What gives you water weight?

Heyy:) Was just wondering, is it high sodium intake that gives you water weight?

Replies

• Melh1969
    Melh1969 Posts: 29 Member
    edited July 2019
    I definitely retain more fluid after a salty meal. It usually takes a couple of days to dissipate.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Exercise does it for me... Weight lifting especially starting up after a break, a new program or adding volume.
  • bellacelina2
    bellacelina2 Posts: 92 Member
    Wow, I see!! thank you so much guys, I understand now, very helpful answers:) Thank you so much for replying to my post <3:) hope you all have a great day on^^<33
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Also sunburn, some injuries, and excessive outdoor temperatures, for me!

http://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/

Up one pound... Sunburns totally suck. :grumble:
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    edited July 2019
    Salt and carbs.

For me
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Had a double cup a soup today. Tonight my weight was up by 1kg compared to previous evenings. Yep, that stuff is very salty.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Salt, starchy carbs, hot weather. I also retain water when I’m sick.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,970 Member
    edited July 2019
    Lots of things can put on water weight. For my body, I've noticed the following trends:
    • Salty/high sodium meals
    • High electrolyte intake (required during hot race weekends for me)
    • Hard workouts
    • Eating out (generally from sodium, but other factors like types of foods probably also contribute)

Depending on what the reason is, it may take DAYS if not the better part of a week for the scale to go back to "normal." When losing weight, I'm also prone to "wooshes" (which there are scientific reasons for).
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    I forgot alcohol. I retain water for nearly a week after I have a couple of drinks.
  • katiesmom_99
    katiesmom_99 Posts: 87 Member
    vanityy99 wrote: »
    Salt and carbs.

For me

And me. I had one serving of pasta alfredo last night and today have been bloated and miserable. It will be no surprise if the scale goes the wrong direction tomorrow morning :(