Protein powder?

Options
I've always been fascinated by protein powder but don't understand what or why I need it. Recently I brought a cook book and some recipes use protein powder in them. If someone could help explain when or why I need it in my diet if I even need it in my diet, it would be most appreciated
Thanks

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    You may not need it. Protein powder is a supplement. It is also used as a meal replacement. I keep some on hand but I rarely need it.

If you are logging and last week was a fairly normal eating week for you take a glance at your daily protein. Are you consistently near the goal, above it, or below it?
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Yup.... dont need um. I like to EAT my protein.
  • gottswald
    gottswald Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    You don't need protein supplements themselves, but they're useful for making sure you have an adequate supply of protein for muscle maintenance. There are a bunch of peer-reviewed studies about the effects of taking protein around exercise, throughout the day, before bed, etc. I haven't seen any that say a particular source of protein is better than others in terms of quality of protein (food vs supplement). However, with protein powders you can control the rate you metabolize it. Whey (fast) around workouts and casein (super slow) at bed time while your body recovers.

I've noticed people putting it in all sorts of things and eat a few products with whey added, but I try and space out my protein throughout the day with food being primary source. It's all just about response to needs and adjusting macros within calories (protein for volume/calorie ratio).
  • NovusDies
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    Yup.... dont need um. I like to EAT my protein.

That is my preference too. Even on days I decide to go meatless I can hit my target range pretty easily. I keep it handy if there is a length of time I am forced out of my routine or if I am feeling especially lazy one day.
  • rebeccaj822
    rebeccaj822 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I never thought I would use these protein drinks and supplements. Had to be convinced by my doctor to try them because I’m a soy and milk allergic vegetarian. I just could not get enough protein by eating stuff unless I wanted to eat beans all day (ick). The protein supplements have made a huge difference for me. I use pea protein based supplements and they are pretty tasteless. I add them to recipes, smoothies, and use them to change the macro counts in my cooking.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    When you're eating at a significantly low calorie level per day (1200-1500) it is crucial to keep your protein level up to avoid muscle loss. It is also often hard to find foods on a regular basis that pack the amount of protein needed without loading up on carbs and/or fats, thus pushing you over your caloric limit. Protein powders generally have a very high protein to carb/fat ratio, which can assist in hitting your protein goal for the day while staying within your caloric limit.

It is also very convenient; stores well, easily portable, and can be made/consumed using only water.

^^This is why I have a protein shake or bar most days. I’m in a deficit and eating only 1300 (I’m older and sedentary). I want to take in enough protein to preserve muscle while I’m losing but getting it all feom food would require too many calories, unless every meal was almost entirely made up of fish or chicken.

• HereToLose50
    HereToLose50 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I've found I almost never need it and I have a well rounded diet with a lot of different foods. Protein is in so many things and I am almost always over my numbers while staying in calorie range. I don't eat much heavily processed food and I think that could be why it's easier for me.

Most of the time protein powder would be just something to take up extra calories. I get a lot more full and stay full with protein foods instead.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    I've found I almost never need it and I have a well rounded diet with a lot of different foods. Protein is in so many things and I am almost always over my numbers while staying in calorie range. I don't eat much heavily processed food and I think that could be why it's easier for me.

Most of the time protein powder would be just something to take up extra calories. I get a lot more full and stay full with protein foods instead.

I ate "heavily processed" food on Thurs and my protein was through the roof.

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I've always been fascinated by protein powder but don't understand what or why I need it. Recently I brought a cook book and some recipes use protein powder in them. If someone could help explain when or why I need it in my diet if I even need it in my diet, it would be most appreciated
    Thanks

Protein powder is a supplement, something you can take if you aren't getting enough protein. It can be a good way to get a big shot of protein for a relatively low number of calories. If you are eating enough protein, you don't need it.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    A shrimp cocktail with only srirachi or pepper sauce will provide about 1/2 of a person's daily protein needs.
  • gottswald
    gottswald Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    What is the OPs protein goals?
  • djtylermatson
    djtylermatson Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I do a scoop of unflavored whey protein in the morning, blended, with a banana and milk. It is important for building muscle because the amino acids help repair muscle tissue. If you're not lifting of doing strength training, I wouldn't bother with it.
  • djtylermatson
    djtylermatson Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I also wanted to add that you need to engage your muscles to preserve them. Just eating or supplementing protein isn't enough. Blood needs to flow into the tissue or else it will atrophy.