The Nerd & Geek Thread

Replies

• ReachForTheSky1
    ReachForTheSky1 Posts: 1 Member
    edited June 2019
    Heyooo where my anime people at!!! Whoop whoop whoop. Even though I haven't watched one in like a year. I have the time, I just get pickier and pickier the older I get.
    I've been watching this old puppets show called The Fraggles. And Steven Universe.
  • Reckoner67
    Reckoner67 Posts: 3,344 Member
    I will run a RPG using roll20.net for MFP people and it will be called

"I put on my wizard hat and robe"

I'll do this...someday
  • mamakatiekat
    mamakatiekat Posts: 73 Member
    ud0oojw3my2j.jpg
    Here's my newest manga haul. I'm also gonna tart my first D&D campaign next month. I'm stoked for it
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    y7p5tw4mjgez.png
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    28c1n78m74fw.jpg
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,982 Member
    I found these online years ago, and still get a chuckle each time I look at them :) course, I'm probably really dating myself with these as you'd have to know something about 90/early 2000's pop culture to get them lol

5nvpas5gswbu.jpg

uumr1oqaet99.jpg

And this one is my favorite!

h8nhwemj8eyf.jpg

• JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    edited June 2019
    So, what MMORPGs are everyone playing? A few weeks ago I just started playing WoW for the first time ever, which actually surprises my friends because they all assumed I'd been playing since launch day (it is exactly the sort of game I would play). I hadn't because in the past I generally avoided subscription-based games. The free trial was fun enough that I got a one month subscription, I'll see how that goes and decide if I want to spring for BfA.

I'm open to suggestions. I think I'll try the demo for FF XIV, any other games worth checking out? FWIW, I have Path of Exile, but haven't played that in a long time.
  • bmeadows380
    the only one I play is LOTRO (lord of the rings online).

I was in Best Buy back in the winter and was talking computers with one of the employees and mentioned I played that, and he looks at me and says "that game is actually still online?" *sigh*

I find that I can't play most of the newer MMORPGs because I get motion sickness from the controller style these days--the mouse controls the camera in a lot of these games and you can't seem to lock the camera from one angle or zoom out far enough for me to be able to handle them. It only takes a few minutes to hit me, too :( At least with LOTRO, I have the old school style where you point on the skill you want to use and the camera stays fixed where you put it, unless you turn lock on target on. But that game has its areas I can't play for long either, especially in the dense forest regions or windy dungeon areas (hence why I still have never completed Mines of Moria, despite having bought that expansion years ago.......)

I tried Arch Age when it came out and while I liked the game mechanics, I hated the game play and rules.
  • Grimmerdhore
    Grimmerdhore Posts: 63 Member
    I ran across this in one of my Facebook groups for programmers. I still think it's hilarious!

b43sed6c8ayp.png
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member

I was in Best Buy back in the winter and was talking computers with one of the employees and mentioned I played that, and he looks at me and says "that game is actually still online?" *sigh*

I find that I can't play most of the newer MMORPGs because I get motion sickness from the controller style these days--the mouse controls the camera in a lot of these games and you can't seem to lock the camera from one angle or zoom out far enough for me to be able to handle them. It only takes a few minutes to hit me, too :( At least with LOTRO, I have the old school style where you point on the skill you want to use and the camera stays fixed where you put it, unless you turn lock on target on. But that game has its areas I can't play for long either, especially in the dense forest regions or windy dungeon areas (hence why I still have never completed Mines of Moria, despite having bought that expansion years ago.......)

I tried Arch Age when it came out and while I liked the game mechanics, I hated the game play and rules.

Speaking of motion sickness, I'm not one to generally be bothered by it in video games. But I recently got an Oculus Rift S (on launch day, in fact), and the one game I have issues with is the race car driving game "Assetto Corsa". It isn't nausea, more like dizziness or disorientation. I'm pretty sure it's because visually I see that I'm sitting in a car and driving, but my inner ear can feel I'm really sitting still. The worst is when I'm in a corner so the car is rotating, and I turn my head at the same time. Then I get the feeling that I'm tipping over on to my side!

The space flight sim "Elite: Dangerous" (which is spectacular in VR, BTW) doesn't give me the same sensation. I think because you don't have the same up-close visual motion cues like you do in a car on the road.
  • j_bark
    j_bark Posts: 1,269 Member

LOTRO it is. Its aged. But its still fun and the story is there. Grindy at times, I don't mind much.
  • bmeadows380
    j_bark wrote: »

LOTRO it is. Its aged. But its still fun and the story is there. Grindy at times, I don't mind much.

It does have its grindy moments for sure, and I hear it can be worse down in Gondor (because sadly, I've been playing the game for 8 years and still haven't gotten to the end game content lol) but I still love the scenery and the story for the most part, the other players who are actually helpful usually. Nice thing about an older game is that you don't tend to have all the troll-types playing there.

• mattig89ch
    mattig89ch Posts: 2,648 Member
    I'm playing divinity original sin for the first time. That's proving to be a fun experience. Though challenging too. I'm in the second area, and finding almost all the fights are ,4-10 levels higher then my party is. Maybe I'm just wandering into the wrong area's, but I've had my party 1shoted, and two shoted a few times now.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    I'm trying to decide which to cosplay for Neko Con...the nurse from pokemon...alice from pumpkin scissors...or elfriede from moon phase????

Anyone have any favorites???