Starting runners:lets motivate each others

Replies

• grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    kilobykilo wrote: »
    @yirara thanks for the support! Not sure I can not look at the time, but would love to employ that method!

For those of you running / who have run longer intervals, what do you do to stop getting bored? Think I focused too much on the time last run because I was bored and wanted it over so I could get on with me day.....

I have a Spotify playlist full of songs I love with driving beats that helps, but honestly, I love the longer runs. When I get into a good groove, and my breathing and pace are right, I can let my mind wander. It's a very zen, meditative state and I find it therapeutic. I tend to run after work or first thing on Saturday, so I find that runs help clear my head and shake off any stress. On long runs especially, I'm working too hard to think about anything beyond what I'm doing, and it helps break my thoughts out of anxiety-induced patterns.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,329 Member
    @yirara thanks for the support! Not sure I can not look at the time, but would love to employ that method!

Rest day today, gonna try 25 mins in the morning on a flat route.... let's see!

For those of you running / who have run longer intervals, what do you do to stop getting bored? Think I focused too much on the time last run because I was bored and wanted it over so I could get on with me day.....

Hmm... good questions. I'm a very heady person, and when I run I just think some interesting things through, or write some really stupid fan fiction in my head. Basically not sit behind the computer and do nothing, but let my thoughts wander while enjoying being outside. I also don't run with music as it would distract me during my me-time. I mean, we've so used to consuming media. Just leaving this all at home and being with myself. Well, kind of. I take my phone along and an HR sensor. Looking at how far I've come motivates me, and having a peek at the HR reading tells me whether I'm keeping my pace or suddenly start running faster or slower, etc... basically, I'm not bored.

(yeah, I slept miserably and am very tired. I hope this rambling makes kind of sense)
  • yirara
    grimendale wrote: »

I have a Spotify playlist full of songs I love with driving beats that helps, but honestly, I love the longer runs. When I get into a good groove, and my breathing and pace are right, I can let my mind wander. It's a very zen, meditative state and I find it therapeutic. I tend to run after work or first thing on Saturday, so I find that runs help clear my head and shake off any stress. On long runs especially, I'm working too hard to think about anything beyond what I'm doing, and it helps break my thoughts out of anxiety-induced patterns.

This, minus the music. Being a night person I usually cook/eat when I get home from work, then do nothing useful for a while, then go out running at around 8ish or a bit later. I'm a late runner as it's the time of the day where I have most energy. I also love it when it gets dark or running in the dark (longest day is Saturday and it will get darker earlier again. yay!). Even if I run the same route, everything always looks different at that time of the day. Plus water: seeing reflections in water makes me happy. Fortunately there's a lot of water here in the Netherlands, even in town.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    I found free downloadable classic audio books on podcasts and have been listening to a couple chapters when I run. Just finished Anne of Green Gables.
  • kilobykilo
    kilobykilo Posts: 800 Member
    @yirara whooop well done!

Thanks for the responses re fighting the boredom, yesterday I managed to zone out a lot more and was thinking about my breathing. Which, is way too laboured, but hoping that will improve with time as I get fitter!
  • klaak
    klaak Posts: 47 Member
    Hi everyone!! Are y'all still here? I'm starting to run again after a long break, need to slowly build up my endurance again. Also starting weight training again.
  • emmamcgarity
    yirara wrote: »
    10km! Took me nearly 90 minutes to get there, and I had to dig really, really deep today but I got there in the end without walking. B)
    Amazing! Congratulations! That distance is still out of reach for me but it doesn’t sound as impossible as it did a few months ago.
  • emmamcgarity
    klaak wrote: »
    Hi everyone!! Are y'all still here? I'm starting to run again after a long break, need to slowly build up my endurance again. Also starting weight training again.
    We are here! Are you doing c25k?
  • kilobykilo
    klaak wrote: »

Hi there, I'm becoming a runner for the first time.... starting week 8 of c25k today with a 28 minute run. My aim today is to go slow slow and try and keep my heart rate down. Also, I've got tired legs from an epic work out on Friday, so that might be the only way to get through it!

Happy Sunday everyone!
  • yirara
    @kilobykilo did you make it? <3

Yesterday I somehow started out too fast and knew I'd not keep it up. So I tried to do a fast (below 8min/km for me) 3km run, and managed it. Not bad for around 27C in the evening. Today I tried again, but it was equally warm and very humid. I was sweating tons of water, and just about managed 4km, at a much lower pace. Doesn't matter. I still enjoyed it and explored a new part of town. Epic fail: After giving up and resting I thought I could at least try a slightly fast 1km run (the website I use compares different distances), but had to give up after 220m already :D Oh well... lets keep it at: I'm not used to this hot weather anymore after 3 years in the cold pats of the UK :D
  • yirara
    Another month done!

My goal for this month was to run 51km. Well, I was off to a bad start as i was working abroad for the first 1.5 weeks, partly up to 18 hours and finished it off with a visit to ER with a gallbladder colic. For my run two days ago I'd planned to do 10km to get close to my goal but only managed 9 as it was close to 30 degrees C. So today I stil needed 6.1km. No problem, right? Well, my health isn't particularly good and I started out too fast. So I decided to at least get a variety of runs on the leader board and did a fast 3km, a rather fast 1km and finished off with an inbetween 1.61km. Done. Only... I didn't count properly and am still missing 500m. Oh shove it! I ran enough this month. So.
  • yirara
    Another month done!

My goal for this month was to run 51km. Well, I was off to a bad start as i was working abroad for the first 1.5 weeks, partly up to 18 hours and finished it off with a visit to ER with a gallbladder colic. For my run two days ago I'd planned to do 10km to get close to my goal but only managed 9 as it was close to 30 degrees C. So today I stil needed 6.1km. No problem, right? Well, my health isn't particularly good and I started out too fast. So I decided to at least get a variety of runs on the leader board and did a fast 3km, a rather fast 1km and finished off with an inbetween 1.61km, which I also used for a cooper test (so now you know how slow I run). Done. Only... I didn't count properly and am still missing 500m. Oh shove it! I ran enough this month. So.

How did your month go, all?
  • kilobykilo
    @yirara booo to your maths problem, but, well done you for getting out there and running despite your obstacles. Hope you're fighting fit soon.

I did finish couch 25km last week and did my first run of the bridge to 10km programme today.

In July, I'd like to interval run 70km this month. From my maths that should be just about doable, but, let's see!
  • yirara
    @kilobykilo congratulations on finishing C25k! In the end it wasn't quite so difficult to run a bit longer each time, wasn't it? Well done :)
  • kilobykilo
    Thank you!

I seem to be currently cycling through doing one run that I think may kill me before the end followed by one that makes me feel like I'm developing my inner Mo Farah..... you can guess which I prefer 🤣
  • yirara
    Thank you!

I seem to be currently cycling through doing one run that I think may kill me before the end followed by one that makes me feel like I'm developing my inner Mo Farah..... you can guess which I prefer 🤣

haha! yes, I know that feeling :) Today was clearly not a Mo Farah day for me :D
  • kilobykilo
    edited June 2019
    Nor me! I decided to do my intervals on the 10km course I'll be running in October. But, didn't factor in the 15 minute step incline that I have to walk to get to the start point. My legs were then tired about 2 mins in and i just wasnt expecting it.... they loved the walk interval but screamed at me when the second run started. I very nearly almost quit, so my win is that I got to the end, even if my second interval was A LOT slower than my first....!
  • yirara
    Nor me! I decided to do my intervals on the 10km course I'll be running in October. But, didn't factor in the 15 minute step incline that I have to walk to get to the start point. My legs were then tired about 2 mins in and i just wasnt expecting it.... they loved the walk interval but screamed at me when the second run started. I very nearly almost quit, so my win is that I got to the end, even if my second interval was A LOT slower than my first....!

But you made it, so congratulations :)
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    I signed up for a 10k charity race at the end of July so I started my "training" this past weekend. I ran a 10k at the end of March, but then baseball season took over (for my son) and we've been busy with that in the months of May and June. Now I'm back on track and ready to crush this 10k!