Knees go outward during deadlifts

Hi everyone I have been doing deadlifts for a while however last week when I lifted i heavier weight I noticed my knee bent outward, I was doing some more but with a lower weight and I noticed both my knees bend outward it looks worrying does anyone know why this is as I want to improve it because I don’t want my knees to snap

Replies

• patrickrea2002
    patrickrea2002 Posts: 83 Member
    It’s only on the way up when I’m lifting the weight my knees just go outwards
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Do you lift conventional or sumo?

If you post a video, people can help you more.
  • patrickrea2002
    I’ll post a vid now this was the heavy lift
  • patrickrea2002
    How do I post a video ?
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Rest assured your knees won't snap unless somebody missile kicks you or you have a rare disease.

Copy and paste a YouTube or IG link to your video.

Actually knees out slightly is perfectly normal and engages more hips during a deaflift. I might cue knee out to my lifters who pull conventional or sumo depending on their habits and body structure.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Rest assured your knees won't snap unless somebody missile kicks you or you have a rare disease.

Actually knees out slightly is perfectly normal and engages more hips during a deaflift. I might cue knee out to my lifters who pull conventional or sumo depending on their habits and body structure.

I'm no expert, but when the glutes pull they turn the legs (and thus the knees) outward. It means more hip engagement.

I've only heard bad things about the knees caving in during squats. In fact I've been encouraged to push my knees out.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Chieflrg wrote: »

I'm no expert, but when the glutes pull they turn the legs (and thus the knees) outward. It means more hip engagement.

I've only heard bad things about the knees caving in during squats. In fact I've been encouraged to push my knees out.

Valgus knee has had a bad rep for many years. It's not nearly as problematic or even dangerous as the "experts" on youtube, IG, etc...preach. I would be concerned if it was drastic and knees were actually close to touching. I wouldn't be concerned with slight Valgus in most cases.

That being said if Valgus knee happens during a squat, requisite strength to keep your knees out might needed to be trained or "cued" in certain lufters. In general it could help establish a more stacked position but doesn't necessarily mean something is wrong or needs fixing either.

I have newer lifters and very strong experienced lifters who have no issues with it. We as humans will adapt to many situations if our training is done with appropriate load management.

With a conventional dead I cue some lifters to have the knees push slightly out tracking toes barely touching the elbow area before pulling the slack out of the barbell and trying to keep them there. Once again this is on a individual basis, but generally where I will start as a "how to learn" template and make adjustments.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    I get a sore knee when I allow it to cave in at all during squats. I always push them out and try to maintain that form with deadlifts as well. It is what I learned in my exercise rehab classes(basic classes admittedly) in college. If you are not having pain I would say you are good. But it is worth a check with a physiotherapist if you are concerned.
  • lukejoycePT
    lukejoycePT Posts: 182 Member
    Your Glutes are weakest in the chain. Try doing "fire hydrants" to warm up your posterior chain pre deadlifts. Add some glute focused assistance work such as bridges or banded walks afterwards. We all have imbalances, you just need to focus a little more on yours. Don't go higher on your deadlift till you can pull that weight without your knees moving outwards.