Starting runners:lets motivate each others

Replies

• grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    I've got the Peacthree Road Race 10k on Thursday. I'm hoping to better my time from my last race, so hoping for below 78 minutes.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,388 Member
    grimendale wrote: »
    I've got the Peacthree Road Race 10k on Thursday. I'm hoping to better my time from my last race, so hoping for below 78 minutes.

Whoa! You're faster than me! Go for it.
  • grebber1
    grebber1 Posts: 216 Member
    I'm planning on doing the couch to 5k. I diet and ride bikes atm and that's pretty much it. Also going to start lifting son when my garage is cleaned out and weights put in. Years ago I jogged some to lose weight and it helped. I'm down from 430 pounds to just under 270. Its getting hard to lose and need to shake things up
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    grebber1 wrote: »
    I'm planning on doing the couch to 5k. I diet and ride bikes atm and that's pretty much it. Also going to start lifting son when my garage is cleaned out and weights put in. Years ago I jogged some to lose weight and it helped. I'm down from 430 pounds to just under 270. Its getting hard to lose and need to shake things up
    I will tag you in the thread for several who just started c25k in July. I found it very motivating to chat with others in a similar stage of the program. There are also stickies in that group with lots of helpful information. Congrats on your amazing weight loss!
  • yirara
    Woops! I've been inline skating pretty with with alternating days with running at the moment. Skating is a lot easier for me than running as my blood pressure tends to crash down when I run too fast, lift up my legs too much, or run a wee bit uphill. This doesn't happen with skating as the movement is different. Anyway, went on a 20km/1h skate yesterday and didn't expect much from today's run. Turns out I did the fastest 5k in ages, and it felt easy. I could have done it quite a bit faster but only noticed 2.5km in that it might be a good run. Well.. good.. still only a pace of 8:12min/km, but that's fast for me <3
  • reedup
    reedup Posts: 2 Member
    I have run in the past but not for a very long time. I want to start c25k this next week and would LOVE accountability.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    reedup wrote: »
    I have run in the past but not for a very long time. I want to start c25k this next week and would LOVE accountability.

There is a group that just started c25k in July. I will tag you in that thread since you may find it motivating to chat with others on a similar program as you at the same time.

• busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    I'm sticking to my 10k training plan and so far, so good. I'm running every other day with my longest run being 4 miles so far. I have 2 weeks until my charity 10k race and hope to get a time close to what I got at my last race so that is my motivator (although I'm 10lbs heavier this time :s )
  • yirara
    edited July 2019
    Since having my thyroid meds adjusted I'm able to run better and faster. Actually, it feels nearly easy. Yesterday it felt like I could go on for ages, until, at just past 5.5km I all of a sudden was out of breath and my legs were heavy again, as usual. Looking at the HR data at home I found this at that location:

66186615_10157445921880816_4516341936344268800_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_oc=AQkjmzxQLfkVCGrN-V-3smA1FA75DvQgdqDp5NjQD35q1rSOpplijzylU7Ua6ca5K1I&_nc_ht=scontent-amt2-1.xx&oh=386986008fdbb6084b3c4cd3098d44ca&oe=5D7A72F9

Oops, ok then. As Fitbit recorded the same then it's real. Well, next run might work out without a HR crash.
  • busyPK
    I stuck to my 10k training plan and ran the charity 10k ravr on Saturday. I finished within the time I was going for (74 minutes) and walked for only about 2 minutes. My plan is to continue to run 3 times a week between 2-4 miles each running session. :smile:
  • kilobykilo
    kilobykilo Posts: 800 Member
    Well done @busyPK ! I'm getting towards the end of C210km and nowhere near 10km as doubt I'll ever be doing 10km in under an hour!!! What did you do to move from the 60min to the 10km?
  • Buckyz22
    Buckyz22 Posts: 2,611 Member
    Hi I'm Don...I have been running for just over a year now...have ran many races at varying distances.....log on daily...please feel free to add me.....
  • busyPK
    kilobykilo wrote: »
    Well done @busyPK ! I'm getting towards the end of C210km and nowhere near 10km as doubt I'll ever be doing 10km in under an hour!!! What did you do to move from the 60min to the 10km?

I won't do a 10k in under an hour either, ever. I was an hour and 14 minutes for me.
    I made up my own 4 week plan before my 10k.
    I ran 3mi twice a week then 4mi once a week for the first 2 weeks. Also fast walked another day for 2mi.
    Last 2 weeks before my 10k I did the same 3mi twice a week then a 4.5-5mi jog.
    I never pushed myself to get the runs completed in a certain time - just listened to my body and slowed when needed.
    I never ran more than 4.5mi within my 4wk plan.
    I never did a certain time run (like 60 minutes). I go off of miles and adjust my pace if I'm tired, out of breath, etc.
    Let's be honest - I never jogged ALL of any of those distances. I'd take 1-2 minute breaks when I needed it and go back to jogging, slowly.
    This worked for me, but it won't work for lots of people. I ran a 10k race at the end of March so I'm sort of use to that distance, but you won't see me jogging any further. :D
  • kilobykilo
    kilobykilo Posts: 800 Member
    @busyPK , thanks for that!
    I also have no desire to go further, and for my first race just want to finish it....! But, once that's done getting faster will be my aim. I think I'll switch to focusing on distance and also strengthening my legs as they are weak at the moment and the smallest hill makes them scream at me!!!
  • busyPK
    kilobykilo wrote: »
    @busyPK , thanks for that!
    I also have no desire to go further, and for my first race just want to finish it....! But, once that's done getting faster will be my aim. I think I'll switch to focusing on distance and also strengthening my legs as they are weak at the moment and the smallest hill makes them scream at me!!!

I'm no fan of hills either! I do 90% of my training on a treadmill on 0% incline. The 10k charity race I did this past weekend was advertised as a "flat, PR type course" so very few, small inclines only. :)
  • busyPK
    I signed up for my next 10k race - September 7. I'm writing out my 5.5 week plan now. Doing this will keep me on track. :smile:
  • Pickle107
    Pickle107 Posts: 153 Member
    I'm just back running after an effective break of a couple of years minus the odd blip. I have a 10k and half marathon booked soon. Maybe a bit too soon but they're the last local events this year that I can get to.
  • snits21
    snits21 Posts: 7 Member
    A couple years ago I weighed around 250lbs. For me, someone that use to play basketball year around, it hit me pretty hard.
    I told myself I wanted to hit my ideal goal weight of 200lbs. I didn’t have any expectations for time in losing that weight.

I started running around 15-20 miles weekly and lost all 50lbs in 7 months. I was able to keep my weight around the 200lbs for about 2 years until my wife and I had our second child. I lost my focus because my time was needed elsewhere (family, work, etc.), and I gained back roughly 20lbs.

Over the last month or so, I have really started to focus again on getting myself back into shape(goal weight) and keep myself health by eating a lot cleaner by watching what I eat. I have lost over 9lbs in that time and continue to move closer to my goal weight.

It’s funny, I never use to like to run, but know I am addicted to running and keeping myself healthy for my family.

Have a great weekend everyone! Keep running
  • yirara
    Go on guys, you're all doing great <3

Me, I currently can't run. I'm recovering from a surgery on Monday. I guess I could run even though there's still some unpleasant feeling in my tummy, but I also somehow got a bronchitis along the way. If I wasn't so clumsy in general I might get my skates out. Oh well...
  • Leigh_1216
    Leigh_1216 Posts: 3 Member
    Ran 3.04k today! Very overweight but shaved 20 seconds off my time and it’s a humid day here in Thailand! Big storm coming!