Foods you haven’t eaten in your current weight loss journey

Replies

• whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Cheese and alcohol. I have had only small quantities of both since late Feb. alcohol more for health reasons, and cheese because it’s one of my trigger foods. I’ve eaten both on special occasions, though. And I plan to eat a LOT of cheese and drink my share of wine when I go to France later this year.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    edited July 2019
    After a year injury (buldging herniated disc pinching a nerve) and being bed ridden, I'd put on weight. I gave up almost all forms of corn and soy (except fermented soy) and almost all fast-food joints (excluding rare visits to Panera, Chipotle, Salad&Go, or In&Out), dropped 75 lbs fairly quickly. It's been about 10 years without these.

Fast forward, gained weight from another injury combined with an illness. After week of unleavened bread (religious observation: week of eating mostly meats and veggies) I realized starchy carbs and breads make me bloat. So, have given up all baked goods and starches for about 4 weeks now. Feeling better than ever!

• slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    snuff15ee wrote: »
    Chocolate.. :( I truly believe everything in moderation but it is my kryptonite and I cannot eat just a couple of pieces. Usually I go 6 months chocolate free then have a block.. :# I enjoy it guilt free then go another 6 months.. maybe one day I'll learn to handle that sweet, creamy deliciousness better.. 🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫

I eat 2-3 squares of dark chocolate every night and still managed to lose 36 pounds, but it has to be the 86% or higher stuff. My fav is the Alter Eco dark chocolate. I recently purchase 30 bars that hopefully last me 2-3 months.

2-3 squares.. that's just a teaser lol 😁

I did lose 21kg at the beginning of my journey here and I've been on maintenance almost 4 years...I eat all the other things I like in moderation, chips, burgers, cake etc.. but chocolate I don't have control with..dark chocolate is ok but my favourite is just good old Cadbury dairy milk.
  • RovP6
    RovP6 Posts: 108 Member
    Biggest reduction for me in the last 3 or so years since I started this journey is alcohol. I used to regularly drink a few pints and maybe a bottle of wine every week. Now I hardly touch the stuff. mainly because I'm more aware of what happens when alcohol enters your body and what it stops your body doing while its detoxing to get rid of it. Other than that, I haven't stopped eating anything that I enjoy. I go in and out of certain food groups, like nuts etc depending on what my macros are set at for a particular period of the year. After that I take everything in moderation and if I feel like having something I just plan ahead and make sure it fits into my calories for the day. That gives me something to look forward to rather than spontaneously picking something up because I fancy it.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Chocolate.. :( I truly believe everything in moderation but it is my kryptonite and I cannot eat just a couple of pieces. Usually I go 6 months chocolate free then have a block.. :# I enjoy it guilt free then go another 6 months.. maybe one day I'll learn to handle that sweet, creamy deliciousness better.. 🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫

I eat 2-3 squares of dark chocolate every night and still managed to lose 36 pounds, but it has to be the 86% or higher stuff. My fav is the Alter Eco dark chocolate. I recently purchase 30 bars that hopefully last me 2-3 months.

I did lose 21kg at the beginning of my journey here and I've been on maintenance almost 4 years...I eat all the other things I like in moderation, chips, burgers, cake etc.. but chocolate I don't have control with..dark chocolate is ok but my favourite is just good old Cadbury dairy milk.

You've got to try baker's chocolate Jo (pure cacao...for chocolate purists); it's a somewhat bitter rich taste. I for the life of me can not bring myself to eat chocolate anymore in any quantity mainly because the wicked headaches are not worth it (opportunity costs too; I'd rather spend my kcals on other high fat foods I can tolerate much better)
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member

You've got to try baker's chocolate Jo (pure cacao...for chocolate purists); it's a somewhat bitter rich taste. I for the life of me can not bring myself to eat chocolate anymore in any quantity mainly because the wicked headaches are not worth it (opportunity costs too; I'd rather spend my kcals on other high fat foods I can tolerate much better)

Hmm, I'll give it a try, but if it's bitter I'm probably not going to like it. I love the creaminess of Cadburys.. and it's only Cadburys I crave not Lindt or Nestle..
    My mum can't eat chocolate because it brings on headaches too.
  • litoria
    litoria Posts: 239 Member
    Anything that involves a drive-thru. I go really wild when there's no accountability :-)
  • purple4sure05
    purple4sure05 Posts: 287 Member
    In the three months I lost weight I didnt eat any bread at all. I would have, but it didnt really fit into my calories. Used to eat it a lot, but I didnt crave it at all.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,967 Member
    Ummm ... yak's milk? Not that I wouldn't, but it's not commonly available in my neck of the woods or anywhere I've traveled in the past 2,146 days, I think. Pretty sure I haven't had any ostrich or emu. Not sure where to source that either.

Emu meat is fairly easy to find in Australia - not a staple on anyone's diet but there are certainly restaraunts that serve it.

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,967 Member
    Things I havent eaten on my weight loss/maitenance journey

watermelon
    peanut butter
    caviar
    black pudding
    milk of any sort other than dairy cow
    tripe
    liver
    brains
    jalepenos

Mind you, I didnt eat these things for a decade or more before trying to lose weight either ;)

Silliness aside, nothing.
    meaning there is nothing I havent eaten since starting to lose weight compared to before - less often, yes, smaller portions, yes - but nothing that I havent eaten at all.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    I don't think there's a single food that I actually enjoy eating that I haven't had during my weight loss. Sure, I eat certain food less frequently than I used to. But pizza, burgers, bagels, cake, sweets, etc have all been part of the menu. I have not found the need to deny myself anything.
  • wifeoferp
    wifeoferp Posts: 86 Member
    My husband’s homemade brown butter chocolate chip cookies. They are so good and I couldn’t eat just one or two. So even though I’m doing IIFYM and could fit one in, I don’t even indulge.
  • nixonjk
    nixonjk Posts: 3 Member
    I’ve given up soda completely and that’s about it. Slowly allowing myself to eat other things in moderation so I haven’t really “given” anything else up. Sweets are the most difficult thing for me... if I make brownies then I just eat one and give the rest away to keep me from eating the whole pan. 😬 I’d like to keep up my current diet for life so I’d rather not restrict myself on food that I really enjoy. As long as I’m not bingeing and have balance then my weight drops!
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,526 Member
    I've had just about everything that I used to have, just less often and less amounts, or lower calorie versions. Pasta is the one thing I haven't had at all. Good pizza (sorry Rev 450 calorie Margherita pizza, you'll satisfy a craving but don't equal the good stuff). I've only had nuts once, when stuck on a mountain road from an accident and was in a car for 11 hours, it was all we had to eat. I love nuts too much to just eat one serving!
  • smoofinator
    smoofinator Posts: 635 Member
    Starburst, oddly enough. I would buy the "all reds" bag, which contained strawberry, cherry, watermelon, and passion fruit I think. I'd eat the entire bag in one day. I'm surprised I still have all my fillings.
  • bosque1234
    bosque1234 Posts: 60 Member
    Wow, got me thinking. Peanut butter, cake, sweets of all kinds. McDonald's/Wendy's/Sonic drive thru crap. Lean Cuisines. (I used to eat them but am making my meals now.) Dominoes Pizza. Bread for the most part. I don't like and will never eat liver, beets, etc. Weird food will always be weird, even when trying to get healthy. Mexican food--agree with other poster, plus I live in New Mexico! Land of tamales, enchiladas, tacos, sopapillas, chips, margaritas, flan... :'(
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    - Doughnuts (haven't had one in 5 years), because I decided I don't like them enough to be worth the calories.
    - Sugary sodas (6 years), because I like diet sodas just the same so there is no reason to drink more calories.
    - Peanut butter (anywhere between 3 months and 2 years between), I like it, but for some reason when I consider how I want to spend my calories, something else usually wins.
    - Steak and chunk beef (5 years), because I decided I'm done trying to like them and there is no point in spending my calories on things I don't like.
    - Alcohol (once or twice every year or two), because I don't care much for the taste and I don't like the feeling of altered mental state.
    - Nuts that aren't mixed into something (2-3 times a year) because reasonable portions of them cause more mental discomfort than not having them. I need to put away more than 1000 calories of nuts to be happy.
    - Eggs (no more than 2-3 eggs a week with stretches of abstinence) because I don't tolerate them well unless they're in baked goods.
    - Cauliflower pizza/rice, zucchini noodles made to mimic a pasta dish, and some other diet alternatives, because they aren't mentally satisfying and leave me wanting the real thing even more.
    - Sweet potatoes and sweet squashes, because vegetables aren't supposed to taste sweet. Makes me shudder.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Haven't had a soda or any sugar added drink for over 2 yrs.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    MikePTY wrote: »
    I don't think there's a single food that I actually enjoy eating that I haven't had during my weight loss. Sure, I eat certain food less frequently than I used to. But pizza, burgers, bagels, cake, sweets, etc have all been part of the menu. I have not found the need to deny myself anything.

Same for me. Using a weekly goal, I can find ways to fit in anything. Just not anything at any time.
  • PWRLFTR1
    PWRLFTR1 Posts: 324 Member
    I eat all the foods...just in moderation.