Clueless on baby gifts

perezlau
perezlau Posts: 35 Member
My boyfriend's sister is about to have a baby girl and I need to buy her a gift. Any products you recommend? It's her first baby girl.

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Does she have a registry? If she does...I'd go with that 100% so you know it's something she wants and needs for the baby.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Did you ask her or her spouse? They may know what they really need.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    perezlau wrote: »
    My boyfriend's sister is about to have a baby girl and I need to buy her a gift. Any products you recommend? It's her first baby girl.

Recommend baby carriers. Not too OTT for a brother's girlfriend.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    edited July 2019
    * Diaper genie. Poop management is often forgotten during the expecting/prepping stages. This is around $35
    * Walmart carries a Safety cum grooming kit around $16. When her baby girl has a runny nose, the sucking tool comes in handy.
  • whosshe
    whosshe Posts: 597 Member
    edited July 2019
    Ask what they need or if they have a registry then something off of that.
    If they say they need nothing and don't have a registry then size 1 diapers and a really nice baby memory book. Not a lot of parents can justify a 45$ memory book but some of them are so nice and I wish I had one lol

ETA- you can never go wrong with a huge box of wipes lol

Also this probably is not the right category to post in, next time you should post in the chit chat.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    I've heard hiring services out are wonderful gifts
    - hire a cleaning service for the first month, etc.,
    - food delivery service
    - Hire a home doula which I've heard is a really good one - arrange to have them help w/ feeding, cooking, laundry, house hold stuff

If I was about to be a first time parent I think I'd love any one of these.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    Shouldn't be the OP question in Chit-Chats instead "Maintaining Weight?
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    k8eekins wrote: »

Recommend baby carriers. Not too OTT for a brother's girlfriend.

A sling is my goto gift for all baby showers.
  • slbbw
    slbbw Posts: 329 Member
    teething bling is an awesome gift as are Aden&Anais receiving blankets. Otherwise giftcards to restaurants or grub hub.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Size 1 diapers and 1-3 month weather appropriate clothing are my go-to gifts. I give everyone this plus a set of refills since I found them to be a lifesaver with a newborn: https://www.target.com/p/munchkin-arm-hammer-diaper-bag-dispenser-bags-colors-may-vary/-/A-14026158
  • perezlau
    perezlau Posts: 35 Member
    Gisel2015 wrote: »

Lol true. I did not know where this would be posted and not sure how to delete.

But thank you everyone for the help!! Truly grateful
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited July 2019
    If there's no baby registry then I would just get diapers (size 1+) or gift certificates for take out. I think getting a bunch of "cute" clothes and towels, blankets etc. is kind of a waste in most cases. A lot goes un-used and those tend to be the go-to gifts that most people get. I would hesitate to get her a baby carrier or something "bigger" because they probably already know which items they want and maybe already have them...
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    Gisel2015 wrote: »

Lol true. I did not know where this would be posted and not sure how to delete.

But thank you everyone for the help!! Truly grateful

@perezlau
    Send a message to the moderators and ask them to move your posting to the Chit-Chat forum. You may get more answers in the proper place.

Good luck with the gift's ideas.
  • meganpettigrew86
    meganpettigrew86 Posts: 349 Member
    Clothes practical ones not just pretty ones. Don't get new born size some babies start too big for them. Avoid nappies unless you know they aren't going the cloth direction. Don't presume and get them the cloth either. Vouchers for baby stores are the safest.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    edited July 2019
    opps...ignor
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited July 2019
    i usually do a stuffed animal. and a soft blanket

eta: i do not do registries.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Always buy something from the registry if they have one. If there there is no registry my go to is zip-up sleepers, size 1 diapers, baby wipes or I bring dinner or takeout one night after they are home.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    edited July 2019
    mbaker566 wrote: »

Just curious - but may I ask why? I am not a parent, but almost all of my girlfriends have multiple kids (and a few now have grandchildren) and they ALL seem to agree about how much they love baby registries, so they don't get a bunch of "cute" or thoughtful, but not-so-necessary items.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    mbaker566 wrote: »

Just curious - but may I ask why? I am not a parent, but almost all of my girlfriends have multiple kids (and a few now have grandchildren) and they ALL seem to agree about how much they love baby registries, so they don't get a bunch of "cute" or thoughtful, but not-so-necessary items.

because a lot of it is functional. my family is very practical. i try to do thoughtful and practical with whatever theme the baby room is.
    that and don't tell me what to do! You're not my mom :wink: