Maintaining low inches but gaining weight?

Options
I’m currently 10lbs up but my inches are still at an all time low.
I used to just run and do light weights until 3 months ago and now I do a range of exercises, weights and have been focusing on gaining muscle. My Fitbit tells me I burn between 2,000-3,200 calories per day, I try to keep to around 1,700 calories per day in general and have 2 days a week I allow up to 2,500 calories.

I’ve had full blood work at the doctors too due to increased thirst (4-5 litres a day min) all came back clear including diabetes test.

I feel like I’m making great strides in my fitness and I don’t look any different but the scales just won’t drop back!

Any ideas?

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    How long has this been going on? It sounds like your muscles are temporarily retaining water to assist in repairs due to your new exercise program. As long as you feel good and your clothes still fit, carry on!
  • krystal_hayes
    krystal_hayes Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had to change from running 3 months ago to low impact exercises and then I’ve just continued varied exercise alongside running once I was recovered. I push myself quiet a bit and my Fitbit often says I’ve had 7 out of 7 days exercise as I walk a lot. Although I visit the gym 4 times a week.

The thirst and weight gain has probably been 4-6 weeks ago it started but crept up over time.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Unless you measure around every single inch of your body, measurements don’t necessarily have much relationship to weight. You can gain or lose from anywhere on the body, including areas you can’t or don’t measure.

Gradual weight creep over a month could be water and/or fat. It sounds like you’re doing more activity than before, and in that case it’s normal to retain water as part of the muscle repair process

It also sounds like you aren’t consistently staying within your calorie goal, so it’s possible that some of the gain is fat. However, you’d need to be eating WAY over your maintenance calories to gain 10 pounds of fat in a month. Unless your logging has some big errors, it’s not all fat.

I’d tighten up your logging, weigh all your food if you don’t already, make sure you’re consistently in a calorie deficit for the week, and then give it time for the water weight to come off.