Healthy One Handed Meals!

Hi!

This is a tough one...

I recently started a new career (September) and I've since hard a really hard time with meals...

My new job finds me driving a LOT. Breakfasts and lunches are generally consumed one-handed as I barrel down the road. This, along with the stress and depression that came along with a new career, has caused my weight to rise to it's highest ever. I'm really hoping for some low-cal, low-carb meals that are satisfying, don't require refrigeration or heating, and can be eaten safely and comfortably with one hand.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• olivebegonia1
    olivebegonia1 Posts: 10 Member
    There's no safe way to drive with one hand. Is it worth killing yourself or others?
    Get up 15 minutes earlier so you can have breakfast at home before you leave.
    Take 15 minutes parked in your car to eat a sandwich for lunch.
    My husband was hit by a distracted driver while he was riding his bike and has permanent injuries.

I'm so sorry to hear this. My condolences.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Smoothie is about the safest thing I could recommend besides just taking 5 min to eat before driving. Spirutein is loaded with vitamins, so you can just add whatever milk you like or coffee. Or any protein powder with some frozen fruit or veggies blended in. I've thought about how I would handle a long commute plus long work hours and this is what I thought would work for me(coffee protein shake). Other grab and go items would be trail mix/nuts and fruits like banana or apple, and protein bars but to eat at work or for snack.
  • Miss_Snow_White
    Miss_Snow_White Posts: 64 Member
    edited July 2019
    I like GNC total lean shake or the total lean burn (the burn shakes have caffeine) shakes. They're a nice meal replacement and they are pretty damn taste and easy to drink. Sorry the app won't let me share a pic. But the mocha ones are my favorite.
  • olivebegonia1
    I appreciate everyone's tips. I also am keenly aware of everyone's concerns.

That being said: Allow me to map out a typical day for me.

Leave house at 7:45
    Arrive at client's house at 8:15
    Drop client off to work at 8:30
    Drive
    Arrive at second client's house 8:45
    Drop second client off at work: 9:00
    Drive
    Return to first client: 9:15
    Support first client until shift end (shift ends at 10:15)
    Drive first client home 10:15-10:30
    Drive back to second client 10:30-10:45
    Drive second client home 11:00-11:15
    Drive to third client 11:15-11:45
    Support third client 11:45-12:30
    Drive to fourth client 12-30:12:45
    Drive fourth client to work 12:45 -1:00
    Support fourth client until shift ends (Shift ends at 3:00)
    Drive fourth client home 3:00 -3:15
    Drive back to work 3:15-3:30
    Do paperwork 3:30-3:45

Sometimes, it's even more hectic.

I had been hitting a lot of drive-thrus for food. This resulted in a weight gain.

What I'm interested in is healthy meals I can consume while working this job. I know it's not ideal. But, let's face it - if everything were ideal, I wouldn't be asking for advice.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    What time do you get up? Get up 15 minutes earlier and have a small breakfast like overnight oats or some fruit and a yogurt.
  • olivebegonia1
    I agree, don’t eat whilst driving. Sooner or later it’s going to cause a problem and if you’re doing it day in and day out it’ll likely be sooner.

As people have said, eat breakfast before leaving home (if that means you get up 15 mins earlier, then do that. 7:45 is not such an early start after all.

I would question whether if you’re finished driving and are able to do paperwork by 3:30pm if you really need to eat until this time. You’ve not mentioned anything about medical issues that might require more frequent meals. It’s not unheard of for people to go 8 hours or more without sustenance. We mostly do it every night whilst asleep, after all! Yes, ok, you’re not expending so much energy during sleep but I’m sure if you eat a decent breakfast with good protein and fats you could make it through quite happily.