What is different this time from all the times before?

I found myself every Monday morning starting over. I'd do great until Wednesday or Thursday evening when work and life would get me down and I'd say a few pints and some wings or a burger would do me right and it would for the evening. Next day I'd be kicking myself. I would convince myself that I might as well enjoy the weekend because I screwed up again, and I would. Repeat and repeat. I'm not terribly out of shape. I'm a land surveyor and I walk around 10000 steps a day and have always had a healthy breakfast and lunch. I have just let myself go. So what made me finally commit after 200 restarts? I don't like myself. I don't like what I see in the mirror. I know it's in me to do it. I want to, I have to. I'm 43, not getting any younger, and I have to lose 40 pounds. I have a closet full of shirts I can't button anymore 🤣 I finally convinced myself that if I don't do it now, it'll be never.

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,970 Member
    Welcome to the community! <3

What style of eating most closely represents you? For example, I eat plant based with fish, eggs and dairy.

All you need to lose weight is a calorie deficit. Did you set up your food diary?

You know you can do this. You just have to be ready.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    It is all about learning.

Self-love is NOT self-indulgent.
    Self-love is NOT self-abuse.

Your body is great and powerful, your gift to do the works your mind dreams to do.
  • shon4145
    shon4145 Posts: 10 Member
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    Welcome to the community! <3

What style of eating most closely represents you? For example, I eat plant based with fish, eggs and dairy.

All you need to lose weight is a calorie deficit. Did you set up your food diary?

You know you can do this. You just have to be ready.

Yes I have set up a food diary. It is all about the math. I have just been consuming more than I was burning off in the day. Working on it! 😁
  • LittleLightShine
    LittleLightShine Posts: 123 Member
    Sounds like you are ready to make changes. It definitely has to come from within. I’ve lost weight twice before. Once with WW. The next time drinking protein shakes. Neither stuck. This time, I’m COCO and only eating real food that I mostly make myself. Learning about how many calories are in foods and tracking for the past seven months has been life changing and feels sustainable. Good luck on your journey. You can do it if YOU want to!
  • bjkoziara
    bjkoziara Posts: 158 Member
    I've started and failed more times than I can count. All the other times I hated myself so much and felt that being thin might make me hate myself less.

This time I finally love myself enough that I want to be around for as long as I can. I don't have any health issues that can come with obesity, and I would rather not get to that point either.
  • adotbaby
    adotbaby Posts: 199 Member
    You're on the right track. Take it one day at a time, or one meal at a time. Watch portion sizes, and you'll get there.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    edited July 2019
    Hi and welcome! I’m 63 now and had been overweight my whole life—the last couple years crossing over into obese (BMI 31).

What was different this time: I joined up here at the beginning of 1018, plugged in my info and decided for once in my life to trust the process. I read the forums daily and logged everything I consumed as well as my exercise. Some days were easier than others but the important thing was I did it every single day. Along the way I learned all about CICO and that perfection was not needed to be successful. One bad day or meal did not mean I failed—this is not a quick fix— and I can’t emphasize enough the importance of patience. I simply ate foods I liked in portions that fit into my calorie goals.

I had a goal in mind and after 9 months I ended up exceeding that goal by 20 pounds, ultimately losing a total of 44 pounds. I’ve maintained a normal BMI (23) for 10 months.

You can do this. Best of luck to you!

• brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    i did some emotional work this time, journaled some and got rid of toxic people in my life, learned to love myself and set boundaries, found pleasure in things besides foods. I got tired of doing this destructive eating to myself, so basically learning to be good to me. Overeating is doing nothing positive for me, I want positiveness in my life!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,281 Member
    For me, it was getting to a point of no return. You realize you've pushed it all too far. It is now or never. Lose the fat or keep getting fatter.. little by little .. ounces. every day. bigger...bigger...larger lager...

..or? get smaller smaller ... ounce by ounce..inch by inch...get smaller..and more fit...

I choose which way I wanted to live..
  • prplgds
    prplgds Posts: 6 Member
    It was seeing my husband’s pictures on his phone that he took of me this week. That’s not who I see in my head. But that is what others see and that’s not who I want to be. I want to be who I see in my head. It’s time to do this. We can and will.