add mass to chest

I recently purchased a Hoist V4 total gym and have been enjoying the convenience of lifting at home, but I am wanting to add mass to my chest. Everything I have read states you need the ole fashion bench press to add mass. Is it possible to add mass from machine press, or am i just spinning my “pullies” so to speak? Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Bench press is just more optimal. You can add mass without utilizing a barbell/dumbell, you're just limited by the amount of average intensity as you gain strength. You can also add volume and frequency outside of the machine as well.

I'd probably try to tackle the limitations with tempo on the machine and myo reps pushups if forced to use it.
  • robthephotog
    robthephotog Posts: 81 Member
    Bench is relatively light on the chest. It helps, but barbells are way more effective. Next in line would be cable machines.

You end up, even with proper technique, utilizing triceps and delts alot with bench press.

Also, pushups are awesome for chest, change up from wide to standard for variety.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    The exercise you can handle the most weight will do the best job of adding mass so my vote is for the barbell bench press. Make sure your form is impeccable, work to keep your shoulders flexible and remember, for every push there should be a pull so make sure your curriculum includes pulls. I like barbell Pendlay rows or pull-ups.
  • giancarlov1191
    giancarlov1191 Posts: 493 Member
    Benching is a good compound movement and is quite often the first excercise you'd do on your chest day. That's what I do, and then supplement with incline/decline press/flys, and pushups too.
  • Buff_Man
    Buff_Man Posts: 622 Member
    Flys are good for isolating the pecs as they're a single joint movement so you can also do more volume. Look up Jeff Nippard on YouTube. Lots of good videos on best exercises for body parts
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,386 MFP Moderator
    edited June 2019
    Buff_Man wrote: »
    Flys are good for isolating the pecs as they're a single joint movement so you can also do more volume. Look up Jeff Nippard on YouTube. Lots of good videos on best exercises for body parts

Looking at most of Jeff's comments, the theme for chest is pretty consistent... The bench is the only chest exercise with direct correlations to chest size. Other moves are good as an accessory but if you want size, the bench is the most effective lift.

But i agree, Jeff has great content.

After bench, i prefer to do incline dumbbell and cable flies for my accessory lifts.
  • hasnainkhalidmsms
    hasnainkhalidmsms Posts: 2 Member
    From the first day of your gym you would be doing bench and other chest exercises so doing same exercises will do any eye popping change... At this time it's not about exercises it's about how you do.. The technique... Like lifting heavy but controlled and one thing more not that heavy that weight is transferred to other muscles... Lifting weight from elbow( if done with palms open its good for starter) and in negative stretch the chest n feeling the weight properly... That all the reasons which I noticed for the persons who find it difficult to gain chest mass....it's my point of view...
    I respect all the other comments and advices
  • Morningstar25
    Morningstar25 Posts: 50 Member
    What are the best foods to gain weight?
  • giancarlov1191

That's a loaded question! Without knowing anything about you, I would say look for lean proteins and complex carbs, and make sure you're eating enough every single day.
  • Morningstar25
    Morningstar25 Posts: 50 Member
    Thanks. Eggs and pasta?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,386 MFP Moderator
    Thanks. Eggs and pasta?

All foods should be considered. Obviously, concentrating on whole foods and protein is beneficial, but no one food will help you gain. That comes down to calories.
  • giancarlov1191
    Thanks. Eggs and pasta?

Eggs and pasta are good!
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member

high quantities of foods! all the foods.

and what @psuLemon said.

On the very odd occasion that I am full already from eating whole foods but need to make up calories at the end of the day, you can see me with the box of cheerios eating purely to make up calories. easier to eat "crap" than it is to eat whole foods sometimes. For me anyway.

Stuff like pasta and rice will fill me up. Cheerios won't. So I can eat more. HOWEVER - wholesome "good" foods come first.
  • Ro_4R
    Ro_4R Posts: 100 Member
    I try to change my workout each 4 to 6 weeks. But working with dumbbells is always part of my workout. Exercises and lifting with a barbell as well but to make my chest work/ pump even better I want them to work even more separately, thus with dumbbells.
    But I agree, food is just as important! I do opt for a clean bulk based on healthy stuff. This is what I am doing and it works for me. And because I am consuming mostly healthy stuff I gives me an even better feeling.
  • shaun739
    shaun739 Posts: 16 Member
    That 100% wrong. I have not been able to bend press In years due to shoulder injury. I strictly use dumbbells and cables, and I have an impressive chest. Building mass is about the pump(hypertrophy). Work with what you have to achieve a maximum pump. That one that wont allow you to touch your shoulders with opposing arms.
  • TallGent66
    TallGent66 Posts: 84 Member

Loaded question w/out enough facts. When in high school I was tall and likely burning 4,000 - 6,000 CPD. Swimming, basketball, walking every day. Skin and bones.

Extremely tough to put weight on. I ate 3 large bread sandwiches a day at school. At least one may have been peanut butter and butter on the large wheat bread slices. At home, before and after dinner, I would have wheat bread with PB, or PB and butter.

A Somoan neighbor ate 3-4 avocados a day!, my brother used Tiger's Milk.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    bmajercik wrote: »
    I recently purchased a Hoist V4 total gym and have been enjoying the convenience of lifting at home, but I am wanting to add mass to my chest. Everything I have read states you need the ole fashion bench press to add mass. Is it possible to add mass from machine press, or am i just spinning my “pullies” so to speak? Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

When I was a 20# weakling, I got fat (160 to 200) and started heavy weight lifting - mostly upper body because I didn't know any better then. Then I lost 40# back down to 160 and, like magic, I had pecs. Still have them now.

There was no "plan." As far as I'm concerned, it just happened by accident but, if you analyze it, the weight I gained wasn't just fat but included muscle growth induced by lifting, which remained after I burned off the fat.

I was a bulk/cut program that worked out despite my ignorance but should be an example of what/how you can do it yourself. Lots of info on the Net about it. Read up on it.