New to the Group? Introduce yourself here.

Replies

• Pamela_Sue
    Pamela_Sue Posts: 563 Member
    Hi, my name is Pam and I am 60. I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes about 5 years ago. I also have lifelong major depression and just didn't care about anything, including my diabetes. Fortunately, my depression has greatly lifted this year, and at a great time, since my lab results in April were abysmal. A1C about 10 (it was 4.5 a year ago), and the urine test for protein(?) was just over 30 for the first time (under 30 is normal). My cholesterol is bad (I am on Fenofibrate), and my blood pressure is close to 145/90. The doctor finally put the fear into me, and I just started on my new life program. She is giving me until mid-July to make improvements. I am seeing a dietitian and have started using my Contour Next monitor for the first time. My dietitian has me on a 1,500 calorie diet as she wants me to drop some of these 70 pounds soon. 1,500 calories is really hard; today is day 3, but I think I can do it. I am also doing under 1,700 mg of sodium, so I had to get away from all the processed foods. My daily sodium was over 4,000! I am on 1,000 mg of Metformin daily, plus the weekly Trulicity. Last week I started stationary biking 30 minutes 6 x a week (thanks for the tip I just read about using it for 15 minutes after each meal!). I also have a Total Gym I will dust off once I get my bedroom rearranged in the next week or two. My Fitness Pal is a blessing for me. I have been a member for 2 years, but rarely used. But I don't want to end up with an amputated foot like my diabetic uncle, or with a heart attack or stroke. I have stroke phobia and paranoia. I have probably done damage to my body that cannot be reversed, but with hard work, I believe I can greatly improve my health moving forward. Look forward to learning and sharing with others.
  • Dadof8
    Dadof8 Posts: 146 Member
    Welcome back Pam! I'm 64, I was diagnosed with T2D, 8 years ago and jumped on the exercise bandwagon, after 6 months had dropped about 30 lbs. My problem was that I couldn't sustain the exercise regime. I was working out 2+ hours a day and eventually fell off the wagon. At my last Dr. appt. my A1C was up to 12.2. I knew that along with blood glucose control, weight loss was needed. Since weight loss is a combination of exercise and diet and I'd tried exercise, I figured this time I'd try diet. One of my 7 daughters was on a low carb diet (Keto) so I gave it a shot. 9 weeks of being back on the wagon I'm testing my eAG every morning, most are in the 85-90 range occasionally spiking up to the mid 90s. I'm still on 1000 mg of Metformin ER and I've lost 24 lbs. Doc gave me 12 weeks to lose 30 lbs and drop my A1C below 8. Things seem to be on track. At this point I'm starting to work in some more exercise but I would suggest that you look into some low carb diets (keto, LCHF "Low Carb High Fat", adkins, paleo) they all seem to be variation on a theme of Low Carbs. I hope I didn't offend to many devotees of each by lumping them together. I know you can get a lot of opinions from a lot of well meaning folks who have found something that's worked for them but you have to find what works for you. I'm not pushing anything I just thought I'd share my experience and hopefully help you find what works for you. Again, welcome back.
  • Pamela_Sue
    Thank you, Dadof8. Sounds as if we are currently in the same boat, with our doctors giving us 3 months to make improvements. I have been monitoring my blood glucose and carbs several times a day for the last 2 1/2 weeks and I definitely see a correlation between the amount of carbs I eat and the blood glucose numbers. My dietitian started me at 30 to 60 carbs per meal, but I have found that my numbers are steadily improving around the 30 to 40 carbs per meal number. 60 grams of carbs was too much for me. I am now in the 110's for morning fasting and in the 120's for 2 hours after meal. These are great improvements from where I started 2 1/2 weeks ago and they continue to go down as I tweak my diet. I enjoy carbs, so my hope is that I can continue carbs in moderation. It all depends on my blood glucose numbers; they are ultimately driving my nutrition decisions. If need be, I will go 'lower carb'. Great job on the 24 pound weight loss! I have lost 13 pounds since February (I started dieting before my April doctor's appointment). I look forward to hearing your results from your next doctor appointment. Mine is in mid-July. Bye!
  • jmazda
    jmazda Posts: 2 Member
    Hi, I'm Susan. I was just diagnosed last week with T2 Diabetes. I'm waiting to hear when my first appointment with the dietician will be. Until then, what are some of the more common things I should be watching out for or avoiding?
    Thanks
  • Nadia222222
    Nadia222222 Posts: 59 Member
    Hi my name is Diane and I just recently got diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes. My A1C is 7.3 HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • chelny
    chelny Posts: 179 Member
    Hi Susan & Nadia. A lot of people find their blood sugar levels improve as they lose weight. So, that is something the dietitian will probably recommend. There is a pinned thread in this group with a bunch of resources about diabetes. Personally, I say avoid carbs (I eat low carb/keto). Some people disagree with that, like my dietitian. You need to figure out what works for you, your body. Everyone is different and reacts differently.
  • Pamela_Sue
    Hi Susan and Diane. Welcome to the group. I am new here also, but have had diabetes about 5 years. Finally getting serious, and am SO glad you are taking it seriously from the beginning. Seeing the dietitian is such an important first step, as most are also diabetes educators. Mine taught me how to use my blood glucose monitor, and set up a low calorie, lower sodium diet for me (my blood pressure is borderline). (I watch my carbs, but am not doing 'low carb', although it is successful for many diabetics.) Recommendations: 1) See a dietitian asap. 2) Learn to monitor your blood glucose (dietitian or nurse will show you how). 3) Read and research. You are your own best advocate. As Chelny suggested, read the links in this group. Go to American Diabetes Association website and read. Google. My dietitian gave me a great 70 page book they had put together. Write down questions to ask your dietitian. 4) Log your current food daily into MFP, even if it is bad. Take some samples to your dietitian appointment so they know what you are currently eating. 5) Think about starting an exercise plan. I learned that exercise helps with insulin resistance; that fact finally got me up and going. My dietitian recommended 150 minutes of cardio each week, plus 2 to 3 days resistance training weekly (she is more focused on the cardio than the resistance training for now). Yours may recommend something different for you.
    And as Chelney said, we are all different, and react differently. These are my starting recommendations. Feel free to ask any questions, and my apologies if I am too long-winded.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,572 Member
    I think the keys to success for newly diagnosed diabetics are to monitor BG closely and log everything. Watch the impact of diet and exercise on your BG. Lose some weight if you need to.
  • jmazda
    jmazda Posts: 2 Member
    Thank you. At this point I don’t have to monitor my BG myself. My doctor is doing that every 3 months for me. My AC1 was 6.7 last week.
    I’ve started logging everything I eat and I’m surprised that some of the things I thought were healthy, actually aren’t.
  • mskatz1966
    mskatz1966 Posts: 36 Member
    Hi; I am a 75 year old diabetic; now under strict weight management guidance at the Palo Alto Medical Clinic--Encina boutique practice; have been meeting for 5 weeks+, on a weekly basis with a brilliant, warm nurse practitioner, who has almost 15 years of experience with weight management--
    Started with her at 247.6--weighed today on my scale a 227.1; have gone off glipizide; last A1c in March was7.3;
    now taking Trulicity for several months--appetite suppressant as well as diabetic medicine.
    Now using free style libre sensor for a month--new sensor is giving me wrong low glucose blood readings--almost 50 pts. below one touch ultra 2 glucometer; yesterday evening--69 on reader--113 on glucometer; late evening after diiner 105 on reader--179 on one touch; this morning 77 on free style reader and 138 on glucometer;
    anyone with experience with Abbott Labs.

P.S Have been weighing and measuring for about 3-4 weeks with my fitness pal--started at 138.7--now 227.1 on my scale.

Was about 250 lbs for a long time--as recently as March.
  • juliestarr6926
    juliestarr6926 Posts: 5 Member
    Hi my name is Julie. I was diagnosed with T2 on June 16, 2019. pretty bummed. gained 50 lbs when i quit smoking in Aug 2018 now diabetic.
  • 2t9nty
    Hi my name is Julie. I was diagnosed with T2 on June 16, 2019. pretty bummed. gained 50 lbs when i quit smoking in Aug 2018 now diabetic.

You can lose the weight and get that BG back where it belongs. I have confidence in you.
  • juliestarr6926
    juliestarr6926 Posts: 5 Member
    Thank you! I am bound and determined to loose the weight.
  • markmac904
    markmac904 Posts: 1 Member
    Hi. My name is Mark. Am 66yo and was diagnosed T2 last week. A1C is only at 6.5 but not where it should be. Was diagnosed pre-diabetic a couple of years ago but did not take it seriously. Need to lose about 75 pounds. I do exercise but am not consistent with it. My doctor has me monitoring my BG level 1x per day and is sending me to management classes. I am not on medication yet and absolutely do not want to be, if I can help it.
  • BrianKMcFalls
    BrianKMcFalls Posts: 190 Member
    Hi, I'm Brian. I was diagnosed type 2 at the end of May. A1C 8.5 at the time, currently on 500mg Metformin twice daily. Went to class and got my meter mid June. Checking BG once a day and my numbers have looked good. Had my first follow up appointment with the doctor yesterday. Rechecked A1C, even though it's only been 2 months, should hear results today. I had lost 22 pounds, the doc was pleased.
  • 2t9nty
    Hi, I'm Brian. I was diagnosed type 2 at the end of May. A1C 8.5 at the time, currently on 500mg Metformin twice daily. Went to class and got my meter mid June. Checking BG once a day and my numbers have looked good. Had my first follow up appointment with the doctor yesterday. Rechecked A1C, even though it's only been 2 months, should hear results today. I had lost 22 pounds, the doc was pleased.

How was that A1C?
  • LouVee186000
    LouVee186000 Posts: 81 Member
    Hi, my name is Lou. I was diagnosed as Type 2 in March of 2019. At the time of my tests, A1C was 7.7 and GL was 150. Who knows how long I had been living with these stats? I was ashamed and disgusted with myself, because I had been living with 100+ too many lbs on my body for years, and that had to have contributed to the T2.

Although I was seriously depressed for the first couple of weeks, I made changes anyway. I was lost -- I knew what I could not eat, but what was allowed? The doctor (who I like) provided me some good guidelines. It was a start.

I went cold turkey on all the food I loved (all processed food, sweet treats) and focused on plants and quality meats. The weight started to come off.

At my next blood tests in May I had dropped 40 lbs. My A1C was 5.9, GL was 97, and my insulin was normal! It was very gratifying.

I'm due to take my next tests later this month. As of this morning I'm down 67 lbs. My fasting GL readings have looked good, so I'm hoping for an even lower A1C. I'm still on 500mg of metformin twice a day.

Glad to have found this group!

• siouxieq62
    siouxieq62 Posts: 16 Member
    edited August 2019
    Hi LouVee186000 great job on the weight loss!! Did you go Keto by any chance??
  • siouxieq62
    siouxieq62 Posts: 16 Member
    Hello everyone. I was diagnosed with T2 in Sept of 2017. Since then I have been weighing and measuring everything I eat -( Metformin 2x day and clean eating only) and lost 25 lbs. Then at Christmas I fell off the wagon and gained 8 pounds :( Since then I have been struggling to lose it again and get back on track, while seeing my fasting sugars bounce around between 5.3 to 6.9. Hoping this group will re-inspire me and add a little more accountability.
  • BrianKMcFalls
    BrianKMcFalls Posts: 190 Member
    2t9nty wrote: »

How was that A1C?

5.7, so slightly high, but he thinks I can come off the Metformin and my blood pressure medication in 4 months, if everything still looks good. Even said he would remove the diagnosis from my chart. That's pretty good motivation to keep up the low carb eating plan and exercise.