  • IsETHome
    IsETHome Posts: 386 Member
    Shopping becomes so difficult. I’m used to grabbing bigger sizes because I always wore oversized clothes when I was larger. Now I can’t ever find clothes small enough. I’m ftm trans so I have a petite frame but wear mostly men’s clothes. I’ve only found one store than sells pants small enough for me. Shirts are usually fine but button ups always fit baggy. I’ve had to shop in the kids section a few times. It’s not the greatest

My husband is 5'10 and can rarely find clothes small enough for his ~30" waist (he is more likely to fit into a 28 than a 32). His favorite pants aren't even made in his size anymore. Everything at Costco the other day was clearly labeled as 32 and up, don't bother looking for smaller. I can't imagine what it is like for someone with his frame, but shorter!!

My thing for this week is that my belly is no longer big enough to support the laptop in my favorite position in bed.

Kohls has some good options online for sizes that are smaller or larger.
  • FibroHiker
    FibroHiker Posts: 347 Member
    wyattj99 wrote: »
    My boobs shrunk! How vain is it for me to brag I had to buy all new bras!..lol

It's not vain. I have the same problem. I go from 38 B to a 36 A each time I've lost a significant amount of weight. Recently I've had to buy new bras because I've gained weight. It's rough discovering that you will have to spend a large amount of money replacing all those bras.
  • Five0Six
    Five0Six Posts: 112 Member
    I ran across this on reddit and it really resonated with me:

"No one sees thru your eyes, but here’s a thought. No one else will look at you and only see your arms. No one will only see your tummy. No one will only see your right ring finger, your foot or your calf. But that’s what you’re doing to yourself. You are not your parts - you’re the totality of all the odd bits that make up who you are. What you think is “wrong” is just uniquely you, and your loved ones already accept it because its who they see."
    This is so good!!! Thanks for sharing it.

This is exceptionally relieving and also very true. I need to remember this. It's so easy for me to get focused on one part - and it's often a part of my body that no one but my boyfriend and doctors will see! The world is not judging me on my wrinkled skin or poofy belly. They can't even see that.

I'm the one judging me for it.

This is really fantastic advice.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Shopping becomes so difficult. I’m used to grabbing bigger sizes because I always wore oversized clothes when I was larger. Now I can’t ever find clothes small enough. I’m ftm trans so I have a petite frame but wear mostly men’s clothes. I’ve only found one store than sells pants small enough for me. Shirts are usually fine but button ups always fit baggy. I’ve had to shop in the kids section a few times. It’s not the greatest

My thing for this week is that my belly is no longer big enough to support the laptop in my favorite position in bed.

Maybe get one of those lap trays for bed. :)

two different kids: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Winsome-Elise-Bed-Tray-U-Leg-Wainscoting-Top-92223/301934189?cm_mmc=Shopping|G|Base|HDH|29-31_TABLETOP|NA|NA|71700000032321792|58700003837280073|92700037760873758&gclid=Cj0KCQjwgezoBRDNARIsAGzEfe6Sg3M9e86aWOKut0ixpGtXPtgdvnwnmHcQE7aICcu7mz81gKIOFTMaAp7uEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Stable-Lap-Table/39112712?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=1656&adid=22222222227026880476&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=56003972649&wl4=pla-88447715529&wl5=9026881&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=112550034&wl11=online&wl12=39112712&veh=sem&gclid=Cj0KCQjwgezoBRDNARIsAGzEfe4WO08R552yEhYTLefqlwBXr6vfRf4yoCPvJ2NX9FYYrlnGEDMexD4aAhMkEALw_wcB
  • bobsburgersfan
    bobsburgersfan Posts: 6,274 Member
    I've said this before on this thread, but will say it again. One day, YOU who are reading and getting inspiration and hope from reading this thread (and other threads on "Success Stories Thread"), YOU will be posting a success story too and/or victory at last post too. It took me almost 6.5-7 years to finally post a success story(ies). I'm cheering YOU who are reading this thread on that it won't take you as long as it took me (but maybe it will...maybe it will take you LONGER than it took me, but YOU WILL SUCCEED in reaching your goals for sure--in time), but that you will take your time and do it right and righteously (not giving in to "HURRY or gimmicks and stuff like I did for so many years)--I'm cheering you on that you will ALWAYS remember that haste makes waste and it took you some (perhaps a lot of ) time to get where you are and it's going to take some time for you to get down to size too and before you'll know it, as you take your ever loving time-- BOOM...you WILL be posting your success story here (or on some other thread on the Success Stories too)...I promise! Here's to your future success story(ies) o:)<3o:)
    Thank you for this.
  • bluesheeponahill
    bluesheeponahill Posts: 169 Member
    I've had to resize my ring. and I'm going to have to resize it again! I've already dropped two ring sizes, going to need to drop one more!
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    I've had to resize my ring. and I'm going to have to resize it again! I've already dropped two ring sizes, going to need to drop one more!

Wow!

That is why mine hasn't been resized yet. I think it's safe to resize it now, but I kept putting it off because I don't want to have it done multiple times (I already had to resize it larger once :frowning: )
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!